Heart Disease Expert Forum
chest fullness sensation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

chest fullness sensation

Hi, I just today got back from the doctors, where i requested a consultation with a cardiologist about my symptoms. my symptoms are as follows. fast shooting pains in centre of chest or a little bit higher. skipped heart beats. feeling slightly light headed when walking around the house. standing up after being seated for a while can give me a head rush, or make me crave a deep breath. on two occasions waking up with a uncontrollable racing heart palpation that lasted minutes. shooting pains in different parts of both arms. and a quick squeezing thud sensation just above the centre of my chest that made my heart feel funny and left a fullness and discomfort for a few minutes. this sensation prompted me to go to the A&E to be checked out. once there i had an ECG, which stated an abnormal ECG. later when i spoke to the doctor about this he assured me that my heart was fine and the ECG machines do this all the time, and it is up to the doctor to interpret the results.

ECG result. PR Interval: 167ms./ QRS Duration 98ms / QT Interval: 354/403ms.

I have been worried about this since i got back from the hospital on Friday night. so i went to the doctors this morning to sort an appointment out with a cardiologist, and to tell him about and get some medication for my indigestion that creates chest pressure when i lay on my back. walking to the doctors was tough. i had the strongest pain below my sternum that could only be relieved by pushing my belly out as far as it can go while walking.

later that day, because i had no rest the night before due to indigestion and skipped heart beats every time i tried to fall asleep. i headed upstairs to my bed. once at the top of the stairs i had a shooting pain stab me through the upper chest into my back. i shrugged it off and went for my nap. with my mattress pushed up so i could sleep on an incline as to avoid acid reflux, i lay there upright for a moment, just after i took a drink of indigestion liquid,

You have a number of different symptoms - some of which could be caused by your heart, but also by a number of other organ systems including your gastrointestinal system (which you have already alluded to) and even possibly related to your anxiety/panic disorder.  Unfortunately, it is impossible to say exactly what is going on without a physical examination, but your preliminary reports of a normal ECG is reassuring.  If you are experiencing palpitations frequently, it might be reasonable to have a holter monitor performed which can record any irregular heart rhythms or heart beats over a 2-3 day period.  Other diagnostic tests that can be performed include an echocardiogram which can look for any structural abnormalities with the heart muscle and valves and an exercise stress test which can tell if there is any decreased blood flow to your heart during times of exertion.  However, these types of tests are usually only performed in patients where there is high suspicion for underlying heart disease including having multiple risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, history of diabetes, history of tobacco use, family history of early coronary artery disease).  I would continue to consult with your primary care physician and/or cardiologist for any indications for further testing.
when all of a sudden I felt a fullness enter my chest from the lower left side, by the nipple and spread into the centre of my chested surrounding my heart, which speeded up. i got up quick and walked it off within moments. the effect of this, though different had the same effect/feeling on my heart, as the event that happened that sent me to A&E.

As an optimist, i am hoping on both occasions it was just wind/gerd/esophageal spasm.

sorry for the long story. but being on the NHS, i will have to wait months to see a specialist. thank you for your help.

I am 28 years of age, caucasion/british. 6"2, 185lbs, take regular excersise and have a healthy diet. I have an anxiety and panic dissorder, and was an overweight child.