Heart Disease Community
chest pain after stent

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Viewing 201-229 comments:
Question for those of you that have been stented; Has any of your cardio docs said you need an internal defibulator implanted in your chest? From what I have read there are four categories; #1 is for upper valve flutter and the implant shocks the heart to restart a smooth rhythm. #2 is for the lower valves loosing rhythm, #3 was for patients that flat lined as this thing will give you the big jolt if needed, and #4 was a miscellaneous category for everyone else. I’m in #4 according to my c. doc.

Here is my concern; this thing has only been on the approved device list for 1 year so there isn’t much of a track record. Next, you are forever tied to you c.doc needing monthly visits for downloading the info it stores and battery checks, and the battery lasts between 4-7 years depending on how many times it triggers, requiring repeating the implant procedure every four years more or less. I interviewed one guy with a quad by-pass that he said it fired 60+ times first month. Sounds like he really needs it, or it’s on the same channel as his tv remote?

I had a single stent and the rest of the plumbing looked good. So, do they recommend these for everybody? I hate to be skeptical but doctors do vacation in the tropics all the time for pushing prescriptions and other things on their patients. It’s not widely known or talked about but my wife works at the same hospital so I know it is true. Doctors prescribe pills, surgeons cut, and cardio doctors…?  I’m scheduled for another ultrasound and then a visit with his partner the “implanter” but I plan to line up a second opinion before I make any decisions.
(and now my head hurts too…)
I'm glad to see this sight I just had 2 stents put in 6 days ago and still having chest pain.How long does this usually last? I have been walking ,seems to be ok .Good to know other people having same symptoms.
I had two drug eluding stents placed in early December 2012. The only pain I had was left forearm pain while play very aggressive racquetball. My first night home, I experienced all sorts of pains I had not felt before, both in my chest and in my left forearm. A week after I was home, I returned to the hospital to get checked out and they said everything was fine. Ten days after the stents were placed I was playing racquetball again, with no pain associated with activity. I continued to experience different pains and sensations for about two months after the procedure mainly occurring when in bed. From what I've researched, these types of pains are pretty common even if nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, these pains can really freak you out.
The biggest issue I have now is the side effects from the medications I am on, which include Lipitor, Plavix, Metropolol and a baby aspirin.
I have been on Dr. Esselstyn's plant based diet for over six months and I feel great. My Lipitor has been reduced to 10mg/day and my total cholesterol is 91 and my LDL is 44.
I just had a defib implanted on July 3.  I previously had 100% of LAD and stent was put in.  There was significant heart damage.  Five days after the heart attack I had irregular heartbeat of 188 while at rest.  This was why i needed the defib.  I was not allowed to leave the hospital for 14 days until I could have the procedure.  I am not an expert on this but if your haven't had an irregular heart beat, I would ask for specifics of why it is needed.  In my case it is not a preventative measure.  I am 53 years of age, healthy in every other way and if I could take this defib out, I would.  
I had my angioplasty in Aug 2010. I was 95% blocked in my LADCA. Afterward the cardiologist stated that he thought he was going to need to put in a 2nd one, but he just placed 1 small one.
I started to notice shortly after my procedure a numbness in my chest. Roughly 3" to the left of my sternum and 3" from my nipple to the right.
At first, I just thought it was due to a foreign object in my heart and just put it off as that. Now 3 years later, the very same pain is there.
It's just a dull numbness unless I touch it, then it is actually a pain.
I asked some people that have had stents if they had the same or similar issue. I was told by one friend that he did have that sort of pain, his doctor told him it was due to the pressure of the blood going through the stent which caused that.
I don't really see how a stint inside of my heart, behind my rib cage under all the muscle could cause this pain.
I don't notice it when I exercise, so until it starts becoming more of a problem, I guess I will just deal with it.
I am 29 Years Old,Male,  Got a Stent Placed in LAD for 90% Block on 29th Sept 2013, No Family history or Cholesterol.  Getting some mild pains near my heart ( Right in the Middle of my chest with Burning and pinching Sensation) , Muscle twitching, Spontaneous Pain in left and right arm for short time. Have been working out regularly for 20 mins everyday. Concerned if I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life . Currently on Ceruvin 75mg, ecosprin 150Mg, Storvas 40Mg, Met XL 25mg and Nexium. Any advice to reduce pain would greatly appreciated, Already Quit smoking and maintaining a healthy diet. I am from India
Just read a UK site that suggests that if you can touch and feel pain on your chest then it may be muscle or skeletal and not heart.  Just repeating what I read.  Also, my wife suffered from Costochondritis.  Do some research on that.  She found some stretching keeps it at bay.  
One of my cardiologists who had his heart attack at 54 says he takes a supplement called CoQ10 to reduce his pain.  Since I am over 40, I take Ubiquinol since some of the reading I've done says that as an "electron-rich form of coenzyme 10" its easier for older people to metabolize.  Keep good thoughts about feeling better.  That helps too !
46 year old hispanic male, I did not have a heart attack just this ache from my throat to my stomach, burning or throbbing in my left bicep. For the first time in my life I was short of breath and had chest cramps and stabs of pain around my heart. I also felt tingling and numbness at my jawline, neck and shoulder pain, as time went on I had more chest cramps, stabbing pains around my heart and dizziness. These symptoms would come and go. I first went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with GERD, which explained a lot except for the burning sensation in my arm and the one or two episodes of shortness of breath. I finally had stress test done and that same week ended with me getting a PROMUS Element stent on LAD on 27 Jul 12 for  90% blockage of LAD. I posted all of this earlier. An hour after the procedure I felt shoulder pain at the top of my left arm and my right arm. For about a month or so after discharge I felt slight sensations on my left bicep and my right arm, which never ever given me problems and some chest discomfort...no burning sensation or heaviness, but a warmness and some pinching. It was so worrisome that in Nov of 2012 I took a Nuclear Stress Echo, passed with flying colors. All pains seemed to go away, I was living my normal life trying to watch my diet and exercise. I did walk a bit got into the rhythm of life and stopped. Around April or May I went for walk and felt a single twinge of pain just like before in my left arm. I had gained about 30lbs after losing 20lbs so my weight was close to 275+. With time other sensations returned. No chest pain pains, but serious shoulder pain and arm pain. I could feel my pulse in my biceps, both sides and lots of aches in my arms. I had lots of chest flutterings, a few episodes of light headedness and lots of headaches. One night I thought I was going to die,  my arms were on fire and I had this headache that I could not even move my head. I made a cardio appointment with a new doctor (cause I had moved). My BP was high 160/100 on all three visits so he doubled my atenolol meds. I kept having the same symptoms so in July he did a stress test (thallium). I passed it with flying colors, he told me I was good and I tried to live as normal as possible, pushed a motorcycle up a hill, moved furniture, painted. Ironically when I was active like that I felt better. I changed my from simvastatin to crestor, stopped taking rx xantac. But little by little I felt worse and worse. In Sep I scratched a vessel in my nose and it would not stop bleeding, went to ER and they gave inserted a balloon to heal it, Hurt really bad, when they removed it, I fainted, my heart rate was 32. They kept me overnight for observation, my doctor and the cardio wanted me to go in for a check up. I was beginning to think that I had anxiety and even got a rx for that but never took it. I also stopped taking crestor cause my cholesterol was better and I thought it was causing the arm pain and burning sensation in my chest. I went in to see him and he asked if I was still having pain, which at that point I was not feeling to bad, but I said yes and he decided to do an angiogram. I didn't think I was going to live until the angiogram without going to the ER, just weird sensations in my ticker and pulsing sensations in my neck on both sides . On 1 Nov I had the angiogram, and he found an 80% blockage of the circumflex, he put in a bare metal stent cause the artery was too small for a coated one. Afterwards he told me that normally he might not have stented and 80%, but since I had symptoms, he is glad that he did, it was actually 95% blocked, I am still feeling slight pinches around my hear and some arm sensations, but nothing like before, I di feel a fullness around my throat and I do have a sore throat though. I think its time to find a new cardio, they explain very little to you and are always in a rush. I am hoping the future is brighter for stenting and diagnosing. I am down to 248 from almost 280 and eating healthy. Please post comments or experiences and even advice
MAY 2ND 2013
I had a heart attack (Widow Maker ) 100 % blockage 41/2 hr later my stent was in place ... I have had chest pains ever seens .. Stress test and eco shows my heart is doing great no damage somehow and stent is doing good .   But pain has continued causing trips back to ER more than once. not sure what is going on and my Dr cant find anything , has cost me my job more than once . not sure what to do are ask my Dr to look far .. any ideals
I was born with Addisons Disese (disease)  and have been on steroids since age 5 and I'm 62 now. I've had 9 stents total and have been on Plavix for 5 years. I've been restented twice, first at 2 years and the last at 11 months. I still take Plavix and Dexalent along with hydrocortisone and fluorocortisone every day, and I struggle with pain constantly. After 57 years of steroids, my spine has 11 fused vertebrae and my heart is also paying the price for staying alive on steroids. Sometimes you just have to find the best combination of medication that your body will cope with. Everybody is different and everybody reacts to medications in a distinctive manner. Just keep trying to find the right combination for your body. Please refrain from steroids, the side effects are disastereous and have horrible side effects.
Jackbejack
I had a stent placed on Feb 5th. Before the stent I felt very good just a little pain while warming up during my work-out. Turned out to be 95% blockage to LAD. I am now working out again just as hard as before. No pain. Feel great. My concern is I never hear of anyone who had a stent placed who feels good years later and is living life with no problems. Is there anybody out there who is doing fine and has no issues at all?
Well this is really depressing. It appears there is nobody who ever had a stent placed who is doing fine with no issues years after the proceedure.
I have friends who had stents over 10 years ago and are still very active indeed. You don't hear about the millions of successes because they are out there really enjoying life and not having to ask any questions :)
Has anyone heard of this type of stent. I saw it mentioned here at http://www.sharecare.com/health/implantable-medical-devices-heart/what-is-a-bioabsorbable-stent

Just got two stents inserted. Ache in the sternum continues and could not sleep last night.
Hi, yes I've heard of them. The first stents were what are called bare metal because there are no chemicals coating them. However, in many cases, the artery was forming lots of scar tissue and then blocking again. This led to the development of the Drug eluting stent which has a chemical coating to help inhibit the formation of scar tissue. However, a stent is a mesh and if you could shrink yourself down and stand inside a fitted stent, you will see that only around 3-5% of the artery wall is touched by a stent, the rest are spaces between the struts. Scar tissue was still forming but in fewer patients now. The stent you mention is something of a theory which will need to be proven with research. They are hoping it is the stent which promotes the scar tissue, and not the damaged caused by crushing it into the artery wall. This stent will gradually dissolve so if the scar tissue is caused by a stent, then the problem may be eliminated. However, I do have to question the reasoning behind this. With Drug eluting stents, the scar tissue forms quite quick, within the first 2-3 weeks, if it's going to. If the dissolving stent takes this long to break down, then it won't achieve anything. The only benefits I can see is that if scar tissue does form, then there are no metal stents in the way to prevent another attempt or bypass or other options.
What a forum! I just had a med stint put in for a 100% blocked in large left artery. I felt good after, started the med lines. Then 4 days after at home, I woke up with the start of arm and jaw numbness, then turning into chest discomfort again. Lasted about an hour, than subsided. What do you all think that's from?
Great to see this site. I am 59 years old and four stents placed on 4/24/14, 85% blockage. I continue to have the same "dull ache" on my left chest above my nipple and in to my armpit. I have had one trip to ER after a few days home and like everyone else all blood work comes back normal. This pain appears to get worse at the end of a long day or after a long walk. Like a another person on this site, I am also on Dr Esslestyn's diet and my cholesterol has dropped to 110/57 from 269/204... The pain is depressing, especially if you do not know if it something you shouldn't ignore.
Hi, I am a 51 year old female who had a heart attack 9/6/13 in the left circumflex it (dissected). they put in 5 stents (bare metal) continued having chest pain but continued my walking as instructed. I had another cath in October dr. said everything was fine but I was still having pain. Had another stent put in on Dec 26, 2013 after stress test showed blockage.  II had scar tissue block the same artery so the dr. put in one medicated stent.  Felt some better but then started having chest pain again in late January and have ever since. I had another cath done in april that Dr. said everything was fine but continue to have discomfort. I have worsen pain after cleaning all day and really toward the end of a busy day. I have only went  to the ER once which landed me  in the cath lab (prior) so I  am never sure when to go to the hospital and when to stay home so I just stay home and take nitro which does help. it just won't last. I retain a lot of fluid and have to sleep on 4 pillows. I now have anxiety attacks and am ready to scream!! I am on all of the above (meds) and really don't know whether I am doing more damage by not going ??? what to do??? any suggestions?
I never had a heart attack and my CAD was found due to GERD symptoms. I had a DES placed in my 90% blocked LAD in Jul 2012, I started having weird sensations to include radiating sensation in my left arm, very mild sharp sensations around my chest, very mild and very fleeting and then from Nov 2012 until Apr 2013 I felt great. I started feeling twinges in my arm, pulsing sensations in the cubital and biceps, burning sensation from my chest, I was getting lots of headaches and my BP was higher, had another stress test but BP quite normal during the stress test, was told all was ok. I could push a motorcycle up a hill, I was never winded or tired or SOB, but I didn't feel good. Finally the my cardio got tired of my complaints and did a cath and found a blockage on my circumflex, very tight artery had to put in a bare metal cause DES were too big? I feel better in lots of ways...those pains went away especially headaches. I have new sensations. different arm pain, localized to the side of my elbow and forearm, shoulder pain and chest pain, but sharp pains very fleeting , right side and left side of chest and right in the middle. I am going to get a GI scope cause I had sonogram my liver was a bit fatty and sludge in my gall bladder. I am on PPI, and the normal medications, aspirin, Plavix, crestor, HZTZ, atenolol and protonix, I am very sure that some of these issues are related to those medicines. I am here to say that you are not alone and have you tried a different cardio
This is a great forum. I'm 61, and was climbing Baldwin Hills (500 feet elevation) twice up and down followed by an hour in the gym on twice a week 4 days prior to my heart attack. I was feeling great. Obviously, I had been relying on collateral. On July 16 '14, after 5 hours of excruciating pain in my sternum and down my arm I went to the ER. The Circumflex was 100% occluded. They placed the first stent in me. The LAD and RCA were also 85% and 80% occluded. I had two stents in the LAD on Au 11 '14, and going for more in the RCA on Aug 25 '14. Now, I feel a sharp pain in my sternum after I walk for ten minutes. I have to stop for the pain to subside. I attribute it to the stent digging into the arterial wall. If I do 40 squats with only my body weight, I am out of breath and the chest pain flares up. This is very discouraging considering a month ago I was climbing hills along with 30 year olds. I am on Plavix, Aspirin, Lipitrol, Metoprolol, and Lisinopril. They all seem to have the same side effects: weakness and dizziness. My plan after the final stent procedure is to slowly start getting off these meds, except for the Plavix and Aspirin. If beta-blockers are supposed to slow down the heart and the intensity of the heart beat, then how can I possibly increase my heart rate when I exercise? It's a catch-22.
Im in that boat with you. After reading many of these concerns and worries, I start thinking about putting myself to the test to work the remaining trauma out till its gone but its hard to be willing to risk my life to test myself and the reliability of the stent to the limits of my drive. I get scared I may be provoking or daring a heart attack again.
   Im sixty two. My circulatory circulatory system was fairly clear of plaques and looked good except for a chunk of plaque that came from somewhere and lodged in a narrowing area. That provoked a stent and following regimen.
   I want to explore to find my 100 % however I feel a small element of foolishness to do so, for I cannot say I wouldn't be virtually provoking a heart attack.
   I really don't know how to be sensible and make good decisions about this and am interested in info and knowledge and wisdom in articles about this feeling of need to "test drive my limits" again. I NEED INFO and word from the EXPERIENCED!     Got POSTS?
After my first stent in 2012 I was very active...the stent was placed 27 July and by the first of the month I was already walking 2 miles. We also moved from half of our household, filled one of the bigger moving trucks, drove 1200 miles and unpacked to include doing lots of renovation work to the our destination house and that was barely a month after the stent. I kept my walking regimen of walking at least once a day for at least a mile. At the same time cleaning up our military base housing to turn over to inspection...that was harder than working out...these people are so picky. During the time frame of Sept to Nov, I helped my friend renovate his basement, carry drywall, holding up drywall....he is a very healthy person and he would get tired and I was still going strong. I returned to my house and did some very heavy renovations, even pushed the motorcycle up a steep hill, I thought that would have done me in. I also walked quite often, on trails and went to the gym regularly, not as much as I wanted though. Unfortunately around summer of 2013 I had another stent, totally different symptoms. I am not as active as the first go around, but I do well. I am 47 and my biggest challenge is maintaining a healthy weight
pain is normal, wether it is significant danger is unknown much of the time. In the case of cardiac procedures the realities of the heart in its communications are yet unknown. In unexplored realities the heart is a SEAT OF EMOTION, not just a beating machine in your chest. It has moods and sensations and does seem to talk back... Meditate to listen to your heart, be aware of its needs its life agonies and its great desires. It needs to beat for something!
True.  Listen to your heart
I had stents in 2010 for a blocked artery. To this day I still have some discomfort where the stents are on occasion.  You have to remember stents are foreign objects placed in our body's and the natural reaction is for the body to fight and reject it until it accepts it.  Beats the alternative...
Hi my name is Mary and I had a MI in Sept 2012 with one stent in the Right CA. I was fine until Feb 2014 when I started to suffer chronic angina. No one believed me but I did convince my cardiac doctor (albeit eventually). Had 4 stents in the LA in December 2014 but still suffer from the odd bout of angina. I have CHD so I guess this is the norm.
My name is Jeff . I had 4 stents in march 2014 . Everything is good . I found the Linus Pauling therapy in July 2014 , http://www.paulingtherapy.com/ . I started it in august 2014 , I couldn't believe how good I felt . My energy level jumped up , wasn't tired . Then I threw all of my medications away . To this day I feel great , also I have got about 30 people on this therapy . Some with blockages and others on blood pressure medication all have noticed a drastic inprovement . The people on blood pressure medication have thrown their medication away because their blood pressure went back to normal . I think everyone over 30 should do this . This therapy puts people at zero risk for heart attack , cardiovascular diasese and stroke between 5 and 9 months into the therapy .
I had my first two stents put in May of last year. Then another one the first part of February this year. The doctor had placed me on Effient in May after my first stent. In December I started having heavy nose bleeds which lead to having my nose cauterized. Very painful. They took me off of the Effient since I had been on it for at least 6 months. Then, I started having pains again. Every test they ran on me in May last year and again in February this year came back normal. So they have to do a cath to find out if anything is going on. After the second stent was put in this year, I am still having chest pains. I am now taking Plavix. They did another cath last week to see if anything was wrong, but nothing showed up. This is getting so frustrating. The waiting and not knowing. I can't run to the ER every time I have chest pains. But this morning, it was so hard, I didn't know what to do. It has eased up now. They say it is not my heart. Could be hiatal hernia or ulcer. Going to have to have more tests run to see if they can figure it out.
I have been having chest pain and a lot of the same symptoms that I originally had with my heart attack back in July. Late August my Cardiologist inserted a stent for my Coronary Artery Anomaly, that was almost 100 percent blocked. Why am I still having chest pain, numbness in my left arm, fatigue, some days shortness of breath? I have not gotten any answers from my Cardiologist except to say that I am a 62 year old heart patient. Well, this is all new to me, but it seems that if I had a repair done to the anomalous artery, then why am I not fine? I just had an Echo and found out that I am in slight heart failure and I also did not pass my stress test. I did okay on the stress test, but I did not pass. I got chest pain. So I am now on Lasix and the doctor increased my Beta Blocker. Where must one go to get answers? I sure wish I knew! Is a Coronary Artery anomaly so rare that my doctor truly does not know, because I feel that he is flying by the seat of his pants.
Seems we are not alone in our pain. I truly hope and pray that you and I receive some answers soon. I will be checking back in often to see if anyone posts answers to the question.....why? I think I will also post this very comment on-line to see if get an answer.
I had my heart attack December 28, 2015. I had a 100 percent blockage in my lad. I am now the owner of a drug eluding stent. I had worked a lot of hours during December and I was extremely stressed out. I will have to admit this had been feeling bad for a long time. I had acid reflux, chest pains, and extreme exhaustion. I did not take my bloodpressure medicine everyday, because it made me feel bad at times. That was a huge mistake. The day of my heart attack I had severe face cramps and a boring pain going through my left breast. I did not sweat or vomit. I did have a feeling that something bad was about to happen. I figured it was bad acid reflux or my gallbladder. My husband and mom took me to the er. They did the EKG and to my surprise, I was having a heart attack.i was rushed to another hospital where they put in the stent. Like everyone else,  my life has changed dramatically. I am so thankful for each day I have now. Unfortunately, I still have chest pains that they say is not my heart. The medicines they prescribed me makes me have horrible gas pains and makes my acid reflux worse. I am writing this now with my chest hurting again. I guess my body has to adjust to the foreign object in it and all of these medicines. I am  a 45 year old female,non smoker, overweight, and with a family history of heart attacks from both sides. I go to cardiac rehab three times a week. This has helped me so much. I still battle anxiety and depression because of this life altering event, but I am grateful to be alive. Due to prayer and many wonderful doctors and nurses, I am still alive. I tell everyone that will listen to pay attention to aches and pains. I do not want this to happen to any of my family or friends. I pray that I will feel normal again. I have a wonderful husband, family, and friends that encourage me everyday. I am truly blessed.
If I was you I would come off the beta blockers once you finish rehab. I spoke with a top cardiologist in London about them who said "nasty things, never use them. They have so many side effects in different people, including no sex drive".
I had same thing, 100% blockage, 23mm stent put in LAD, been slowely recovering for 3 months now. I originally constantly had funny feeling and quirky spasms in my left chest area. they seemed to go away but recently I have a pain in my heart area, that seems to come and go, today it was all day. where it seems to be brought on by stress, I sure hope it goes away tonight and dont come back.
I had mine dec 25th, 3pm. I know you meant the 28th of 2014 or else you have something to look forward after this coming christmas. I was told I would be on the cholesterol and beta blocker for life. I went from LDL of 160 to 55 in 5 weeks after heart attack, I didnt screw around where medicine and diet made it happen. I have recently started having chest pains, I dont know if its the increased stress from work alone or combination of where I have recently been casual and not taking my meds everyday.
Im gonna be try and take it everyday and hope the pain goes away, but if it gets worse or something bad happens, i can only say I will hopefully be going to a better place.
I am 64,male,living in East europe where I had 2 stents fitted in feb '13.I was given many meds to take,which I whittled down to anti-plaque and 75mg aspirin as the only ones without major side effects.I hated taking ANY at all.Found Linus Pauling and am on 2 year's worth of his therapy.I stopped aspirin after massive nose bleeds and then stopped Anti-plaque as well.No problems ,then suddenly I am crippled with inability to breath or sleep,each affecting the other.I haven't worked out why I was struck so  suddenly after doing well without these meds and happy on Pauling's therapy alone.
I notice that my feet and ankles are swollen,first time ever,and some new fat around my lower tummy,although i am eating like a bird,almost no carbs etc.
Today I received an order of magnesium Chloride in spray,liquid refills and gel.hoping for good things here.
Managed 6 hours sleep last night,first in weeks,melatonin 4mg and completely darkened room helped.I also used a Ventolin inhaler,which I had stopped 2 years ago.
that's it,high hopes for the Mg.
Hi, i am 38. i had a stent installed 5 days ago. This is my second day out of the hospital and am having same pinching pain, and numbness in arm. also dizziness that comes and goes. It sounds like it may be common after this procedure. nitro helps. definitely scary
You take Nitro after stenting? definitely something wrong, I would go back to the cardiologist.
It was really interesting reading about your experience and ultimate healing through the Pauling therapy, it was very encouraging.  I do hope you're still healthy.
I have recently, in April, had 1 eluting stent inserted (80% LAD) and have no problems. However, I'm very keen to try the Pauling therapy.
Could you please tell me how much each of Vit C and Lysine you took? Did you take Vit K as well?
Thanks for your help :)
I find that virtually everything in the literature about curing heart problems is from people selling drugs and surgery. But the studies by Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. John McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, PhD, and Dr. Neal Barnard have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can completely prevent, cure and reverse all of this heart disease with a vegan diet. Just quit eating animal products and fats, and within a short time all of these stories about stents and drugs will be over with!! The facts are in. It is not a debate any longer, but there is no money to be made by telling you this. Check these guys out and see what they say.
I had three stents places September 6th, 2014 and I still get chest pain.
i am a 58 year old woman and had 6 stints put in over the last 4 year . My last stent was put in on July 23 rd 2015. i work up out of a sound sleep with chest and back pain. I set up for a while and went back to sleep. I called my doctor office and that put me on isosorbide 30mg. i was feeling fine until Sunday morning and had to be rush to the hospital with chest and neck pain. They thought i was having a heart attack but everything came back ok.I am wonder could the med been to strong because now they have me on 10 mg and i haven't had anymore pain. I was told there would be some pain after having stents put in is that true.
Not really. The stents are there to open the artery and get a full supply of Oxygen to affected heart muscle. So why would there be chest pain? Has the Doctor not organised another angiogram to check your stents? There is so much that can be going on and Doctors just say "everything is fine". In 2007 I had a triple bypass and after 3 months I felt exactly as I did before surgery. I argued with Doctors saying "my bypass has failed but nobody will listen to me". In the end (3 months after) they did an angiogram and found all bypasses had closed up. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of their faces. Stents can collapse, stents can block very quickly, they may have stented the wrong area. In 2013 I went into ER because I felt chest pains and they did an angiogram. Nothing showed up on the screen, not one blockage. I knew something was wrong because my Troponin was high and my pain was intense. The Cardiologist said "The blockage must have dispersed" to which I didn't agree because the pain was still there. I said "do you have the equipment to do FFR" to which he said yes. In fact he said it was a great idea and he continued. FFR checks the blood flow around the catheter wire, so you can check the flow rate in any artery at any location. It turned out one of my arteries had a 50% flow drop halfway down but there was nothing on screen. He put 2 stents in and then the reading was the same all the way down. So. there are many aspects of stenting and not all is as it seems. If your pains continue, start pushing them hard for answers, it's the only way to get anywhere.
I had a heart attack in may this year,they had to put a sten,iv been back to the hospital 4 times since may,the pains I get are just like when I had the heart attack,pain in chest,arms,neck,face and head,the only thing that has helped me is the nitro,the pain is debilitating,im literally afraid to go anywhere,because I went to walmart to pick up meds and had chest pain on the way there,i feel like a prisoner in my body and house now
They obviously don't take you seriously. If you buy a car that doesn't start, would you be so easy on the previous owner? Start putting things in writing because these make a stronger case against a cardiologists record and they don't like that. Send your Cardiologist a letter saying things like "I am very dissatisfied, I can't believe I feel the same now as I did before stenting, I can't believe you won't take me seriously, I assume FFR was used". The thing which gets in the way of many cardiologists is EGO and it doesn't wash. It's your body.
MY HUSBAND HAD STINTS PLACED ON MAY 5TH 2015. HE IS BACK IN THE HOSPITAL WITH CHEST PAIN THAT HE STATES IT FEELS LIKE IT DID BEFORE THE STINTS WERE PLACED NUMBNESS IN BOTH ARMS HEAD DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT. DR STATES THEY REALLY DONT WANT TO DO ANOTHER HEART CATH. IM VERY CONCERNED THAT THERE IS ANOTHER BLOCKEAGE. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO. HE IS IN THE HOSPITAL JUST HAVING HIS REG MEDS GIVEN TO HIM. OH THE FIRST STRESS TEST BEFORE THE STINTS WAS 80% AND THE SECOND ONE WAS A BIG 81% THEY STATE THEY STILL DO NOT WANT TO DO A HEART CATH. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT. I BEING THE WIFE AM ABOUT TO GO CRAZY.
not at all, ask if they performed FFR during his procedure. If they did not, then they are guessing. FFR stands for fractional flow rate and they will know what you are talking about and may change their opinion. If they say they did do FFR, ask for the results in writing.
Did anybody have a lot of pain in throught whilst having angioplasty? I had one on Thursday and dread ever havingvto have another one. The way they treated me made me feel that it was in my imagination !
I've had a lot of experience. First are the nasty hot flushes when all that dye is put through particular areas. Next comes the pain if they have to put a stent in place, when the artery is temporarily blocked as inflation occurs. Then comes the full bladder always before they finish the procedure lol.
Viewing 201-229 comments: