Heart Disease Community
chest pain after stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Viewing 201-208 comments:
Had the first stint put in 5 years ago. Never had any pain. Had two more put in a month ago. I feel pain in my chest and have wondered it the stints were put in right. After reading what I have it doesn't look like I am going to have a very good time of it.
I am a 47 yr old male. I was 5'7'' and weighed 270 lbs. I had not exercised for several years and had a horrible diet. I went to the ER September 12, 2012, with breathing problems. My breathing felt restricted and I felt some pressure on  my chest. My left arm was somewhat weak, it really felt muscular. A Nuclear stress test was ordered and it returned abnormal, on the picture side, not the tread mill side. I actually did well on the tread mill. A Cardiac cath was ordered, and upon having it done 2 bare metal stents were placed in the LAD artery due to a 100% blockage, on september 14. 1 smaller vessel was balooned. I was in the hospital 2 days and went home. I was placed on Effient, metoprolol, lisinopril and lipitor.

For the first several weeks, I felt ok, but tired. I did not work for two weeks, and did very little that elevated my heart rate. After about two weeks I started getting winded occasionally, with light exertion. I also had tightness in my chest and breathing problems, which felt bronchial or like asthma. A cough came with it. I felt like I could not get a good deep breath, but not constricted as before. I had a doctors appointment a month after stenting, and the doctor took me off of Lisinopril, as I thought it might me causing the problems (the doctor seemed pleased with my ekg and overall health) I am still not sure whether lisinopril is the culprit, or metoprolol is the problem. I start Cardiac rehab in 2 weeks, after a stress test is performed next week. If this continues, I will request that I be taken off metoprolol, and put on a nother beta blocker.

It appears that many others on here have had similar problems, but has anyone narrowed the problem to metoprolol or lisinopril? I don't think effeint is an issue. I have lost 25 lbs, and have totally changed my diet. I am also now walking 3-4 times a week about 1 1/2 miles each day.  I was hoping to feel much better than I do, after 5 weeks post stenting.

I am a 41 y/o female with type 2 diabetes. I had my 1st heart attack late Sept. I went to the ER with severe chest pressure which radiated to my back between my shoulder blades, shortness of breath and vomiting, the ECG showed nothing wrong, but the blood work that was done did. I thought it was a really bad episode of acid reflux and even said this to the nurses and even the cardiologist as I'm being prepped to have a cath done. I was awake for the procedure, and they even played the recording of it at the end for me showing me my blocked artery before and after stenting. It was a 2.5mm x 30 mm in my LAD. Exactly ONE WEEK later I'm back in the ER with severe chest pressure/pain, shortness of breath, sweating and chills (2nd heart attack), rushed into cath room and given enough pain meds that I fell asleep for this procedure, was told afterwards that stent had collapsed and it had to be reopened and a 2nd stent was placed. A 2.75mm x 14mm in my LAD. Went home, felt good, took it easy. 1-1/2 weeks later I'm back to have a 3rd stent placed (this was scheduled). A 3.0mm x 18mm in my Distol Circumflex. That night I have my 3rd heart attack, had to be taken from observation to ICU and put on Nitro IV. Got better and was released only to return a 4th time ONE WEEK later again with severe chest pains and my 4th heart attack. Was again rushed into the cath room to find out that my 3rd stent had collapsed, so this had to be reopened. I have now been home for almost 3 weeks and have felt stabbing like pains since. These are above my left breast, to the middle of my chest. I get easily fatigued, but I also cannot sleep. I returned to work last week for two days and this week for another 2 days and I feel like a whiny child because I have this pain that I know it's not in my head, and I'm not able to do what I used to do. My dad looks at me and doesn't really believe me because he had a stent put in about 10 yrs ago and has never had a problem or pain. Wish I could say the same. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling these pains. I've called my cardio's ofc a few times and every time I'm told the same thing, "the doctor is not in the office at this time, will let him know of your pain and if the pain gets worse go to the ER". That's what I plan to do if the pain gets worse, but they probably won't be able to do much for me either. I'm on 10 mg Effient (was on Plavix but with the stent collapses Dr. took my off that and put me on Effient), 40 mg Simvastatin, 50 mg Cilostazol, 2.5 mg Lisinopril, 325 mg Aspirin, 50 mg Metropolol, 25 mg Spirolactone, and my insulin medication. In March I weighed 275 lbs, 2 weeks ago I weighed 245. I used to smoke and quit, cold turkey, on the day of my 1st heart attack. I've even more paranoid now about my diet and would like to go back to exercising, but my chest pains scare me. Maybe I should just "work" thru the pain and hope that with time it gets better? The thing is I'm sitting here typing this with chest pain.

May we all get better. Take care!
I'm having that wierd pain we have all felt. This time in my left shoulder. Dull aching pain that comes and goes. Anxiety sets in. Then nausea... pain hops around to my back and side... I have had quadruple bypass, then another heart attack, Then 2 stents... Feel good some days. Bad some days... Just don't know if the pains are normal....
I've had three stents fitted and still feel very strong, maybe you should all come to Tunisia and get your heart problems sorted out by my Doctor in Sousse (the best in Sousse) Dr BELKHIRIA Nouri great bedside manner and boy does he know his job, everything he told me would happen did and I feel healthy again. He uses the new way of stenting which means he goes in through the right wrist because the medical people say that there is less risk of bleeding, infection and it is a lot safer than going in through the Femeral Artery. I felt nothing at all and watched what he was doing on the screen throughout the proceedure. Cost? Well to have this work done in England it would cost between £12 and £14,000. here in Tunisia £7,000 and the people in the clinic were ALL really great, the place was also spotlessly clean, simpy cannot give enough praise to them all.
Well, not everyone can have angioplasty through the wrist. If the artery is too twisted for example, or if you have had a previous bypass. The procedure of stenting costs English people nothing because of our social national health service. Stents do not always give the results as expected, there are many statistics of patients which prove this. I'm sure if the Doctor in Tunisia had treated thousands of patients, some would have suffered drawbacks such as re-stenosis. All cardiologists who perform angioplasty have had high levels of training and receive supervision for the first procedures. We all just react in different ways to the technology. I have had 10 stents, of which none have blocked, but some patients will find they are requiring stents to be inserted inside stents due to scar tissue forming. So, it isn't down to a particular Doctor or location.
Thanks so much for posting this.
I just had my pulmonary valve replaced using the melody valve replacement system and it is a 10000 times better than having open heart surgery.  I've had both and open heart is 3 months to recover and melody valve system is 1 to 2 weeks.  I'm going on my 2nd week.  I've had some minor pain with 2 stents and some minor pain with melody valve system.

tI expericed some pain and nausea trying o hold my Rottweiler down to clean his ears.  I had to lie down for a while.  Is this normal??
I think there are a couple of things we tend to overlook. Firstly is that as blockages gradually form over  years, we don't really notice and of the effects until the blockage is significant, but the body is affected. I think it probably adapts over that time. When the vessels are suddenly opened, it is taken for granted we should get up and do a cha cha around the ward. However, it doesn't work like that. The body has to adapt again. When my artery was opened with 5 stents having been blocked for years, probably over a decade, I felt nothing great for weeks. In fact, I felt the same as I had for years. Perhaps it's the fact that we become less fit in general, being more limited by Angina symptoms. There is also the problem that when a stent is pushed against the blockage, it forces the plaque into the artery wall and often this is hard and sharp due to calcification. It should settle down over weeks but in some people they feel a dull pain for years.
The other issue is the condition of the heart muscle. We have a significant blockage and heart muscle cells will become damaged, but not beyond repair. It can take months for heart muscle to repair because it is continually being used and has no rest period. If you damage a leg or arm muscle, you can immobilise it, allowing it to rest and repair. Our poor hearts don't have this luxury and so have to mend on the fly which takes longer.
On top of this, if you feel any abnormal symptoms such as nausea, pain or dizziness, then I would highly recommend a check up by a professional to ensure that everything is working as it should be. In the case of a valve, a simple echo scan will tell in minutes if everything is normal. In some cases, such as myself, patients are on blood pressure medication before any intervention. My blood pressure returned to normal 3 weeks after stenting, but I was still on meds to lower it further and I was having some strange dizzy spells. Doctors can often overlook this, or are unaware because follow up appointments are too far away.
i had 2 stents put in 2010 after a non stem heart attack, as 1 artery was blocked but no damage to my heart. 2and a half yrs on im still getting chest pain,shoulder pain and numbness in my fingers, had blood test done to measure my trop level and came back normal. Has any one else got these symptoms so long after they had stents put in?
Some people do, they believe it is one of two things. However, they are just theories. First it could be the trauma to the artery with the stents. Second it could be that the cardiac muscle just becomes hyper sensitive but doesn't release troponin. As  I said they are theories and such cases are rare. Are you on any medication? I was taken off blood pressure meds when last stented, but my BP did rise a bit late last year, and I tried to explain it was stress over xmas. However, they put be on Ramipril to lower it but I got chest pains from them. My Doctor was surprised because I had been on them from 2007-2009 with no problems.
hi, i got 2 stents 6 days ago after intense pain in my left arm which entenox shifted immediately which was given by paramedics,after arriving in ER and showing no signs of pain my enzym test said differently and went on that road to stenting,im home now and tire easily but i guess thats normal enuf,my problem is that im advised against my holidays which start in 2 weeks time and im flying to turkey for 7 weeks R&R,this is important too me as im not very mobile and going there i can be more independant,its on 1 level and i can exercise daily by swimming in pool,i have multiple collapse of disc in my spine so live way pain alot,my docters only mention that medical care in turkey isnt up to scratch but havnt mentioned its dangerous to fly there,im fixed on going and can get insurance,im doing everything else they tell me like losing weight and stopped smoking,am i taking a worthwhile chance,the mediteranean diet should help weight lose as well,im 50 years old and have gained 5 stone in weight and was smoking non stop due to being trapped at home in constant pain this last 3 years,
best answer yet, I had back to back drug stents in LAD, went off a beta blcker and had SOB and chest pain. I take effient10 mg for anti clot/ 50 mg losartan for bp/ metroprlol beta blocker for hypertension 40mg/ 81mg aspirin thinner.
I take a one a day mens vitamin for rounded out supplement, coq10 100mg, anti inflamitory and blood cell wall repair, flax oil 1000mg more natural thinning and aiding atp feeding and helping build up cell wall from stent damage, vitamin C 1000mg again more cell repair and guard against bacterial infection at damaged area, and very important  magnesium 250mg to aid in extra waste removal of calcifcation in arteries.
now, how am I doing? Very improved no SOB or chest trbs, or pinching.
Also, 6th day on 4 boiled eggs a day. Why? See Dr. Joel Wallach,
It's a Vet cure for ED which I have as part of the original clogging, and
the absolute warning sign of a blockage in men.
I will keep current updates on this forum. Remember my Card. couldn't say why I was having trbs. and wanted to go back in to stent area. I suggested
going back on beta blocker first, and researched what brought me to my current not to bad situation. I really feel i'm on the mend, I also try to walk a 3rd to 1/2 mile every day. Gob bless you all and ask for help spiritually.

I'm like this as well , chest pain and arm pain very scary , not nice and km really down and scared about this is there any one to talk to that as similar feeling ? . Help needed
good discussion.  good to hear i'm not alone.  i had good results.  55 yr male, type IIa familial hypercholesterolemia.  lo thyroid (88ug/day).  been on statins for decades.  mild chest pain and referred pain to throat for about 6 years on heavy exercise.  level of exercise which brought it on started dropping about a six months ago.  by spring this year I was out of breath climbing a flight of stairs, getting regular "spasm" pains in chest/throat.  (six months ago, I was regularly mountaineering, extreme levels of exercise).  saw cardiologist, he thought I was fine (ekg, echo), but scheduled me for cath anyhow as I insisted.  a day later, passed out, 100% blockage PDA.  almost 100%, tiny trickle got through on bp spikes, so no damage.  one stent (eluting) placed.  felt 1000x better instantly.  after 4 weeks started cautiously ramping up exercise.  at 6 weeks did a local 11000 foot peak (3500' gain in 3.5 hrs)...considering myself mostly cured.  it has now been 8 weeks...and i'm getting minor spasms again....not much, not too often, but definitely there.  not out of breath at all, though, can exercise very hard.  web searching led me here, thought i would relate my experience as well.  note to others -- had definite minor pain after stenting, a few days feeling really bad in first week or so, but gradually decreased.  most of that was different pain - felt like an internal tug or pinprick.  the new pains are more like the old spasms, but not bad yet, so i'll wait and see if they pick up or go away.
Exactly six weeks after having stent woke up at 4am with chest pain when breathing. Sat up for a while, then back to sleep, and then pain again upon awaking at 6am. Went to ER, ultrasound and blood work, everything okay. Was told by cardiologist sack around heart often gets inflamed at about 6 weeks after procedure. Was told to take an ibuprofen which I did and pain vanished within hours.

Now I’m 18 weeks out from procedure and having pains but not angina or breathing related. My 26 year old daughter pushed my launch buttons yesterday and the pain started almost immediately. It left 20 minutes after she did. That was 24 hours ago, now I’m having intermittent pains but again, not the crushing kind I had in January. I went to cardio rehab one session but because of a disabling back injury and two bad knees I can’t do the normal exercise routine they prescribe. I have been walking within my limits and following the Mediterranean diet to the letter, lost 45 pounds, blood pressure is 105/52 consistently, pulse 50, and cholesterol numbers better than an 18 year old. I don’t drink, do drugs, and quit smoking in 1993.

The lady I talked to in cardio rehab said post heart attack patients often have a heightened sense of awareness about every little pain and discomfort. I don’t know if the pains I’m experiencing are stress related as I have occasionally noticed them even when daughter isn’t around, or if the pains in my chest are really in my head?
Had LAD stent 2.3mm.80% stenosis and a NSTEMI.
No damage. Now my third week.
However have stent pain most every day.
I expected it and have been taking panadol every 4_6 hrs. It helps
Also i found large meals trigger the pain. The stomach muscled draw a huge amount of blood for digestion and its like a workout for the myocardium.
I found buscopan helped if taken well prior to the meal.
The very best day i have had so far was after my first cardiac rehab.  Very intense but felt good. My advice is use the same pain relief you would use for muscle pain.
The newer drugs like gabapentin and lyrica might help but need a script.
Ill let you how the pain goes.
Hi everyone, I appreciate everyone's sharing their stories, good to know I'm not the only one with pain after stenting.  July 20, 2012 two short stents placed, overlapping to create a longer stent, in my RCA just where it branches off the Aorta.   I Was 90 lbs over ideal weight, had stopped regular exercise previous 3 years and was on Lipitor and Lisinopril. Added Plavix and full aspirin after the procedure. Changed diet immediately, followed the Mediterranean diet and lost 40 lbs quickly, but have plateaued for the last 6 months while maintaining my lifestyle change of the diet and regular exercise.

I have pain in my chest when doing cardio, but mostly limited to when I run. I can get my heart up to 135 - 140 bpm on elliptical walker with no pain. Very odd and i have been trying to sort this out so I can discuss with my Doc on my one year check up. There is no question that I can do more now than before the stent, but I certainly was given the expectation that I should have no pain. Just not the case!  Here's a few observations.  I have heart palpitations off and on since the procedure, but they sure seem to increase when I'm dehydrated.  I don't have pain if I use an elliptical walker, but do have chest pain when I run. However, not all the time.  So, I keep going if its a 3-4 pain level and stop when it's a 6-7 out of 10. I recover quickly and can re-start running   My conclusion is that my body is still adjusting to this foreign object, blood thinner changes flow dynamics around this foreign object and is a probable cause for palpitations, possibly while running which leads to the pain, and I need to continue to build my fitness level cardio-wise.
I have a follow-up stress test next month, my prediction is I will get a clean bill of just like many of you even though I have this intermittent pain when running.  I'll post after the test.  Clearly, my story is not over!

Live positive.
Question for those of you that have been stented; Has any of your cardio docs said you need an internal defibulator implanted in your chest? From what I have read there are four categories; #1 is for upper valve flutter and the implant shocks the heart to restart a smooth rhythm. #2 is for the lower valves loosing rhythm, #3 was for patients that flat lined as this thing will give you the big jolt if needed, and #4 was a miscellaneous category for everyone else. I’m in #4 according to my c. doc.

Here is my concern; this thing has only been on the approved device list for 1 year so there isn’t much of a track record. Next, you are forever tied to you c.doc needing monthly visits for downloading the info it stores and battery checks, and the battery lasts between 4-7 years depending on how many times it triggers, requiring repeating the implant procedure every four years more or less. I interviewed one guy with a quad by-pass that he said it fired 60+ times first month. Sounds like he really needs it, or it’s on the same channel as his tv remote?

I had a single stent and the rest of the plumbing looked good. So, do they recommend these for everybody? I hate to be skeptical but doctors do vacation in the tropics all the time for pushing prescriptions and other things on their patients. It’s not widely known or talked about but my wife works at the same hospital so I know it is true. Doctors prescribe pills, surgeons cut, and cardio doctors…?  I’m scheduled for another ultrasound and then a visit with his partner the “implanter” but I plan to line up a second opinion before I make any decisions.
(and now my head hurts too…)
I'm glad to see this sight I just had 2 stents put in 6 days ago and still having chest pain.How long does this usually last? I have been walking ,seems to be ok .Good to know other people having same symptoms.
I had two drug eluding stents placed in early December 2012. The only pain I had was left forearm pain while play very aggressive racquetball. My first night home, I experienced all sorts of pains I had not felt before, both in my chest and in my left forearm. A week after I was home, I returned to the hospital to get checked out and they said everything was fine. Ten days after the stents were placed I was playing racquetball again, with no pain associated with activity. I continued to experience different pains and sensations for about two months after the procedure mainly occurring when in bed. From what I've researched, these types of pains are pretty common even if nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, these pains can really freak you out.
The biggest issue I have now is the side effects from the medications I am on, which include Lipitor, Plavix, Metropolol and a baby aspirin.
I have been on Dr. Esselstyn's plant based diet for over six months and I feel great. My Lipitor has been reduced to 10mg/day and my total cholesterol is 91 and my LDL is 44.
I just had a defib implanted on July 3.  I previously had 100% of LAD and stent was put in.  There was significant heart damage.  Five days after the heart attack I had irregular heartbeat of 188 while at rest.  This was why i needed the defib.  I was not allowed to leave the hospital for 14 days until I could have the procedure.  I am not an expert on this but if your haven't had an irregular heart beat, I would ask for specifics of why it is needed.  In my case it is not a preventative measure.  I am 53 years of age, healthy in every other way and if I could take this defib out, I would.  
I had my angioplasty in Aug 2010. I was 95% blocked in my LADCA. Afterward the cardiologist stated that he thought he was going to need to put in a 2nd one, but he just placed 1 small one.
I started to notice shortly after my procedure a numbness in my chest. Roughly 3" to the left of my sternum and 3" from my nipple to the right.
At first, I just thought it was due to a foreign object in my heart and just put it off as that. Now 3 years later, the very same pain is there.
It's just a dull numbness unless I touch it, then it is actually a pain.
I asked some people that have had stents if they had the same or similar issue. I was told by one friend that he did have that sort of pain, his doctor told him it was due to the pressure of the blood going through the stent which caused that.
I don't really see how a stint inside of my heart, behind my rib cage under all the muscle could cause this pain.
I don't notice it when I exercise, so until it starts becoming more of a problem, I guess I will just deal with it.
I am 29 Years Old,Male,  Got a Stent Placed in LAD for 90% Block on 29th Sept 2013, No Family history or Cholesterol.  Getting some mild pains near my heart ( Right in the Middle of my chest with Burning and pinching Sensation) , Muscle twitching, Spontaneous Pain in left and right arm for short time. Have been working out regularly for 20 mins everyday. Concerned if I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life . Currently on Ceruvin 75mg, ecosprin 150Mg, Storvas 40Mg, Met XL 25mg and Nexium. Any advice to reduce pain would greatly appreciated, Already Quit smoking and maintaining a healthy diet. I am from India
Just read a UK site that suggests that if you can touch and feel pain on your chest then it may be muscle or skeletal and not heart.  Just repeating what I read.  Also, my wife suffered from Costochondritis.  Do some research on that.  She found some stretching keeps it at bay.  
One of my cardiologists who had his heart attack at 54 says he takes a supplement called CoQ10 to reduce his pain.  Since I am over 40, I take Ubiquinol since some of the reading I've done says that as an "electron-rich form of coenzyme 10" its easier for older people to metabolize.  Keep good thoughts about feeling better.  That helps too !
46 year old hispanic male, I did not have a heart attack just this ache from my throat to my stomach, burning or throbbing in my left bicep. For the first time in my life I was short of breath and had chest cramps and stabs of pain around my heart. I also felt tingling and numbness at my jawline, neck and shoulder pain, as time went on I had more chest cramps, stabbing pains around my heart and dizziness. These symptoms would come and go. I first went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with GERD, which explained a lot except for the burning sensation in my arm and the one or two episodes of shortness of breath. I finally had stress test done and that same week ended with me getting a PROMUS Element stent on LAD on 27 Jul 12 for  90% blockage of LAD. I posted all of this earlier. An hour after the procedure I felt shoulder pain at the top of my left arm and my right arm. For about a month or so after discharge I felt slight sensations on my left bicep and my right arm, which never ever given me problems and some chest discomfort...no burning sensation or heaviness, but a warmness and some pinching. It was so worrisome that in Nov of 2012 I took a Nuclear Stress Echo, passed with flying colors. All pains seemed to go away, I was living my normal life trying to watch my diet and exercise. I did walk a bit got into the rhythm of life and stopped. Around April or May I went for walk and felt a single twinge of pain just like before in my left arm. I had gained about 30lbs after losing 20lbs so my weight was close to 275+. With time other sensations returned. No chest pain pains, but serious shoulder pain and arm pain. I could feel my pulse in my biceps, both sides and lots of aches in my arms. I had lots of chest flutterings, a few episodes of light headedness and lots of headaches. One night I thought I was going to die,  my arms were on fire and I had this headache that I could not even move my head. I made a cardio appointment with a new doctor (cause I had moved). My BP was high 160/100 on all three visits so he doubled my atenolol meds. I kept having the same symptoms so in July he did a stress test (thallium). I passed it with flying colors, he told me I was good and I tried to live as normal as possible, pushed a motorcycle up a hill, moved furniture, painted. Ironically when I was active like that I felt better. I changed my from simvastatin to crestor, stopped taking rx xantac. But little by little I felt worse and worse. In Sep I scratched a vessel in my nose and it would not stop bleeding, went to ER and they gave inserted a balloon to heal it, Hurt really bad, when they removed it, I fainted, my heart rate was 32. They kept me overnight for observation, my doctor and the cardio wanted me to go in for a check up. I was beginning to think that I had anxiety and even got a rx for that but never took it. I also stopped taking crestor cause my cholesterol was better and I thought it was causing the arm pain and burning sensation in my chest. I went in to see him and he asked if I was still having pain, which at that point I was not feeling to bad, but I said yes and he decided to do an angiogram. I didn't think I was going to live until the angiogram without going to the ER, just weird sensations in my ticker and pulsing sensations in my neck on both sides . On 1 Nov I had the angiogram, and he found an 80% blockage of the circumflex, he put in a bare metal stent cause the artery was too small for a coated one. Afterwards he told me that normally he might not have stented and 80%, but since I had symptoms, he is glad that he did, it was actually 95% blocked, I am still feeling slight pinches around my hear and some arm sensations, but nothing like before, I di feel a fullness around my throat and I do have a sore throat though. I think its time to find a new cardio, they explain very little to you and are always in a rush. I am hoping the future is brighter for stenting and diagnosing. I am down to 248 from almost 280 and eating healthy. Please post comments or experiences and even advice
MAY 2ND 2013
I had a heart attack (Widow Maker ) 100 % blockage 41/2 hr later my stent was in place ... I have had chest pains ever seens .. Stress test and eco shows my heart is doing great no damage somehow and stent is doing good .   But pain has continued causing trips back to ER more than once. not sure what is going on and my Dr cant find anything , has cost me my job more than once . not sure what to do are ask my Dr to look far .. any ideals
I was born with Addisons Disese (disease)  and have been on steroids since age 5 and I'm 62 now. I've had 9 stents total and have been on Plavix for 5 years. I've been restented twice, first at 2 years and the last at 11 months. I still take Plavix and Dexalent along with hydrocortisone and fluorocortisone every day, and I struggle with pain constantly. After 57 years of steroids, my spine has 11 fused vertebrae and my heart is also paying the price for staying alive on steroids. Sometimes you just have to find the best combination of medication that your body will cope with. Everybody is different and everybody reacts to medications in a distinctive manner. Just keep trying to find the right combination for your body. Please refrain from steroids, the side effects are disastereous and have horrible side effects.
Jackbejack
I had a stent placed on Feb 5th. Before the stent I felt very good just a little pain while warming up during my work-out. Turned out to be 95% blockage to LAD. I am now working out again just as hard as before. No pain. Feel great. My concern is I never hear of anyone who had a stent placed who feels good years later and is living life with no problems. Is there anybody out there who is doing fine and has no issues at all?
Well this is really depressing. It appears there is nobody who ever had a stent placed who is doing fine with no issues years after the proceedure.
I have friends who had stents over 10 years ago and are still very active indeed. You don't hear about the millions of successes because they are out there really enjoying life and not having to ask any questions :)
Has anyone heard of this type of stent. I saw it mentioned here at http://www.sharecare.com/health/implantable-medical-devices-heart/what-is-a-bioabsorbable-stent

Just got two stents inserted. Ache in the sternum continues and could not sleep last night.
Hi, yes I've heard of them. The first stents were what are called bare metal because there are no chemicals coating them. However, in many cases, the artery was forming lots of scar tissue and then blocking again. This led to the development of the Drug eluting stent which has a chemical coating to help inhibit the formation of scar tissue. However, a stent is a mesh and if you could shrink yourself down and stand inside a fitted stent, you will see that only around 3-5% of the artery wall is touched by a stent, the rest are spaces between the struts. Scar tissue was still forming but in fewer patients now. The stent you mention is something of a theory which will need to be proven with research. They are hoping it is the stent which promotes the scar tissue, and not the damaged caused by crushing it into the artery wall. This stent will gradually dissolve so if the scar tissue is caused by a stent, then the problem may be eliminated. However, I do have to question the reasoning behind this. With Drug eluting stents, the scar tissue forms quite quick, within the first 2-3 weeks, if it's going to. If the dissolving stent takes this long to break down, then it won't achieve anything. The only benefits I can see is that if scar tissue does form, then there are no metal stents in the way to prevent another attempt or bypass or other options.
What a forum! I just had a med stint put in for a 100% blocked in large left artery. I felt good after, started the med lines. Then 4 days after at home, I woke up with the start of arm and jaw numbness, then turning into chest discomfort again. Lasted about an hour, than subsided. What do you all think that's from?
Great to see this site. I am 59 years old and four stents placed on 4/24/14, 85% blockage. I continue to have the same "dull ache" on my left chest above my nipple and in to my armpit. I have had one trip to ER after a few days home and like everyone else all blood work comes back normal. This pain appears to get worse at the end of a long day or after a long walk. Like a another person on this site, I am also on Dr Esslestyn's diet and my cholesterol has dropped to 110/57 from 269/204... The pain is depressing, especially if you do not know if it something you shouldn't ignore.
Hi, I am a 51 year old female who had a heart attack 9/6/13 in the left circumflex it (dissected). they put in 5 stents (bare metal) continued having chest pain but continued my walking as instructed. I had another cath in October dr. said everything was fine but I was still having pain. Had another stent put in on Dec 26, 2013 after stress test showed blockage.  II had scar tissue block the same artery so the dr. put in one medicated stent.  Felt some better but then started having chest pain again in late January and have ever since. I had another cath done in april that Dr. said everything was fine but continue to have discomfort. I have worsen pain after cleaning all day and really toward the end of a busy day. I have only went  to the ER once which landed me  in the cath lab (prior) so I  am never sure when to go to the hospital and when to stay home so I just stay home and take nitro which does help. it just won't last. I retain a lot of fluid and have to sleep on 4 pillows. I now have anxiety attacks and am ready to scream!! I am on all of the above (meds) and really don't know whether I am doing more damage by not going ??? what to do??? any suggestions?
I never had a heart attack and my CAD was found due to GERD symptoms. I had a DES placed in my 90% blocked LAD in Jul 2012, I started having weird sensations to include radiating sensation in my left arm, very mild sharp sensations around my chest, very mild and very fleeting and then from Nov 2012 until Apr 2013 I felt great. I started feeling twinges in my arm, pulsing sensations in the cubital and biceps, burning sensation from my chest, I was getting lots of headaches and my BP was higher, had another stress test but BP quite normal during the stress test, was told all was ok. I could push a motorcycle up a hill, I was never winded or tired or SOB, but I didn't feel good. Finally the my cardio got tired of my complaints and did a cath and found a blockage on my circumflex, very tight artery had to put in a bare metal cause DES were too big? I feel better in lots of ways...those pains went away especially headaches. I have new sensations. different arm pain, localized to the side of my elbow and forearm, shoulder pain and chest pain, but sharp pains very fleeting , right side and left side of chest and right in the middle. I am going to get a GI scope cause I had sonogram my liver was a bit fatty and sludge in my gall bladder. I am on PPI, and the normal medications, aspirin, Plavix, crestor, HZTZ, atenolol and protonix, I am very sure that some of these issues are related to those medicines. I am here to say that you are not alone and have you tried a different cardio
This is a great forum. I'm 61, and was climbing Baldwin Hills (500 feet elevation) twice up and down followed by an hour in the gym on twice a week 4 days prior to my heart attack. I was feeling great. Obviously, I had been relying on collateral. On July 16 '14, after 5 hours of excruciating pain in my sternum and down my arm I went to the ER. The Circumflex was 100% occluded. They placed the first stent in me. The LAD and RCA were also 85% and 80% occluded. I had two stents in the LAD on Au 11 '14, and going for more in the RCA on Aug 25 '14. Now, I feel a sharp pain in my sternum after I walk for ten minutes. I have to stop for the pain to subside. I attribute it to the stent digging into the arterial wall. If I do 40 squats with only my body weight, I am out of breath and the chest pain flares up. This is very discouraging considering a month ago I was climbing hills along with 30 year olds. I am on Plavix, Aspirin, Lipitrol, Metoprolol, and Lisinopril. They all seem to have the same side effects: weakness and dizziness. My plan after the final stent procedure is to slowly start getting off these meds, except for the Plavix and Aspirin. If beta-blockers are supposed to slow down the heart and the intensity of the heart beat, then how can I possibly increase my heart rate when I exercise? It's a catch-22.
Im in that boat with you. After reading many of these concerns and worries, I start thinking about putting myself to the test to work the remaining trauma out till its gone but its hard to be willing to risk my life to test myself and the reliability of the stent to the limits of my drive. I get scared I may be provoking or daring a heart attack again.
   Im sixty two. My circulatory circulatory system was fairly clear of plaques and looked good except for a chunk of plaque that came from somewhere and lodged in a narrowing area. That provoked a stent and following regimen.
   I want to explore to find my 100 % however I feel a small element of foolishness to do so, for I cannot say I wouldn't be virtually provoking a heart attack.
   I really don't know how to be sensible and make good decisions about this and am interested in info and knowledge and wisdom in articles about this feeling of need to "test drive my limits" again. I NEED INFO and word from the EXPERIENCED!     Got POSTS?
After my first stent in 2012 I was very active...the stent was placed 27 July and by the first of the month I was already walking 2 miles. We also moved from half of our household, filled one of the bigger moving trucks, drove 1200 miles and unpacked to include doing lots of renovation work to the our destination house and that was barely a month after the stent. I kept my walking regimen of walking at least once a day for at least a mile. At the same time cleaning up our military base housing to turn over to inspection...that was harder than working out...these people are so picky. During the time frame of Sept to Nov, I helped my friend renovate his basement, carry drywall, holding up drywall....he is a very healthy person and he would get tired and I was still going strong. I returned to my house and did some very heavy renovations, even pushed the motorcycle up a steep hill, I thought that would have done me in. I also walked quite often, on trails and went to the gym regularly, not as much as I wanted though. Unfortunately around summer of 2013 I had another stent, totally different symptoms. I am not as active as the first go around, but I do well. I am 47 and my biggest challenge is maintaining a healthy weight
pain is normal, wether it is significant danger is unknown much of the time. In the case of cardiac procedures the realities of the heart in its communications are yet unknown. In unexplored realities the heart is a SEAT OF EMOTION, not just a beating machine in your chest. It has moods and sensations and does seem to talk back... Meditate to listen to your heart, be aware of its needs its life agonies and its great desires. It needs to beat for something!
True.  Listen to your heart
I had stents in 2010 for a blocked artery. To this day I still have some discomfort where the stents are on occasion.  You have to remember stents are foreign objects placed in our body's and the natural reaction is for the body to fight and reject it until it accepts it.  Beats the alternative...
Hi my name is Mary and I had a MI in Sept 2012 with one stent in the Right CA. I was fine until Feb 2014 when I started to suffer chronic angina. No one believed me but I did convince my cardiac doctor (albeit eventually). Had 4 stents in the LA in December 2014 but still suffer from the odd bout of angina. I have CHD so I guess this is the norm.
My name is Jeff . I had 4 stents in march 2014 . Everything is good . I found the Linus Pauling therapy in July 2014 , http://www.paulingtherapy.com/ . I started it in august 2014 , I couldn't believe how good I felt . My energy level jumped up , wasn't tired . Then I threw all of my medications away . To this day I feel great , also I have got about 30 people on this therapy . Some with blockages and others on blood pressure medication all have noticed a drastic inprovement . The people on blood pressure medication have thrown their medication away because their blood pressure went back to normal . I think everyone over 30 should do this . This therapy puts people at zero risk for heart attack , cardiovascular diasese and stroke between 5 and 9 months into the therapy .
I had my first two stents put in May of last year. Then another one the first part of February this year. The doctor had placed me on Effient in May after my first stent. In December I started having heavy nose bleeds which lead to having my nose cauterized. Very painful. They took me off of the Effient since I had been on it for at least 6 months. Then, I started having pains again. Every test they ran on me in May last year and again in February this year came back normal. So they have to do a cath to find out if anything is going on. After the second stent was put in this year, I am still having chest pains. I am now taking Plavix. They did another cath last week to see if anything was wrong, but nothing showed up. This is getting so frustrating. The waiting and not knowing. I can't run to the ER every time I have chest pains. But this morning, it was so hard, I didn't know what to do. It has eased up now. They say it is not my heart. Could be hiatal hernia or ulcer. Going to have to have more tests run to see if they can figure it out.
Viewing 201-208 comments: