Heart Disease Expert Forum
chest ,arm and jaw pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

chest ,arm and jaw pain

I have had chest pain for many years, no answers.Had all the tests except angiogram.Everything is fine. What is starting to really bother me though is the pain in my arms and jaws. They have always bothered me, since the age of 12, I am now 29.But it is starting to be an everyday thing now.I would think if it was my heart that by now I would know, after all the trips to the dr and er.Anyway, my question is, if was from my heart, would Motrin make it feel better? Latley I have tried that and it seems to help. Sometimes it don't go completly away, but it does usually ease the pain.Also, is it typiacal for heart pain to feel like a sudden cramp or spasm, last maybe 10 secs then be completlty gone?Thanks for your time. Dawn
Dear dawnms,

It is difficult to say what the cause of your chest pain is related to. A stress test and an echocardiogram would be 2 tests to have performed if not already done. Given that you are 29 and these symptoms have been occurring since the age of 12, it is unlikely that they are a result of blockages in the heart arteries. I would recommend a long discussion with your doctor where you  review your cardiac risk factors and the likelihood of your pain being related to your heart. If all of your  non-invasive tests are completely normal and your symptoms are as you describe your doctor may consider an angiogram to rule out the presence of any blockages in the heart arteries.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Hi dawn!
If you have the complete workup and everything turns out fine with your heart - you may want to check out costochondritis - I had recurring chest pain that mimicked heart pain and even ibuprofen didnt do much - its an inflamation (inflammation) of the lining in your chest wall - usually, once people get it - it can recur for the rest of your life - I have it on and off all the time - usually after Ive done something like lifting or wallpapering - but sometimes it will come on for no appearant reason. Anyway just a thought - it really does hurt and it comes and goes..even a mile walk sets mine off for a couple days afterwards - and pain killers definately work - like vicadin - but then you dont want to get on those too much - anti inflammitories like ibuprofen over the whole period will help / or celebrex - thats what they prescribe for me - oh and the pain radiates down my left arm - sometimes the right one as well and Ive had brief jaw pain from it too -I can also feel it through to my back / usually the left side too - so kinda scary - !  But no other symptoms - like shortness of breath or dizziness or anything - its hard to diagnose too - anyway - good luck!
I too suffer with this and thought it be my heart.  I was just told "By the experts" it was muscles in the sternum/chest/ribs causing the pain fopr the past 6-8 months.  No name was mentioned.  I then got on a search engine and it described me to a tee.  I saw then a GP and he agreed with me.  He also called it Tietze Syndrome.  I had a terrible 3 month bout of perhaps adult whooping cough and was also under a lot of stress.  The GP feels it was a combination of both.  He also said this can become chronic with good days and bad days.

Please discuss all this with your own doctor as although Costorchronditis is very painful it will not kill you but heart disease can.

Good Luck.