Heart Disease Community
chest pain, but negative stress test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

chest pain, but negative stress test

ANyone have any ideas if i should be concerned. I have been having chest pains (on and off) for about two weeks now. Lots of extra gas and belching, pain in my back between shoulder blades, etc....I have had rythymn problems for years and take a beta blocker. VERY small dosage, though. I had a nuclear stress test done in the fall and everything looked great. Blood pressure is great. Think I should be concerned? I thought it was all stomach related and just had an endoscopy done. It came back ok too.....any ideas?
Nuclear stress tests don’t have to show any abnormalities and you can still have blockages that can lead to Angina pain.  What did your Cardiologist say? Have you gone for a 2nd opinion?   When do you get these pains, are they upon physical exercise or emotional stress?  Do you see a pattern when you get the pain?  Do you have family history of heart disease?  From my personal experience I had nuclear stress tests which didn’t show abnormalities and I experienced pain. I was told it was all related to anxiety but I actually had some pretty advanced blockages.  
Please don’t get nervous from this response, as I also had every “risk factor” in the book.
I would suggest you discuss your “risk factors” with your Cardiologist and see if he suggests any further cardiac testing.  
i do not have a pattern to the pain. It happens when i am climbing stairs, and it will happen while sleeping or resting. I too have risk factors. BOTH parents had early heart disease. Mom actually had a triple bypass at 46. I am 37. Dad has three stents and I believe every member of my family has died from heart disease. I am on Crestor and my numbers are looking good. I am trying not to overreact since I had a clear stress test and ekg in the fall. However, it is still scary when it hurts. Just wnting to know if anyone thinks that another test is neccessary. Thanks!
Read my journal here at 'joanincarolina' and see if you can identify with this and my symptoms.Don't dismiss these signals from your body.I'll anser questions from you. Joan. What is your age?
l have also been on Crestor and my numbers have been much better than normal and I still had further progression of disease in the past year and my stress test and EKGs all said I was fine too.  My pain was said to be anxiety related by 4 separate doctors until I finally found a doctor who believed otherwise.  
Thinking back, I had most of my pain episodes walking upstairs especially when carrying something. But I kept being told I was having anxiety and Panic Attacks which can have symptoms of chest pain.  
Meanwhile know I realize I was getting Angina pain which was triggering anxiety and Panic Attacks.
I had 3 stents put in on 2/23/10 and go back for another on 3/31/10. My Dad passed from a heart attack at 44, I am 38 male. If you have pain, it is your body sending you a message.  
You stated you had these pains for 2 weeks, I had pains for 1 ½ years which now drove me into having an anxiety disorder just like the doctors said.  I am not a doctor, so I don’t want to tell you what you should do, but based on your strong family history you should really consider a CT scan or Cardiac Cath.  
If everything comes back un blocked at least you will have piece of mind.
One last question, are you male or female? your profile says female but mine did also when I first signed onto this community.  If you are male there is even more concern why you should look into further testing as females are said to be protected somewhat from estrogen at an early age.
sam...I am a 37 yr old female. How can so many tests not show your blockages? amazing and scary. I have some anxiety issues, but they are mostly from all these years of afib episodes or whatever they are. I am always afraid to be very far from a hospital. Doesn't that sound crazy? frustrating. Well, lately my fluttering, spasm episodes have been horrible, but I have NEVER had pain before. This is all new and I don't like it. It does seem to be worse at night. What about an echo?
You do not have to have visualized blockages to have chest pain.You can have either small blockages in microvessels ( cannot be seen by current technology) or spasms of the heart vessels with arrythmia causing pain-difficult to catch.Even large vessels can have blockages or narrowing and the patient does not have signs until it becomes an emergency.You have a sign.Please see your doctor and mention this to them; you could pass MANY tests and still not see the tee-tiny microvessels.Your pain is a signal and if it's angina it will be due to lack of oxygen to your heart muscle. Females are not protected from heart problems as the doctors once thought. Your anxiety may be secondary to chest pain and/or your concern about this situation.You are not crazy.Please read my journal and let me know if this helps you. Joan. 'joanincarolina"
I know exactly how you feel about being too far from a hospital.  I have had panic attacks being too far away from home and passing by a hospital and knowing the next one would be far away.
It got so bad for me that I would think any sensation in my chest area was me about to have a heart attack.  “This why I ended up with the “Anxiety disorder” doctors would think I was just over reacting to any feeling I had.
I also have had Echo’s and they were normal also.  
What area do you live at? I suggest you find the closest Major Hospital in your area that specializes in heart problems and try to see the director of their Cardiology program  I hope there is a simple un cardiac related reason for your pains.  But play it safe and get other opinions.
im a 24 yr old male. cholesterol 245, ive been having this left side chest pain for about a yr now and getting worse and more frequent. ive had echo,ekgs,stress echo,holter monitor, event monitor, and blood work. i also have been experiencing pac's and pvc's. all my test were normal besides the event monitor which showed the pac's and pvc's.I have left side chest pain that is intermittent and everyday, radiates to my left arm, left hand, and left jaw, sometimes i will get nasueus and really hot with it and sweat along with shortness of breath. I cannot reproduce the pain by pressing on the area. I know this seems just like typical unstable angina, but I had them normal test results. I have a few questions here if you could be so kind to answer i would greatly appreciate it.    1.N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic Peptide predicts significant coronary artery lesion in the unstable angina patients with normal electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, and cardiac enzymes. Does that seem like a good test for CAD that you know of??   2.Can someone with a normal stress echo, bloodwork, ekg, echo, and cardiac calcium score still suffer from unstable angina that was missed? (please explain your opinion)   3.My Dr. says that I've had all the normal test for heart disease but I'm still having these symptoms (not heartburn, not chostondritis, not anxiety) what could it be? The chest pain is left sided, radiates to left arm, left hand and left jaw, shortness of breath, feeling really hot and sick. (ANGINA!?!?)   4.Do I need further testing such at heart cath (angiogram), is that the only test that sometimes catches angina in someone with the TYPICAL symptoms of it but normal test results at 24-25 yrs of age???   I also sleep like 12 hrs a night, always tired, VERY inactive person, get short of breath with LIGHT exercise.   5.With all the symptoms I have descibed and what I experience everyday what do you think the likely hood of the being unstable angina, or variant angina would be from your years of experience?   Thank you if u dont mind I would appreciate it if you could answer my questions in full detail. Thanks again!!!!"
k
I'm 51 years old and a male.I started having chest pains about 6 or 7 years ago.I had a nuclear stress test, ekgs,blood work, at the start.They said all was fine.The pains got worse over time and happen more often.The doctor said all was fine but put me on nitro.So when I had chest pains I would take a nitro and it would go away for awhile.I got to where I was taking nitro alot.They did more test and said I was fine.On 9/29/2009 I had a heart attack and had 2 stents put in.I could not belife with all the test I had 2 major blockages and 1 minor.I felt good after the stents.About a month ago I started having cheast pains again.The doctor said all was fine but I had them send me elsewere for second opinion.The doctor did a heart cat and found I have 2 places in my artery that is damaged and causing spasms.That is why I'm having chest pains.The doctor is trying nitro patch for now to see if it helps.So I would not be afraid to get a second opinion.Hard to say how long I might have gone if I had not.
Arthur