cardiomyopathy, ? myopathy, Guillian Barre syndrome
I am a pediatrician. last week a 4years old girl was admitted to our ward with picture of heart failure.echo revealed global hypokinesia of lt ventricle. she was treated with lanoxin, lasix, capoten and L- carnitine. the galloping rhythm disappeared and her distress was improved despite still tachycardic. the mother reported progressive weakness in her lower limbs and increasing hypotonia was observed. family history was positive for delayed motor development in this girl as well as her younger brother, in addition to death of other 2 sibs with ? similar condition. myopathy in association with cardiomyopathy was considered and EMG and nerve conduction were ordered. to our surprise, this revealed Guillian Barre syndrome. my question is: could Guillian Barre syndrome be associated with dilated cardiomyopathy? and have you seen familiar cases of guillian Barre syndrome?
Interesting cases but I think it's more of a doctor's forum question.