ccordray
i am 6'1", 64 yrs old, 240 lbs and my bp is normally, with meds, 145/70. i have been riding a bicycle seriously for a year now, and just completed the seattle to portland ride, which covered 200 miles in two days. for 3 or 4 days after this exercise, my bp was in the 120/60 range w/out meds. now, for the last two mornings, i have woke up with bp  153/85, then 170/100. i am taking capoten twice a day and a felodipine long lasting once a day. whats up with this? i rode 25 miles the other night, and average about a 100 miles a week-shouldn't the exercise help. i have gone from 283 to 240 lbs over the last year.

thank you

cole
Have you thought about your electrolyte intake? You could have consumed too much sodium during the ride if you were pushing sports drinks. Eat low sodium a few days and push the liquids and you should go down over a few days. If you do eat lower than usual amounts of salt be sure and eat high potassium like bananas, but being a bike rider I am sure you are very aware a cramps. Avoid liquorice and I think that the enzyme in grapefruit juice (OATP) that you need to avoid because of your felodipine is also present in grape juice as well.

Thatch
About a minute ago, i drank a bottle of grape juice. my bp is now 128/82, so maybe you are right. i did push electrolytes during the ride, and sweated more than usual because of the heat/humidity. i am from eastern oregon and unused to the high humidity on the western side. i will ease the sodium, which i watch anyway, and eat my bananas.

thank you

cole