Heart Disease Expert Forum
chances of improving an ejection fraction of 30-35% by cardiac rehab an...

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

chances of improving an ejection fraction of 30-35% by cardiac rehab and meds

I am 54 and had an acute MI. Subsequently it was determined that my ejection fraction had decreased to 30-35%. It has now been 60 days since the heart attack and the ejection fraction remains at 30-35 %. Medications include lipitor ( 80 mg), Plavix (75 mg), Avapro ( 150 mg) , Aspirin (325 mg) and Toprol XL (25 mg). I am now in a cadio rehab program. Is there anything which I can do to either improve the ejection fraction or to prevent it from becoming worse?  I have been told that the rehab probably will not help the ejection fraction per se.
Additionally, I have read that lipitor depletes co-enzyme Q-10. Is there any harm in taking 100 mg of Q-10 daily.

Thank you

apd,

Thanks for the post. Im sorry to hear of your events.

Some people have significant remodeling of their ventricle on medical therapy. While I generally use an ACE inhibitor instead of an ARB after an MI, overall you are on a pretty good regimen.

The most important thing for you is to try to maximize your medical therapy and overall cardiovascular fitness. While its hard not to focus on your ejection fraction, the most important predictor for your long term health is how symptomatic you are and how fit you are. With this in mind, again the focus should be on your fitness level.

While there probably isnt any harm for Q-10, there is significant experience with Statins, that really negate the purported benefits of taking the supplements.

good luck
This is also very confusing to me.  I was told that I had a higher than normal EF after a stress test.  Now, from your post I see that the doctor meant it is most likely abnormal.  My EF was abpout 70%.  Here I am thinking that is good when in fact it is not?  Can someone help me with this.  Also, is the EF on a PFT the same thing?  Thank you.
From my understanding (I may be wrong) 70% is pretty good. Its the amount of blood your heart pumps divided by total volume, and I think anything over 55% is considered normal and you're well above that. I'm not sure about your 2nd question.
Thank you for your reply.  These "numbers" can cause a person to be overly cautious.
A related discussion, How to improve ejection fraction rate was started.
A related discussion, ejection fraction was started.