Heart Disease Community
chest pain after stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

chest pain after stent

Had a stent placed in L main coronary artery (95% blockage) 2 months ago.  Prior to the stent I had been extremely athletic.  Even after coronary ischemic attacks which began just before the angioplasty, I passed stress test with flying colors. After the blockage was discovered thanks to a persistent PCP, and the stent inserted, I had chest pain afterwards.  Was re-catheterized, all the major arteries were given a clean bill of health, but was placed on a beta blocker.  Terrible reaction to the first one, put on a second one, and finally my cardiologist took me off that one as well.  Although I see some improvement, I still have chest "aches" on exertion.  All on the left side, below the heart,, in the side, sometimes in the back of the shoulder, and above the breast.  Can not walk at a normal pace.  Walk very slowly to control the pain.  Cardiologist suggested cardio rehab which will begin in a few weeks.  But have not heard of anyone else with such symptoms.  Don't know if I should risk walkin through the pain, or if it is a symptom that should be further pursued, and or tested.  All of my blood work, tests have come back normal so far.  Should I be concerned?  
....that you were stented with a left main blockage...that's what i had and it wasn;t even an option..left mammary bypass instead for  an 80& block...anyhow, I too have some pain, much like you describe and I think that the block is reoccurring after only 7 months...I feel worse and worse with each passing month...I'd be on your cardio team to make sure that the stent is holding up....
I had a very agressive interventionist, who is well known for stenting even the most daunting arteries.  Even so, when I spoke with his people, they are surprised they I still have discomfort after 2 months.  They had recatheterized me a few days after the stent placement, because I ended up in the ER with pretty intense chest pain, and the stent looked perfect.  However, the chest pain is not getting worse day by day, and in fact, over the past few days there is some minor improvement.  Just really shouldn't have any chest pain after 2 months. It's very discouraging.
Hi, I had a drug eluding stent (taxus) placed almost two months ago. I have pain when i take a deep breath, shoulder blade pain, especialy when i lie down. I have a dull ache in the center of my breastbone, don't sleep well, or at least not enough, and feel generally tired. I'm taking a beta blocker (cardensiel a french version, reduced from 5 mg to 2.5 mg) plavix 75 mg, enteric aspirin, crestor 10mg, as well as for my thyroid levoxyl .75 mg and cytomel .05 mg. I've been taking the thyroid meds for 35 yrs (the cytomel  for about ten). I'm 60 yrs old and had cardiac arrest, doctors said it wasn't a heart attack. I was resuscitated in the ambulance and i thought maybe it was the trauma of cpr and/or  shock (defibrillation) that caused the pain. After lowering the statin to once a day the pain is a little better. I read that plavix can also cause muscle pain, as well as beta blockers. I'm more tired than i was before the event. All tests, including a CT scan are negative. Some old spinal fracture showed up in the fifth vertebra. One dr said the cpr and shock may have aggravated it, as well as having to wear an external defibrillator for 11 days while drs. decided whether i needed an ICD or not. (I don't.) I used to swim a mile three or four times a week. Now i'm able to do a mile again, and walk for hours, but have to force myself. Afterword i'm very tired and just feel generally "dull" and not myself. I'm worried this is permanent and/or that it's a sign of another "event" waiting to happen. I'm not used to taking all these drugs and know that i may have to be on plavix for the rest of my life because of the risk of stenosis with the drug eluding stent. This is weighing heavily on my mind. I went from being an active fun-loving person who now looks at the world feeling on the fringe of all the fun.
I've had off and on pain since my first of five stents a few years ago.  I kept having to go back to the ER, because as I'm sure you've ascertained, it's very difficult to decide whether or not your symptoms are cardiac related or not.  My cardiologist put me on Ranexa, which supposedly helps w/ unstable angina.  I have honestly done much better over the last year, and I give credit to my cardiologist for continuing to help rather than "blow me off."  I am starting to have some difficulties again, but it was so nice to have a year or so of fairly symptom free times.  I recommend you continue to work with your cardiologist to figure out how to get over your symptoms.  Living w/ chest pain/pressure and stents is not an easy road, and I hope you get over the hump soon.  Good luck!
2 months ago, my cardiologist put me on Pravachol after taking me off the Lipitor.  I was concerned about the CoQ10 depletion effects with statins, so started taking CoQ10 a week or so before I started the Pravachol.  Almost simultaneously I noticed a decrease in chest pain with exertion.  Now, I don't know if it's just a coincidence, and that I suddenly started to get stronger, but there was a definite correlation there.  Suddenly I was able to walk at a normal pace, only felt challenged on the uphills. Shortly after that I broke my ankle, and had to attempt crutches with no cardiovascular strength. But within a week or two, I was able to do it!  I know there have been studies that have shown CoQ10 helps to alleviate regular muscle pain, but I wonder if anyone else has had this positive effect with chest pain?
I'm happy to have found someone whose symptons were like what I'm experiencing.  May 18, 2008 I had a  drug eluting stent put in the right artery for 95% blockage.  On plavix, asprin, zocor as well as other drugs for other reasons.  I keep having periodic jaw aches, chest pain discomfort, and sometimes when I lay on my left side in bed the jaw starts aching again.  I haven't taken any nitro yet, but wonder if I should just to see if the discomfort goes away.  After the first sex the jaw started aching and the ache lasted 4 to 5 hours.  Do you think I should consult my doctor?  Sounds like a stupid question, but I haven't known anyone who had this situation and i do not want to go thru the angiogram again if this is just a typical or normal event after stent is put in.  I haven't dared do anything again, and trying to treadmill walk produces the same "jaw ache"  after 3 minutes at 1.5 mph.
I have had almost the exact same symptoms.  I was a pretty active cyclist until I had a heart attack about a month ago (while riding).  I had a stent placed in the left anterior decending artery due to a 98% blockage.  All other arteries were normal.  I was told that I had insignificant heart damage, but since then I have had minor aches and twinges in my chest, throat and jaw.  The past few days, I have been getting a pain in neck just right of front center.  The pains usually last less than a minute, but reoccur quite often.  They are not big enough that I have taken my nitro yet, but quite concerning none the less.  My cardiologist didn't seem too concerned and said they are probably nothing.  Is it normal to have mild pains after a heart attack or stent?  If so, do they typically go away after some healing time?
I plan to call the cardiologist if this continues on because  I don't want to end up like tim Russert or George Carlin.  I don't know their circumstances, but I hate asking about something if I haven't given it enough time.  In my case, (the right artery 95% blockage) the Dr put 2 stents saying while he was already there he might as well put the second one in .  I guess that was because the blockage was so tight that he felt it'd be safer to extend the opening with the second stent.  A cardiolgy technician told me stent can collapse within 30 to 90 days after the procedure, and that "any pain or discomfort" requires looking into, and to use the nitro if it stays any lenghth of time.  Minor periods of time maybe par for the course at first.  I didn't see the Dr to ask him about it because he was on vacation, but I also didn't think to ask him of any possible side effects.  When I contact the office, I'll post any remarks he has to say about it.
Well, being 45 at the first of two heart attacks, I feel better knowing my symptoms are not alone. I have three stents. Two in the widow maker and one in the back. I have pains all the time. Don't know when to get seen or not. I sweat here and there. Laying in bed is oainful in the arm pit, middle chest, jaw and at times the left arm. When I get excited or angry it gets worse. I am on Liptior, Niaspan, Plavix, Zetia, Metorpral, Asprin and Lexeprel. When I run the impact causes such pain in the chest and left area I have to stop. Nitro is a temp fix at best.

I am called a challenge and am down about this.
Wow! This is eerie to suddenly come upon this thread. Had a heart attack at 45 in Jan '08, with 100% blockage of the LAD. They stented it.

I had a rod like pain about the size of a 4" pencil to the left of my sternum - my cardiologist said it was nothing extraordinary.

Had a lot of travel and work stress in Sep/Oct and I started getting intermittent pain traveling up the neck to the left side of my jaw. The pain also radiated to my left arm pit. These were some of the same symptoms I had during the heart attack.

Went to ER with the pain as it seemed to last longer and was growing in intensity. They did an angiogram and found everything was ok - and have suggested my heart and blood vessels are fine...

I've given up on complaining anymore - they say I'm okay, but the pains are there. I'm exercising 45 mins/day and ignoring the pain as no one seems to think it's serious. But I know that they're not phantom pains!

I am completely exhausted after exercise every day - feel like I hit the wall, and my legs "shake from the inside". I'm on Plavix, Niaspan, Lipitor, Asprin, and Metoprolol.

Seems several of you are in the same boat. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in these post stenting pains. Doc says Stents don't hurt. Not sure what to do at this point.
i had heart attack Nov 29 2006 stent put in ..than on DEC 2007 i was taken off plavix and 3 weeks later had another heart attack on Jan 03 2008 another stent put in..than Jan 15 2008 a needless angeogram to tell me nothing blocked....that was the start of constant pain ,heart palpitations,flip-flops ,burning blood sensations in feet and hands,numbness with hands forearms and upper legs..wicked heart burn and just feeling like death most of the time.its been a year and i feel worse now than ever..doctors don't listen they seem in a hurry to get you in and out to make that big dollar..going to energy is another night mare
i could go on and on but ..bottom line is medical profession in Ontario ***** and I'm not important enough to be heard.
I agree with Coykendall that stenting of the left main is not that common, especially in hospitals not in the NYC area! You are blessed with some of the best in the treatment of heart disease and CAD.

Having said that, the process of stenting any coronary artery is very traumatizing to that artery. The stent comes with a balloon inside of it. The doc inserts the stent into the middle of the blockage, then pressurizes the balloon to around 235 psig, for 8 seconds or more. (Your tire pressure is around 32 psig) Then the balloon is deflated and withdrawn. Did you experience severe angina when the inflation occurred? I have during two out of six stents.

The plaque or clot is smashed against the walls of the artery and held in place by the stent. This prevents the plaque from going (flowing) to the myocardium and causing an mi.

Your left main is probably 4 or more times bigger than your largest coronary artery, when it comes to diameter. It also comes directly off of the aorta. You could have just a wee bit of damage in this area that would not show on an arteriogram.

You just need to give it time to heal. I suggest light exercise for a while if it causes chest pain. Also, don't you have fast acting nitroglycerin? This is a must for all with CAD. It can prevent an mi! If it stops the chest pain, it is also a good sign that shows you are experiencing angina.

I think that you may be experiencing "referred pain" from either your left main or aorta. Arteries do not experience pain, but the heart muscle that they are "grooved into" surely can. I have had six stents and after each of them, I have experienced pain from my heart, but much different than angina. It feels more like an injury, which is exactly what I think it is.

Just my $.02 :) Hope you get better soon, and listen to your body. It will try to warn you of serious CAD developments.
I have 2 stents placed on 2 of my arteries 8 days ago and some minor chest pain just 2 days after that. The ECG didn't show anything abnormal. There was no pain since then but I still have some chest discomfort. Nobody seem to know exactly whether it is normal or not, but I feel a little better after reading this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10372298
Good luck to every one
well thank God for the internet... I had a stent put in three days ago and had chest pain yesterday.... Doc said i have nothing to worry about unless it gets worse than when i first had my heart attack some weeks ago.... anyway, i believe yesterdays pain was set off by stress and am now feeling somewhat better.... I came on here on the wife's orders and reading all these answers has shown me i am not alone.... May all our hearts be soon well

i had two stents put in two weeks ago.ive been very tired and easily fatigued.last few days been having more and more chest pains.today it was so bad i took three nitro pills.wondering if this is normal and if i should go back to the er.
Just a follow up to my last posting. Last week, which would be a week and two days since I had a stent put in i had a follow up appointment with my Doctor. I told him of the pain I had experienced in the chest post procedure and he told me there is a minority of patients who have this pain after stenting. It is not angina and nitro would not help. In truth this has now passed , something he said would be the case, and I feel better. Now I have to face lifestyle changes such as rabbit food diet and walking.... but at least i can tell the tale.
My initial doctor told me I was imagining the chest pain I had.  He didn't even bother asking me about my genetics.  I left his care and went to the Cleveland Clinic.  Three months later after a quadruple by pass three stents six cathators and numerous tests I feel awful.  Still have chest pains I'm 53 and my 80 year old father in law is in better shape than me. My Dr sent me to cardio rehab and diet.  I will diet but not cardio I think that's a death sentence until someone can tell me what my heart attack symptoms are.  
I had a stent put in two weeks ago to a 50% narrowing artery.  I have never been overweight, never smoked, have always been pretty active, careful with diet, good HDL/LDL ratio, and an excellent fitness assessment result just the week before the severe chest pain which led to the discovery of the narrowing artery.  Now I am on 5 different drugs and advised not to do any strenuous exercises (no swimming or riding) for 4 weeks.  I am feeling pretty frustrated and am wondering whether it would be fine for me to attend indoor cycle classes after 2 weeks.
Personally I think it depends on which vessel the stent is placed into. If the stent is put
into the LAD in particular there seems to be a fair amount of discomfort. I had a stent put into my Obtuse marginal over two years ago and felt immediate benefits with no discomfort whatsoever. The stent is still patent. A few days ago I had five large stents
put into my LAD and I get a nasty pinching sensation when I inhale. It feels a bit like a
nasty stitch but deeper. If I cough it also gives a shooting pain. The pains shoot up from
what feels like my left lung to my left shoulder and neck. Paracetamol rids the discomfort and I've been told to drink lots of water and the stents should settle down after a few days. Time will tell. I was also surprised to hear that angina will probably be experienced for a while until the heart adjusts.
Usually, a 50% occlusion is not considered serious enough to stent (American Hospital Association and the American Academy of Cardiology recommendation), and seldom would a 50% lesion cause chest pains...but obviously there are exceptions...you are in better condition than most, and I am surprised you have difficulties.

Five years ago, I had a stent implant in a 98% blocked RCA, LAD is totally blocked but collaterized with grown vessels, and a 72% blocked circumflex that is not stented.  After the stent implant and release from the hospital for congested heart failure, there were no restrictions with discharged instructions, I felf very energetic and very active (mowed lawns on my 2 properties the day I was released).  Presently, I take a nitrate when going to the gym to workout and no problems.  Also, my medication is an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure control, a beta blocker (coreg) for bp and rhythm stability, and a med for cholesterol.

Follow your doctor's instructions, but it certainly differs from mine, and your general health appears good...much better than most.

Just discovered that it was a mid LAD 60% stenosis, not 50% as I originally thought.  On the ultra sound scan, it appeared that the plaque was unstable.  Problem of family history of coronary artery disease and hypertension, things I couldn't modify unfortunately.  Been going for long walks since release from hospital, but would really like to get back to my cycling training (and the gym) as I have registered for a longish ride just 5 weeks away.  

Don't know whether it is Lipitor, Plavix, Coversyl, or Somac that is giving me the congested sensation around the chest-throat.  Would anyone know what possible side effects these drugs might cause?
Now 5 years later, same very severe chest pain every day, after very large Drug eluding stent placed 9 mo after 2004 MI in osteum of LAD. Done at Cleveland Clinic Weston FL. The Cleveland Clinic interventionist just ignored me for no reason. Said it must be esophageal ulcers!... Later went to top Cleveland Clinic Gastero, who did extensive studies, said everything in esophageal area perfect and sent me back to Cardiologist who again blew me off for no reason... Cleveland Clinic intervention dept. could care less... Refused to look into it... Still now just as bad as first day. I have tried everything to no avail. Dozens of drugs, Renexa, all B Blocker brands, C Channel brands, Ace Inhib brands, hundreds of types of home remedies, supplements, best Co Q available, Chelation, Phosphitylcholine IV therapy, Stem Cell angioplasty in Bangkok Thailand with Theravitae (complete waste of $30,000.00). Nothing natural I took made me worse or better... but all drugs would actually make my condition worse, so I would search around, or stop them... Also complete IVUS of stent at Mt Saini in New York by top interventionist, and investigation of stent over and over, including extensive esophageal investigation, and aorta CT's... all super normal. Records sent to top 7 interventionists in USA, heads of departments at major hospitals: Current thoughts: Doctors at U of TexasAustin, and N Western U Chicago told me that they have documented thousands with severe pain like mine from Drug eluding stent. Johnson and Johnson blew me off when I contacted them, could care less... The Texas/Chicago study is on web. It involved 11 major hospitals and thousands of cases. Read it. Possibility now: one Florida top interventionist (and U Texas Drs also) recommended he gives Celebrex to many of my type of cases, of which he said there are far more than reported (and steroids perhaps cortizone or other steroids, if Celebrex does not work) to reduce severe constant stent caused inflammation. The Texas Dr's also try these remedies. Have tried all over the counter and natural inflammatories, hundreds... none work. Will now consider dreaded Celebrex, but he said to increase aspirin a lot when taking Celebrex, if not on Plavix. Now off Plavix for years. Local Cardio does not like the idea of celebrex, and especially no way to Cortizone, and I agree that Cortizone (steroid) not an option. Any one extensively investigate this as I have?
Are collateral growths detectable? By what tests please?
I've been searching the forums for months looking for someone with both thyroid and CAD problems. I sympathise entirely with you. I have the same symptoms. I take 100 levothyroxine but have increasingly low free T3 and would like to try cytomel but most posts on the thyroid forum have warned me off it because  of my   heart condition. What has been your experience please?
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:FKununr8RIYJ:www.scielo.br/scielo.php%3Fpid%3DS0102-76382003000400002%26script%3Dsci_arttext+inflammation+from+coronary+stent&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The above web "http" contains the best article to explain what is wrong with us... there are newer articles and american written that say the same thing... but I like this one as it is so easy to understand, has pictures of the problem, etc.

I will later post another article that tells what some doctors are trying drug wise to help, but none of the drugs helped me really. One is Celebrex, for example, or prednisone, dangerous drugs perhaps, but tried by doctors.

Note other recent articles written by american doctors and scientists about patent (compeletly open) stents, yet severe chest pain/angina, are by some very exteemed doctors.

Some others suggest it is the plastic (polymer) coating around the Drug eluding stent adding to the already big problem of constant non-bending and stretch. The problem of post (after) stent pain would occur with the bare large stent, but not as much as with the Drug eluding stent...

...if you really take time to search the web, you will see dozens of well written articles about it... only way out I think seems to be to somehow have a bypass around the stent, eliminate it.

...In my case (now 5 years old) it would mean perhaps a 5 way bypass, since the stent is sticking into the left main, though the blockage was origionally only in the small part of one vessel, the LAD osteum (end). So I am screwed. Others I know were able to bypass and remove the stent with out much trouble, single vessel, etc., though it was open chest, heart out, heart lung machine, full bypass, but only one vessel. In my case, a 5 way bypass would be too dangerous, so I have sought other means without success. I have tried all natural anti inflammitories with no success. I feel time is running out.

I have severe chest pain every nite and morning since the morning after it was installed. Including now. Read the questions I also posted whether I should undergo bypass.
i had two stents put in three weeks ago i have had some chest pain but my aright arm is still hurting and is weak plus after the stent i always tired fatigue cant catch my breath went to er and was told nothing is wrong but i cont to get out of breath is this normal?
I DONT HAVE HEART TROUBLE BUT I HAVE HAD A STROKE THEY SAY MY HEART IS FINE THEY JUST TOLD ME MY artery GOING TO MY BRAIN ON MY RIGHT SIDE IS 100% BLOCKED AND THAT IT CAN NOT BE FIXED THAT DONT SEEM RIGHT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
Everyone is different with stenting. As I stated in my last post in this thread, A stent to my LCX gave no chest discomfort. My 5 stents to the LAD gave nasty pinching pains for about three weeks in total, but my cardiologist told me to take things easy and drink plenty of fluids, which I did. In two days the discomforts disappeared and have not returned since september. One thing which confuses me is that with five long stents, end to end, how is blood getting through the artery wall into branches feeding heart tissue? Surely these will be covered with tissue by now and block all exits?
we will all die soon enough - lets all use that knowledge to make as many people happy as possible -- I thnk my stent is not workink
could we please correspond? I've searched a long time in the forums for someone with both CAD and thyroid problems. Perhaps we could exchange experiences
oldie
I am dismayed to find so many taking so many drugs. I'm on seven. I have a stress-tested 'suggested' triple obstruction and a low FT3 thyroid and low HDL colesterol. I told my cardio that my morale problem is that I don't know what is causing my symptoms - the thyroid and heart conditions themselves,  , the drugs I'm taking for them, or the old-time severe stress symptoms that I've had for 25 years. So many drugs share side effects especially  dizziness, fatigue, nausea.This is confusing. I have dropped each one except Rhytmonorm for ten days each to see what happens. Nothing so far. I'm fit one day and sick as a dog the next. My meds are Rhytmo 150/day, Coreg 6.25, Lipitor 40gm, Levothyroxine 125, Vastarex 2/day, Blopress 8mg, aspirin 81. Has anyone found his/her way out of this maze?
I had suffered my first heart attack in March 08 which was followed up by taking prescribed medication. My Cardiologist at the time advised that I was a 'unique' case - I have never smoked, don't drink, early 50's, female, not overweight, reasonably active and fit. I can recall that when I resumed my regular exercise of walking my dog following this heart attack, (no stent insertion), I did encounter aching in the jaw, under the tongue and in my cheeks.
I had a 2nd heart attack in Nov 09, which involved a stent being inserted. Following some difficulty with the angiogram insertion point at the groin, terrible bruising occurred at this site and right across the pelvic region, which meant I had to stay in the hospital-bed longer than necessary to aid recovery. I believe that because of the additional time I had to spend in bed and not able to move for fear of upsetting the healing process at the angiogram site,  I have since been diagnosed with a pulmonary embolus (blood clot in the lung).  Six weeks after the stent and pulmonary embolus diagnosis,  chest discomfort, aching arms - sometimes upper arms, wrists and hands, jaw ache and under tongue ache has occurred over the past 10 days. Upon seeing my Cardiologist 5 days ago and reporting this aching in my body, particularly the mouth region and arms, she promptly requested further blood tests, and a treadmill test to ascertain how much blood was being supplied to the heart (via a radioactive substance being injected into me one minute before the end of the treadmill test), as she did suggest that perhaps the stent was collapsing and a lack of blood and oxygen was not getting to the heart.  Immiediately following the treadmill test, photos were then taken of the heart via an xray machine.  My Cardiologist advised she would phone me as soon as she received the results and there was anything to suggest problems.  I haven't heard anything from her as yet, 4 days since the test, indicating all is well.  I can only suggest that perhaps these aches and pains within the chest, arms, jaw and mouth are all "normal" activities experienced by post-stent recipients.
From being a very active, reliable, healthy woman, I now feel like I'm going down hill extremely quickly, with no brakes, taking far too many pills, including warfarin (for blood clot), ramipril, clopidogrel, lipitor, Imdur, atenolol, Somac.  Thanks for reading.  Good luck to all.
I had chest discomfort after a plain stent was put in back in 2007. The pain comes and goes. Maybe no more than a 3 or 4 at the most... on the 1 to 10 pain scale... Make you worry that if for sure!
Finally went to the Mayo Clinic in 2008 to see if they could tell me anything. After 3 days they wound up telling me that when a piece of metal (stent) is inserted to that area of our bodies, the brain immediately begins sending signals back and forth to the brain..."hey..foreign material here" types of signals back and forth from the location of the stent back to the brain.
Those signals sent down to my heart muscle from the location of the stent is the chest discomfort that I was feeling from time to time. The perscription they gave me was to just ignore the chest discomfort and over some time..my brain would stop sending that signal back and forth.
It seemed to work for me after within just a few weeks (after) they told me I was OK... So was the final decison of the famous Mayo Clinic.

The plan is a good plan but it does not mean to ignore things either.
If you have chest pain,,take a baby asprin or take a nitro tablet. IF your get pain chest pain relief within 6 minutes or less from either the asprin or nitro (and) you have to repeat this process over a week or more to get the pain to go away...then get in to see your heart doctor..!!!
I see I am in good company.  Your post makes perfect sense.  I am 61, very active with no symptoms, and just had my first stent, Liberte, this past Monday w/no sedation.  The Doc kept telling my wife I was a "very, very lucky man."  Of course it was the LAD, widowmaker w/90-95% blockage and rupture.  I owe great thanks to whatever power causes those who care and listen and of course my fabulous cardiologist (the most caring doc I've ever had,) my exceptional surgeon, and my wonderful, loving wife.

I, too, have post op pains (not scary) even after he went back in, this time thru groin, for some 'downstream' debris which he treated with a drug.  Of course as some pain persists I wonder what's going on.  I had no damage, but maybe some debris is affecting tiny vessels, or maybe it is just the brain.

I hope to let you know if the latter is true after I allow time, meditation, and giving it 'no thought' a chance.  I'm itching to get back on my bike and get the bpm's up.  Will keep you posted.

OMG this is what I'm talking about!! It seams I'm not the only one having all these problems, after getting 2 stents 95% blocked,, We all need to get back to see the doctor!!!!!!
Well, I'm back on the bike as if nothing happened.  My wife wouldn't let me do a thing until my wonderful cardiologist said OK.  She said get back to it, the big worry was before the stent.  I will be taking Imdur for at least 2months.  Plavix 1-3 months.  Full strength aspirin daily.  And now, Crestor 5mg.

I feel great, no cardio pains.  Maybe some small sensations.  I got up to 135bpm today!

Good to hear there are people like me.  I've had 4 stents and an angioplasty on one of the stents.  The last stent was placed over a year ago and I still have chest pains.  I've had two more angiograms due to the pain and the stents were fine. The Dr. chalked it up to "anxiety". I don't agree with this, but what can I do. I take "Ativan" the anxiety drug sometimes when I feel pain and I lay down too.  I feel okay after awhile, but I probably would've anyway without the Ativan.  When I had the first 3 stents placed (95% blockage in one...about 75% in the others) the Dr. said the smaller arteries had some blockage, but nothing to worry about.  I wonder if it could be the reason and if there is anything I can do about it.  My life is affected and I want to be better.  I have other issues to deal with.. like a seizure disorder.
I read a comment you left for another member and you stated you would have stents rather than open-heart surgery any day, after reading this information on how many people are having pain after they have had stents, and I could put my own story up with the same symptoms and conditions.  My father has had one open-heart surgery everything bypassed valves replaced. He had a long and hard recovery but he seems to be fine now at 76 years of age, I wonder if I will still have chest pain and repeated visits to the emergency room, bottles of Nitro in every pocket for the rest of my life.
By the way thank you for your information on the EKG it is helpful in trying to understand and being a part of your health care
Well almost all you guys who had stent implanted more than a year ago , have mentioned about the pain after you were discharged . Some of you complained of pain having suffered for months and few even after few months  sudden onslaught. But the point is, all the communication is only while sufferring , only one or two bothered to add about  recovery or continuity of pain or  their current status. Please note that , many new stent sufferers can draw some kind of solace or consolation after reading about others pain , but the real confidence will come when they hear the full story or from the begining till current day. Can at lease few of you narrate your condition today .  Also it is very important to tell every one how you solved the mess .
Kriss ( likely, Could be a future stent user )
Well, it's been nearly two years since my MI and stent in the LAD.  I realize that I am lucky in that I had "minimal damage" to my heart.  I used to get chest/neck/jaw pains hours after exercising.  I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor that is worn around the chest and signals a watch on your wrist.  I found that I only had pain if I exceed about 150 bpm during exercise, and it's getting better.  After very regular exercise for over a year, I rode a 1-day, 80 mile bike ride last year (15 months after my MI) through the mountains of Colorado (6000 ft of elevation gain) without any problems.  I did ride slower than my friends being that it's hard to ride up a pass and keep your heart rate down, but I couldn't be more thrilled!  Get a heart rate monitor, get to know your own body, and exercise regularly.  You may not get back to where you were, but your life will improve none the less.  Good luck!
I remember reading about a procedure 2 or 3 years ago which they believed would be available in the next decade. It involves a synthetic elastic artery which is strong enough to withstand blood pressure, and will completely break down in a few months. The idea being, they remove your diseased artery, replace it with the synthetic one, coat it with stem cells and you grow a new healthy vessel. Sounds like science fiction I know, but I can't seem to find how far this research has now progressed.
45 years old, went to ER with minor chest pain radiating into left arm. 4 days later came out with 3 drug eluding stents (RCA, 65, 75 and 85% blockages). Chest pain immediate after stents resulting in extra days in hospital and return trip 2 days later due to chest pain.

Now 2 months post stenting, pain in chest has increased. Burning and pinching sensation, comes and goes. Pain in left arm, shoulder and jaw. Definate weakness in left arm. Taking Plavix and asprin, couldn't stand taking the Crestor and Tricor and refused Niaspan after reading the side effects. Stress test re-done and doctor unconcerned about chest pain, basically stating "it's in my head." My head couldn't make this up! Pain has now created onset of anxiety/panic attacks and need for even more medications- Xanax and Zoloft.

When can a person expect to see a decrease in the pain or is this a lifetime sentence?
I had one stent placed in my upper right coronary artery after a heart attack with 100% blockage. This was 5 months ago and I still have chest pain (pain in right breast, aching in left arm and under arm, sometimes pressure in upper chest). I have not felt well since the big event, except that I have more energy. My pain tends to get a little more intense as the day progresses. I can start out my day happy and hopeful, but in the evening I get gloomy and think as you said, "is this a life sentence?"

I am 50, normal weight, no diabetes, but heart disease does run in the family. I walk the treadmill 30 min. a day and swim laps twice a week. I have been to 2 cardiologists, one heart surgeon, and a family practioner. None of them know why I am still feeling pain, they don't think the stent is causing it. I also had a myocardial perfusion study and a coronary CT angiogram, both turned out normal. Over the weekend, I had sharp pains in my heart. My doctor put me on Protonix, thinking my pain may not be heart related. I've tried Ranexa, I'm not sure it does any thing for me, Nitrogylcerin pills help some, but don't last long. I take the standard five heart meds: Metoprolol, Lisinopril, Plavix, Asprin, and Simvastatin. At night, if I'm feeling extra anxiety I take Lorazepam and I'm a lousy sleeper so I take 1/2 an Ambien. Talk about drug city, I'm on ten different meds!

When I was experiencing my heart attack I thought, if I get through this, I'm going to count each new day as a blessing. I didn't anticipate that each day would be painful. But I am writing this to you in the morning and so I'm on the hopeful end of the day, I am thinking there are answers to getting well again, whether they be stent related or not. Sometimes I feel lonely in my condition, it feels good to know there are others trying to figure things out. The only advice I can give at this time is that I think exercise helps and do something you enjoy each day.
I was just reviewing my comment and noticed that I wrote that I had pain in my right breast, I meant my left breast area along with my left arm.
It has been 6 months since my heart attack and stent placement in my RCA. I wanted to share with you that in the last month I have greatly improved (very little pain ). I am not sure why it took me over 5 months to feel better, and I don't know why things have changed. Maybe time was needed and my brain has adjusted with the foreign object in a main artery. I don't think I will ever be the same since the big event and I still get little aches and pains, but nothing to complain about, and certainly not as scary.

I have been dealing with bladder pain recently and my doctor took me off Lisinopril for that reason. I'm taking myself off Ambien too. My doctor told me that I will need to stay on Macrobid, Simvastatin, and Asprin for the rest of my life because of the nature of the heart attack.

I wish you all the best, and hope that you are returning to a state of wellness. I know that continual pain is a very hard thing to bear. I hope my report is encouraging.
Hi All,

I happened to stumble on this thread...I am a cardiac nurse and have worked an interventional cardiology unit at the hospital for a while now.....it is normal for patients to feel post-stenting chest pain, as long as it is not worsening, and is not accompanied by other cardiac symptoms such as nausea/vomiting, lightheadedness, severe shortness of breath, etc. I didn't see anyone mention this above but a lot of vessels will spasm when there is significant plaque built up.  Some people feel these spasms for several months post stenting but others dont feel it at all.  Sometimes nitro helps but sometimes it doesnt. Stents are technically not supposed to hurt, what hurts is the spasms along with any tissue injuries from a blockage that causes lack of blood flow to the muscle....then when it is revascularized by a stent you have an onslaught of blood flowing to a previously dying section of heart muscle - think of when you're out in the cold with no gloves and you go inside and your fingers start to burn and throb...same type of concept.  For those of you with continued chest discomfort, the drug Ranexa has been proven to help chronic chest pain and it helps the heart pump more efficiently to feed the tissue with oxygen rich blood.  Best wishes to you all!
I also had a heart attack. Had 90 percent on left side and 70 on the right. 4 stents in right 1 in left.
Afterwards I also kept having chest pains, they called mine thoracic outlet syndrome. It has to do with the heart mucles and bridge and bones afterwards that get tight. I started physical therapy for mine and it really has helped. It felt just like chest pains but it wasn't.
I'm 52 and was the look of health, bad genes and cholesterol was my problem. Right now I walk on a treadmill and quit smoking 2 months ago. doing great.
I had a heart attack while working full time and in graduate school, 10 years ago age 33.  It took me 6 weeks to get back to work, and I received 2 stents with two procedures within 2 weeks.  Since then, I have been in the hospital every six months or so over the past 10 years.  I have had 16 cardiac caths, resulting in a total of 6 stents, the last one being last August (2010).

I was in the hospital again about 3 weeks ago, had another cath, which was clear.  Since then, I am having increasing regular (predictable) chest pain (mild) in my right chest.  My new cardiologist told me to increase my activity and lose weight.  I am doing both, and although my arteries are 'clear', my chest pain is increasing in frequency and intensity.  In addition, I am experiencing decreasing concentration, forgetfulness, and increasing anxiety about my own health.

I'm on a variety of medications.  They took me off the beta-blocker because it made me dangerously bradycardic.  I'm having another sleep study this Sunday (checking for mixed sleep apnea).  I already have sleep apnea, and I am also mildly Bipolar Type II.

Don't know quite what to do.  I am encouraged by reading the posts here that I'm not alone.  I'm 43 now with six stents and continuing chest pain.  I'm worried that I will soon not be able to work.  I'm following up with my cardiologist next week, I think.

Any input you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Fitzgerald
Murrieta, California
Anyone with positive results from stents.? I get my cath is two days and may get from one to three stents. Can I say goodbye to nausea, fatigue, dizziness, general  malaise?  A reduction in my seven drugs which all have their bad side effects? Am I going to be liberated?
If you can get by with the older bare metal stent you will not have to take PLavix the rest of your life.  Ask your Doc before the procedure.  Incedentally I was awake for mine.  While there is discomfort after the stent is placed it is not unbearable and allows you to participate with the Doc.
I last posted 2/17.  Since we have moved across  country.  I have just started to resume my old biking routine and just participated in a timed hill climb that kept going for 2miles.  I was at 130+ bpm for over 20m and I don't feel any worse.  I may have minor "pains" still, but nothing I've never felt before and I wouldn't describe as heart related.
Got my cath at last.There was just one 95% block. It was on the right artery and was stented. There's a 60% block on a minor branch of the back descending artery of apparently not much consequence.

they spent half a day and a night closing  the hole in the femoral artery and I have to creep around for a couple of days. But it seems right on and my hope is that the new oxygenated blood flow will revive the damaged heart walls and cut the fatigue etc. I see the doc again June 4 and will know more then. I managed to  give the head nurse two gentle pinches under the arm as she took my blood pressure and  she smiled. So don't fret about being 81, guys..
Thank you all for your backing and for pushing me into getting.  the catheter.
yes, I have a bare metal stent and am on plavix and aspirin (amongst other stuff). Your record with exercise is encouraging. A question please: did you suffer from fatigue as a major symptom before your treatment and has it now gone?
cvnurseann: thank you for your image of an onslaugfht of blood to a previously dying section of heart muscle. This is what I now pray is happenning to me and that the result will be goodbye to the debilitating fatigue that plagued me for months. A stress test eight months ago showed hypokinesis in part of the heart muscle. That part should be getting oxygenated blood now? If you have a moment for comment please, I'd be grateful
Glad to here the procedural part is over.  Was the hole in the aorta discovered during the angiogram?
The great thing about the bare metal stent is.....you don't have to take Plavix the rest of your life.  In my case it was only for 2 months, but I did have to increase aspirin to a full dose for a while.  Later my doc reduced to two 81mg/day.  
I did not have precipitating event nor was I fatigued.  My doc just felt it was time for another stress test before I moved.  8 years earlier the LAD was about 45% blocked.  The mapping showed an area with less circ and she got me scheduled ASAP.  I chose to be awake and saw and heard all.  The surgeon exclaimed I was lucky to be alive as the blockage was now 95% and had ruptured.
Bottom line I had the most caring doctor I have ever known....I owe her my life!  She fully expected to be replacing my bicuspid aortic valve by now, but it hasn't changed much in the last 10 years.
Start exercising and pushing your limits as soon as you are able and the doc says OK.
Be well!
the hole was in the femoral artery where the cath was inserted.It healed very quickly. I tried a first walk four days after the cath. Dizzy after 500m. But I'll take your good advice about pushing it when  the doc says go

Wow. It seems like its "normal" to have scattered pain after the stenting and bypass.  Has anybody stopped their Omeprazole and Nexium because of the new FDA warning PIP interfere with the Plavix?
I had a stent put in (POM) and had a dull pain for months.  It faded after a while.  But it came back, worse each day.  Then I had an heated argument that nearly came to blows with an idiot customer.  My heart was trying to go in to afib during the altercation, I think due to the adrenaline.  After the near fight was over, it took a couple of hours for my heart to seem to return to normal.  BUT the pain was gone and hasn't returned for three months now.
I don't know how, but if it returns, I'll try to get the adrenaline going again.
Interesting story, but unfortunately no pain is not a very good indication whether or not the heart is safe from any damage.  Many individuals have a silent heart attack (no symptoms), and symptoms will occur later when and if there is heart failure or arrhythmia.  Thanks for sharing, take care.
It is now over 2 and a half years since I had my stent.  I would say it took over a year and a half before I could exercise at a normal level without chest pain.  I now exercise at or above what most people do at my age, but am conscious of my limits.  I use a heart rate monitor when I do cardio... and make sure I don't go over 140 bpm.  If I do it takes days to recover.  Otherwise I feel great.  It's easier to exercise in the morning than in the afternoon or evening, and I have to eat regularly or I get exhausted.  And yes, if I overdo things I get nauseous and light headed... but there is no perceivable problem.  All I can say... is that it was a very, very long haul, but I did see positive results in the end.  Cardio rehab was very very helpful in the early months, even though I was still pretty limited.  Then I just added stuff on as I felt I was ready.  Just wanted to say,that there was light at the end of the tunnel.  Good luck to all.

-Lauren  
Chest pain?  I think it is all the foreign objects in my chest.  Have you ever seen your chest x-ray or viewed the CD of your angiogram?  After my 5xCABG and 3 stents, it is a wonder the metal detectors don't go off at the airports.  In addition to the stents, there are oodles and oodles of little metal clips all over my chest, and 3 wires to hold the sternum together.  If you had a CABG, then you have little clips and wires in your chest, too.  Some days are better, and some days are worse. I have the least amount of pain when I get up in the morning.  I can imagine these little clips or wires giving a stab when we are active and moving about.  There are lots of symptoms that no longer are present after the heart procedures, such as swelling of the feet, swelling of the face, overwhelming fatigue despite getting 8 hours of sleep and wide spread dull pain in the chest (which I thought was asthma).  I'd rather have the chest pain then be on the verge of dying from a massive heart attack.
you're the very first I've found on the forum who has watched the CD of your angio intervention and stenting. Tell me please, did you see what apeared to ber little clouds of contrast dye puffing out of the artery where the stent was placed.?
My cardio who has posibly done up to 3000 (three thousand) interventions in 20 years,says, ' Not to worry. prededure was normal'.
Family and friends watching (and me) are freaked out. 'You've been punctured!' they say.
any feedback please?.
I am having heart cath on Monday. I also just found out I have a thyroid problem and have anklosing spondylitis. Mine is severe and may be the reason I am having this problem. I used to exercise and have low cholestrol but haven't had mine checked in awhile. My Doctor that told me I had the thyroid problem is out of town so I am waiting on that. I am on a lot of medication for this and COPD. I am scared to death to have this and for the results since I have been having symptoms for a while now and I used to exercise an hour and half a day and now can't do anything.. I have had 2 surgeries and my blood pressure dropped so they were not able to give me much pain medication. My Doctor is only giving me a 5mg Valuim. Is that enough for the procedure?

Thanks for any that can help!
Although I noted someone above saying they were awake for their cath, I believe they generally put you to sleep for them, I had two of them. Tell them about your previous exeriences with anesthesia in surgery, but that you want to be sure you're out for the procedure, and I think they'll come up with an anesthetic regimen that will work out for you. Best wishes! Rick
I see you take a med for cholesterol as well as those for heart. My last lipid test shows HDL 43.53 and LDL 37.47.  HDL HIGHER than LDL?  Am I a freak or lucky? Total cholesterol is 109. This means a ratio of HDL to total of 2.5. Very good. But HDL to LDL is 0.86???any thoughts please.
I went to the doctor religiously for over 35 years in Florida and up until July, 2010 had never had high blood pressure, nor racing pulse,  nor heart disease. Moved to Alabama where there isn't a major hospital and after being treated for bronchitis at the emergency room, and four following visits within that 1 week... I was told to see a primary care physician locally, and a heart doctor (as they saw a difference in my EKG's from the 1st visit and the 4th).  Thanks to Dr. Benz from ER, I avoided a Tim Russert scenario; however, I feel worse than ever before.  The primary care sent me to a cardio who ordered a stress test, a heart cath and immediate stent for an 80% blockage. He said that he continued to explore my heart during the cath and that my heart was healthy other than that one blockage.  I was put on Plavix for 2 years, and Aspirin, and a blood pressure pill (for the first time in my life).  Since then I feel terrible and have NEVER been without chest pain, tightness (heaviness), high blood pressure that has never been under control since the procedure (even through 4 diff. meds.), total fatigue, personality changes among sooooo many other things.  But now.... I have Atrial Fibulation that is not under control and I am now on 5 medications.  I address these things with the "Nurse Practitioner" as I haven't seen my actual cardio doctor since the hospital stay from the stent placement.  Each appointment at his office is with the NP, who has changed my blood pressure meds and added me on a heart pill.  It was after taking that "New Great Blood Pressure" med that my blood pressure for the first time in my life shot up to 198/100+.  Before I was diagnosed my lower never went above 80-86.  Normally it was 120/80. He says the pain in my shoulder, jaw and arm are prob from muscles.  Just guessing...I guess! He scheduled me for another stress test; HOWEVER that morning I woke up with the feeling of an elephant sitting on my chest,  my bp was spiking high to extremely high and my pulse was 198 then 160, then 189...etc. When the paramedics showed up.. they asked no questions but took me straight out to the ambulance saying I needed to be stabilized immediately.   Where do I go from here?  After a three day hospital stay (and 2 additional meds) they can still not stabilize my rhythm and my bp.  I had Cardizem and Multaq while in the hospital and they sent me home with the bp doing better but the rhythm jumping from 88 to 120 when I just stand up. Doc said I SHOULD be just fine.   My bp goes from 160/90 to 115/55 and my pulse rate hasn't dipped below 90 (although it jumps to 112 when I just stand up)..Did I mention that I NEVER had a bp out of the range of 115 to 155/ 68 to 86 before.... and my pulse NEVER went over 80's (usually in 70's).  I've never felt worse.  Couldn't even list all of my symptoms.   My question is ... Can a heart cath go wrong?  Can damage happen from the procedure itself?  And does the doctor have to fess up?. I do realize that there is the eggshell theory that passed thing that I may have or may not have done may explain what happens at my age, but so suddenly?... and when I was finally feeling so well after the bronchitis cleared up? I've always went to the doctor every couple of months as I have had several back surgeries and knee surgeries, I quit smoking and I haven't draink alcohol since 1979.  I have three small children that I care for and I need to make sure that I have the best care possible.  This scares me though... like I am waiting to go DOWNHILL fast.  Has anyone else had these problems or do I need to get a quick second opinion?  Any ideas?  Seems like many of you had similar situations...... Thanks for your patience in reading this,  Sincerely frustrated in Alabama,  Ron
I think that there can be a couple of possibilities why some people don't get immediate relief from stenting or return to normal. First and foremost is the heart muscle. If you have suffered high levels of Ischaemia from a lack of blood supply to the heart, then the muscle tissue will be in a bit of a mess. In most cases, the muscle recovers but takes time, usually a few months. Another possibility is that Vasospasm can be induced by a catheter 'tickling' the artery lining. Vasospasm can vary in severity, from a few % to 99%. So you can imagine the effect if a coronary artery is squeezing very tight then relaxing constantly at a fast rate. I had 5 angio procedures with no trouble, but number 6 gave me vasospasm for about 3 months. Although rhythm irregularities didn't exist, my heart rate would jump up to 120 if I stood up, and yet would relax very quickly when I sat back down. Now from 68 at rest, it jumps to 90 when I stand up, then after 20-30 seconds it drops to around 78-80. Walking on a flat, it hovers between 100-120, walking uphill it goes to 120-140, steep hill 140-160. Vigorous aerobic exercises 180-190.
Another possibility for discomfort, like a pinching, is thought to be from the stent pushing against the artery wall. I felt a nasty pinching from my second load of stents, but was told to drink plenty of fluids and it lasted a few weeks. I felt nothing from my very first stent.
Medication can't be overlooked. Beta blockers are nasty things which zap all your energy. They are great for keeping the heart from over reacting, but they make you feel lethargic and give you a "can't be bothered" attitude.
I had a drug coated stent placed on my left artery on August 13, 2010. I have at time been pain free. However, there are times where I have a burning sensation on my left side heart area which goes to my arm pit area and down my left side. I went back to the emergency room two weeks later and did several blood test and determined that plavix was not working for me and put me on Effient. It appears to be working as I re-entered the hospital two weeks later and they determined I had an acid reflux problem. Taking 300 mg of Zantac twice per day. I am still experiencing the burning sensation. Excercise seems to help and I walk briskly for 50 Minutes each morning.
I have had no shortness of breath, nausea and generally fill good. I also have plenty of energy. I am 65ys old. Hopefully I will outlast these pains as I think they are caused by the stent placement procedure. Time will tell.  
33 year old healthy female (non-smoker, healthy weight), 3 heart attacks due to dissecting coronary aneurysm (2/22/10, 2/26/10 and 3/18/10), 2 stents - one bare metal and one DES off the left circumflex.

I have "episodes" of intense chest pain/pressure that spreads into my arms, neck, jaw and shoulders.  Along with the pain I experience fatigue, light headedness, and usually dizziness/nausea.  I've been to the ER several times and tropinins always come back normal and I had a clear cath in April 2010.  Nuclear stress test was good.  I completed cardiac rehab and exercise vigorously on a regular basis with no problems.  These "episodes" come about once a week and sometimes last a few hours but can also last a whole day or more.  Cardiologist is stumped and doesn't know what to do and has consulted with the rest of his team but no one has any ideas.  They say it isn't my heart but it has to be related to my recent heart issues because I never even knew what chest pain was before my first heart attack!  I'm on my 2nd day of this pain right now and am really losing hope.  I had an echo this morning which was perfect.  They don't want to do another cath since I've had 5 of them and last one was perfect.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?  We're all at a loss and I sit here in pain and feel like there's nowhere to go from here.    
Have they considered vasospasm? Maybe one of your coronary arteries is going into spasm, restricting blood flow. These 'usually' occur randomly and are not triggered by such things as exercise. When you get the pains, have they suggested you use nitro spray to see if the pain goes away? Nitro helps spasms settle down in many people, while others have to take calcium channel blockers each day to prevent them. However, calcium channel blockers have the same effect as a beta blocker and can make you feel a bit lethargic.
I am on a c-channel blocker and also use Nitro.  The Nitro has only helped a few times but generally does nothing.  I even wore a Nitro patch for a couple of months and saw no effect on the episodes.  Everything I've read about spasms indicate that they last about 30 minutes but my pain can go on for hours so that alone makes me have my doubts about spasms.      
Yes I had vasospasms for about 3 weeks after my last angioplasty, but what I read on the internet didn't really match my symptoms. The internet said that vasospasm usually occurs in the morning and lasts, as you say, around 30 minutes. Mine were never in the morning, in fact, most were early evening. They would occur if I was standing, sitting or laying down. I tried Nitro to no effect but 180mg CCB (3x60mg) daily did help a lot. Each episode before I started CCB would go on for hours and the only way to stop it was to have a sleep. Thankfully everytime I woke up it had stopped. After three weeks they went away as quickly as they had started, thank God.
I didn't get pain with mine, the vessel didn't constrict enough for that, but waves of dizziness were quite scary. Although I didn't get any pain, I did feel a kind of twitch inside my chest and it was kind of like my heart was beating a bit out of rhythm and continually trying to kick back into normality. It was like something was being shaken around in my chest. Apart from any pain, do you feel any other sensations? light headedness, shortness of breath or anything?
Thanks for sharing your experiences with spasms, ed.  My episodes do occur mostly at rest but I'm currently on day 3 of pain and there has been no relief.  Usually just getting to sleep will help me feel better too but the past two nights have been the exception as I sleep really well and wake up with the pain all over again.  

The other symptoms I get with the pain are dizziness, light headedness, sometimes shortness of breath, and arm tingling sensations.  All symptoms I got with my heart attacks which makes this extremely frustrating.  

If the pain continues through the day I may call my cardiologist and see if he'll be willing to increase my ccb just for the heck of it.  He's not willing to repeat an angiogram at this point but if I don't get relief I may insist on it.  
I was awake during my procedure and saw (and felt) the stent being installed.  It was very cool!

I saw all the vessels with the exception of a dark area that they pointed out to me.  As soon as the stent was in place the dye filled out the dark area with a perfect picture of a branching vessel.  It was quite a show, I wish that they recorded it.
to answer your question ... No, I didn't see any puffs of dye, just a sharp, clear image of the opened artery.
I never was prescribed Nitro, it seems as though every one I read about who's been stented carries Nitro with them.  
I had three stents put in yesterday. Today when I walked a bit I started having some chest pain. It was different than the pain from before the stent, which was a burning sensation in my chest when doing moderate exercise. This was more of a feeling of pressure and an ache in the center of my chest.
After reading here, I'm beginning to feel that I've gotten off light so far. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I have several friends with stents, and none have had any problems. they all say that they felt better immediately.
I'm certainly glad I found this forum. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.
They do record it. They played back the opening of my vessel several times to show me. This is officially recorded as your latest angiogram for future references. I know in the UK  you can buy copies on CD for a reasonable cost, about £20 I think.
I too experienced these symptoms after a medicated stent was place in my RCA after a heart attack (I'm 48 200 pounds in decent shape, HDL 46, LDL138). Three days after discharge I awoke one night with all the symptoms that something was wrong...spent the night in the hospital and they discharged me after finding nothing. The chest pains continued for weeks...I started reading about the cholesterol drug I was on, Simvastatin. After much research, all statins seemed to affect some type of adverse side effects. One day I had enough...my doctor said my body would adjust, but I was living like any moment I could drop dead. I stopped taking the Simvastatin. Within a day or two, my symptoms all but disappeared...I was elated having finally found the cause. After two weeks I was symptom free and feeling normal...went to see my Cardiologist and informed him I stopped taking the statin...he wasn't pleased and given my LDL was high, suggested I try another cholesterol drug. My father-in-law was recently put on Crestor  and had no side effects, so I gave it a try (10mg). I'm happy to say, I experienced absolutely no side-effects whatsoever and as I write this feel fantastic. I have to add, I walk/run on the treadmill for 30 mins and weight lift for another 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week. Don't let your doctor control your life...ask to change your cholesterol meds until you find the one that works for you...good luck to all.

Jason
I went to the ER because I was having severe pain in my right arm and numbing and burning feeling in my fingers..and after lab work and an EKG they admitted me becaue my enzymes were high and my EKG was abnormal and I also have family history of heart disease.. so the arm was ruled out for heart which the fingers are still numb after 8 days and occasional pain in it..a few days of being in the hospital I was transported to another hospital which specializes in cardio and then they did a heart catherization(which I was awake the whole time) they said they were giving me some meds to relax but that was a joke..I was laying there and all of a sudden I get a splitting headache so I told them and the dr said it was because he just gave me quite a bit of nitros, so the nurse proceeded to rub my head..after a while later I told them that my back was hurting bad so they administered feorinal and then said they were going to give me more relaxing meds..I said make it strong because I haven't relaxed from the first dose..so that was how my procedure was...afterward he tells me and my family that I have a 50% blockage at the opening of the left main and a little further down on the left main on 2 separate sides there is a 20 -30% blockage..he said if I was 82 not getting around he would treat it with meds but because I am only 57 and fairly healthy he suggests a bypass..so I go see the cardio surgeon this Wednesday to see what he has to say and to give him my decision of whether or not I should do the surgery, especially because of the heart disease of my family and for the past 7-8 months I have been very sluggish and tired with some mild chest pain that I pass off as indigestion, and also at night I regurgitate while I am sleeping quite often..I am really scared as to what to do so I was hoping I could get some opinions..thank you to all that took the time to listen to me..

Nancy
I never had pain. I was stented five months ago, RCA 95%. Still no pain but have, irregularly, a week of so with two or three days sick enough to groan when trying to hide it from the family. Intense malaise at diaphram level then moving to stomach and down to gut. In shoulders, maybe upper legs. , head constricted, heavy fatigue.. I've listed the side effects of my meds: lipitor, Coreg, Plavix, aspirin and 100 Levothyroxine for thyroid. Between them, they account for all of my symptoms).. Anyone any idea how to identify which medication(s) is  the culprit? I suspect the Levo and would be very grateful to hear from Lolly and Stripes. I cannot find a thyroid-alert endo where I live.
"More common side effects include headaches, nausea, anxiety, dry mouth, fatigue, insomnia, drowsiness, and dizziness, but these might be temporary"

this is from a serotin -linked medication for hot flashes. But haven't we read this list before?For every medication we ever have to take?
I begin to wish for a doc who will say - if you want to live just take your damn pills and shut up
anyone had the luck? Wha' happen?
I am a 47 year old male with a family history of heart problems, i just had a stent a "Promus 3.0 mm X 18 mm put into my LAD the widow maker artery on 3/31/11 not sure of the blockage %. but it seems with light activity i have slight pains in my chest and left arm. not sure if this is normal to feel pain only few days after stent was put in and will this go away?,
Wow, I had the same stent on the same day, 3/31/2011 Promus 3.5mm x 23mm. 99% blockage in the LAD. Its been 3 days and I am kinda discouraged because I too am having chest pains, shoulder and arm. The Dr said to give it a few days. I was hoping the pains would go away right after the implant. I hope it's just because a foreign object is in my body and needs to adjust. So it seems there are many of us still having some kind of pain after these stents have been used. I wish there was a definitive answer or fix...
I had one put in my LCA for 95% blockage 3 weeks ago. I have the occassional ache on my left side, and occassional aching in the centre. The centre on has only been once though and went away after I ate. The left side ache is more often. Sometimes with a deep breath I get it or if I cough. Its like a jab. Not overly painful, but I feel it.
Fortunately I didn`t have a heart attack, but I did post another question about BP and heart rate if anyone wants to look at it.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Heart-rate-and-BP/show/1495377
i was reading all your posts and feeling your pain for its very hard to get someone who HAS NEVER felt what you are feeeling to understand.
It doesnt matter what the statistics are or what others say, when you have heart disease - any form of it - you live in fear of the next one - or the big one!
every little twing and ache and jaw soreness and shoulder discomfort - gas - cramps or nausea we all think - crap - its my heart - it very well could be -
cause the heart must recoup from the foreign body that was inserted and the time for getting better is so very fickle with all of us. 3 days 3 weeks 3 months
my story is different - first of all i had my stents put in by the best cardiologist in toronto at sunnybrook hospital- in 2002- i had NO PAIN - no aches no nothing all was well for years - 2005 -re angiogram for stent follow up -all is good and the recovery was quick no probs and no limitations.
2010- clot on the stent sent me to hospital in sudury ontario - blockage removed and all is well again - NO pain no ache - no shortness of breath -NOTHING
i wish i could say that all will be well for me from here in - dont know
i wish i could tell you that - getting a dr who knows what he is doing is the key
i wish i could say - weight control - good nutrition and quit smoking will give you 30 more years - but no one can predict whats in store for the next 10 seconds let alone the next 10 weeks- months -years.
i know how it feels when you wake up and you have pain in the shoulder or jaw left and or right arm - how you lay there dreading the reality of what it can be and hating not knowing cause every second can be making a difference -
should i go to the hospital - is it something - is it nothing -
the stress is enough to give you a heart attack -and the fear is crippling.
you make deals with the devil and you sing praises to god if he would just take this away-
you cry for all the lost times ahead and most of the time you are angry
its not that you arent doing all you can - its not that you havent voiced your concern to your docs-its not that you arent taking all your meds - you quit smoking - you exercise- you eat right and still you feel so f-----g rotten you want to just crawl in a warm hole -pull the covers over your head and stay there.
but the reality is you cant - you have a job - or kids -or family - responsibilities -things that have to be done - as well you want to enjoy the years yet to come -
these nagging pains and aches are not allowing you to live -to feel joy
and that is the reason we are bitchin about this dam thing - we dont want to feel like this and it seems that nobody is listening - no body is giving us any suggestions as to what to do -where to go - who to see -no one cares if we suffer in small ways or big ways - saying its all in your head means i dont give a **** and i am much to busy to care one way or the other -
everyone we love and we complain to wants us to do something and get results and do something - but we dont know what to do-
you have heard the old saying - god helps those who help themselves -
terrile paraphrasing i know but you get the drift
so here what i suggest for all of us who
dont know where to turn and
who to go to-and what to do
first- take charge of yourself -you have heart disese (disease) for many reasons - some were under your control others not but either way genetic - heredity or gluttony
take control of you -right here - right now - this is my idea for may 1st 2011
i will give you the rest of april to get your act together and then you start
sandys plan -----
1) weight -for all of us carrying to much weight - loose it -make a plan - stick to it - go get diet help - speak to a nutritionalist -what ever - jenny craig it or weight watchers - do something about your weight today - many good side effects from this one - feel better - look better - more energy - more sex - hahah
2)food-the more you learn about whats good for you the more you KNOW whats bad - read read read - really get into nutrition - its fascination how food plays against other foods and changing a few meal choices can make you so much wholler - yeah thats a terrible worb but i mean that you will feel like a million bucks cause you are now in control- eat bananas for potassium - salads for nutrients and good carbs - fish for omega and all the oils good for you substitute bad **** for good **** and along the way to eating better you will loose weight and feel great- a terrific web site is caloriecount.about .com
its free and easy - you put in your food and it tells you what the count is -
you add your activity and it gives you calories burnt for raking leaves and watching tv - doing dishes and playing with grandchildren - put in you weight tell them your goal weight and watch the graph change daily and it keeps tabs of how far you have to go to reach your goal - there are tips and cool stuff
thats basically what i use - the food counter the exercise counter and the graph.
3)smoking-if you smoke - QUIT- anyway you can - right now - good side effects- feel better - smell better - breathe better - more energy- more sex hahahaha
i have a program that is pain less and pillless and has no side effects -
contact me if you are interested in this at all-this is not why i posted but it will for sure help you and it is very cheap - just my time - s bailey @ true802. ca
3) exercise -everyone says i should start - i will start - i am starting - but they dont - they mean to but they dont - they want to but they dont -they should -dont
this is the easiest way to start exercising - go for a walk -
you can do it anywhere - anytime - alone with a buddy -with a dog-
take along music OR in stillness and quiet solitude - talk with god
talk with yourself - pour out your heart to you -i gaurentee you will fell better
start real slow and easy - no big deal - a little walk down the road -
1-5 minutes out and 5 minutes back - thats it - nice and slow - steady and easy and if thats all you can do then do it -choose the times yourself -maybe every hour -every day -every week -just do it for the rest of your long life - if you can go more do that too
2- 10 minutes out and 10 minutes back as often as you like during the day - once a day - once every 3 days -i dont care - its your life you choose
3-15 minutes out 15 minutes back - you never have to change the distance if you dont want to -just the speed
15 minutes slow walk with nice easy stride out and in ---is great
15 minutes speed walking with arms pumping and legs smacking the pavement while you breathe and smile for your accomplishment ---is great

WALKING  is enpowering- to be out on the street walking and seeing the sights- listening to the birds - taking big breaths of fresh cool air and feeling alive and very content - vibrant and in control - doing something!!!!!!!!!!!
I PROMISE YOU-
ONCE YOU START YOU WILL BE A WALKING FANATIC -its addictive !!!!!!!
great web site -
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/lose-weight-walking-0603

sorry continuation of first comment - over the 8000 limit -

now if you do all of these things it will improve your quality of life
you will feel in control and you will be powerful
you will loose weight - feel better - know SO much - quit smoking and no longer be the person you are as you read this right now -
but more important ------

you can go to the doctor or the hospital and say this is what i have done to improve my chances of living a long and good quality of life -
i am still experiencing
( name your symptoms -or tell them what the problem is ) -
what are you going to do to help
---see at this stage he cant say -well loose weight - or get some exercise - or eat better - cause you have done everything that is possible within your control to make you better - he will be very proud of your efforts and he will see that you are very serious about your heart disease and then you and your medical team -who ever that may invovle will take you seriously -
cause it aint all in your head-and just maybe there is something they can do -
whether that means adjust meds - or a bypass - or whatever -

but on the way to their total participation in your complete good health you would have been a willing participator as well - and that my friends -
is well worth the journey -
good luck - good health - you are in my prayers .
An excellent thread, and for those who resolve their pain please make sure to come back and let us know.
I had another heart attack and there were 2 blockages in my Obtuse marginals over 90%. The stenting was very successful but oddly I felt very strong throat discomfort and chest pains for over three weeks after the procedure. Perhaps the sudden new oxygen level also causes discomfort? Due to the blockages, I had lost my collateral feeds into the distal LAD and the cardiologist expanded my marginals much more than they usually would be, to encourage new collateral formation. I really thought the procedure had failed due to the discomfort. Now, I seem to be a new person. I'm no longer on blood pressure medication and feel like new. I walk to my shops every day which involves very steep hills, and feel no problems (1.5 miles each way). I think new collaterals are continuing to form.
Interestingly, I did ask my cardiologist an interesting question. "If collaterals are expected to be encouraged, shouldn't we exercise THROUGH the discomfort because if there is no discomfort, then the heart probably doesn't realise there is a requirement for more feeds".
He replied "no Doctor will ever encourage you to do this, BUT, and I didn't say this, you are probably correct. Many collaterals form at the time of an MI and this shows things have to be dire in the heart before they form in many patients."
In effect this is how EECP works, except it does it without you having to do the exercise. It increases the pressure in the coronary arteries, tricking it into forming collaterals. When I walked to my shops after surgery, the discomforts were frightening but I just carried on. I am NOT encouraging people to do this, but I'm simply saying it seems to have worked for me and perhaps it's a way for Doctors to think, rather than just throwing beta blockers etc at patients which will not help in collateral growth. In fact, these meds will make it more unlikely. Another thing to consider is blood pressure. Many patients with blockages have high blood pressure and the first thing Doctors do is get it lowered. What if this is a normal function in the body to encourage collateral growth? My blood pressure is normal for the first time in 40 years and maybe it was high trying to encourage my heart to adapt. If we keep interfering with counteracting meds, are we fighting a system put into place by nature?
i totally agree- i realize that there is alot of meds and operations and stents and all that new fangdagled stuff for those that need it but i also think the body is a marvelous machine
and i am always in awe how the actual working of the entire body proves beyond a doubt that there is a higher being - entity - god - whatever you want to call him /her - for example
my daughter is about to give birth in the next 24 hours - that baby in her which was the size of a speck of sand at one time is now 7 or 8 pounds and is alive inside her via the umbilical cord
but have you ever wondered why dont they drown in all that fliud - they have 2 lungs that have to work perfectly the minute they are born so why arent the little rug rats breathing inside ?
for nine months with all the nutrients and food and good stuff coming to him /her through the cord - why isnt the baby swimming in his /her own refuse - how can you think of this and not know that this didnt happen by an explosion in the sky and all of a sudden all living animals can give birth - raise young - keep the safe and warm - send them off in the world to begin agan
the same is for our health - we have the flight or fight instinct - our skin heals itself from small incisions - we grow new skin and make new cells every sec of every day of every week for our entire life thats 70 some odd frggin years - why do that - whats the reason to try to heal ?
when kids get sick they get better - of course there are the exceptions im not talking about meningitis or cancer i am talking about the every day cold sand coughs and hurts and scrapes
so many bones in the body arent reset or casted to mend and they get back in alignment and grow and all is well with out any intervention -
we as a society have done this too ourselves - we eat too much of the wrong stuff -too often and havent paid any attention to our bodies need - the next generation will be so much more aware of there bodies that this time that we are all going through right now is there teaching ground of what not to do - before there was cars there was walking and work - before the revelution of industry - woman stayed home and men busted their ***** to put food on the table -
now dont go all frig ging femanist on me - i am just saying that kids had moms and boys had baseball and girls had fairies and dance shoes and barbies and there was joy and laughter and a unit and a bond that is hardly seen today - a cohesive family unit -loving and helpful
how can you be a mother and not KNOW  where your kid is and what he is doing - unheard of
when my mom wanted me she used to yell out the door and i would come in from playing on my safe street with my white and black friends as we played for hours -kick the can - and red rover and on the swings and hide and seek - a child never went hungry on my block unheard of -
if somebody even tried to raise a hand to a child the neighbours would beat the **** out of him and he wouldnt try it again - schools gave a dam about there charges because they thought they were RESPONSIBLE for them when on school property - bullying - unheard of
maybe a simpler life but a more loving life and one i wish my grand kids could know- unheard of

so basically what i am trying to say is we can alter our lives - we are the only ones who can -
like you said what if /collatterals - what if /blood pressure - what if /protein in your urine -what if?

i love to yak as you can all tell hahaha- and i wish that all of you could have the focus and determination that i have to not be a statistic - i wish i could bring you all to my house and we could all go back to the simple times when i would cook for you and you would do my dishes and our kids could play and all we would share would be  love of life - i wish - sandy

I agree with what you say except the problem with society to some extent. I don't personally believe it's the food we eat. I looked up the fattest people on the planet, expecting to find their coronary arteries are clogged, but in actual fact, they are in better condition than my own.
However, I do believe society has developed in such a way that stress levels are far too high. We are not designed to handle all that stress. We have no rights in our careers, we can basically be given any excuse to lose jobs, we can lose our homes in a moments notice, we have no security in anything any more.
I've met many patients who have never smoked, always been fit, have normal blood pressure, have lower than average cholesterol and yet have heart disease. They had all however been through recent stressful times.
i had  2 stents 90% blocked its been two month now had no pain in chest.. what i do find  if i do to much my legs go like jelly and i cant walk far and feel really drained. the blood clot drug i find my gums feel sore.. plus my voice gose very low and i feel like i need more air. but some days i feel fine.. its the days i dont! i feel like ****.. ive never took beater blookers has i have problems with breathing so im not taking them dont care what the hospital says. antone else feel the same.. email ***@****
i had three stents put in after angina attacks
i was put on plavix, asa ,water pill, candestarten ,metoprolol and lipitor
i quit the lipitor with my docs ok if collesterol does not rise which made me very happy as lilitor almost destroyed my wife.she was on lipitor for high collesteol  for three years and went thu extreme muscle pain and loss of memory.
after quitting lipitor she had a full recovery after three months. i have talked to a few friends who were also on lipitor and experienced problems which dissapeared after changing to crestor. perhaps this could help your sityation as well

gord

gord
Side effects with Lipitor are rare. I've been on Lipitor since Feb 2007 with no issues. It is a very strong Statin and I believe Doctors sometimes seem to forget this and give a dose higher than really needed. I am on 40mg which I tolerate well, but you can go up to 80, which I would be afraid to do. With most people I think 20mg would be sufficient because 40 is powerful enough to handle my familial hypercholesterolemia.
My total cholesterol serum was 375mg/dl before Lipitor, now it is 145-146mg/dl. My blood must have been like a fatty soup.
My lipid level was within the recommended range (hovered around 150 for years, but there were recent recommendations by the medical community to lower cholesterol levels to below 100.  My doctor prescribed a statin and a blood essay indicated the marker for the liver disease rose significantly.  I stopped the medication and the doctor made no comment and advised me to a primary care doctor.  I haven't made an appointment yet and it is going on 6 months...but I will make an appointment this month for a followup.

I'll take the risk of my former cholesteral levels against a risk the doctors claim happens with a cholesterol above 100.  My cardiologist lost some credibility with me as I believe he was unduly influenced by commercialism.

I have just read over the last 2 years posts.  No one has said anything other than this stinks.  2 Months ago I felt great; ate anything I wanted and as much as I wanted my whole life (50 years).  I went for my first physical and thats when I got the news.  90% blockage in LAD and 75% RCA.  I now have 3 stents and take Lipitor asprin and Plavix.  I really don't have any pain to complain of and seem normal enough.  But  I rally need some help here.  I smoked for 40 years and still do.  I always thought I would have a heart attack and not survive.  it never really bothered me until now.  Not knowing made it easy to not care.  I often think how will my life be if I have to give up everything I like.  I am asking all of you how you overcame the initial shock and ended up committing to  yourself.  I have not been able to get there yet.  I do have wife and older kids.  That is not going to help me.  I always found if I didnt do something for my own reasons I never committed.
I am 50. 95% LCA, 100%RCA which bypassed itself. 1 stent in LCA. Plavix, Asprin, Crestor and Altace 10mg.
I had to make a decision if I wanted it to work and live. Or continue on and die. I took a month off work when I got it done, atended the gym every day and went 1/2 hour on elliptical machine or Crossramp. Now I go whenever I can as I am back to work. I bought a montain bike and ride it when I can, or walk a mile or 2. I also lift weights, had a trainer fior a month. Also coach my grandsons baseball team. Have lost 50 pounds, and haven't had a cigarette since March 1 2011.  Chew no name nicorette 4 mg 2 at a time all day.  I have basically stopped eating much fat, red meat about once a week, changed my diet, try to buy food low in salt, use a bit of nosalt as a sub, lots of leaves and vegies and apples.
But I feel good and feel like God gave me a second chance. We are both fortunate no heart attack.
Make the decision and don't look back.
I found it quite easy. I simply said to myself "well the only guarantee of life, is death. We don't know when that day will be, and I don't intend pondering on such things. Live for the moment and let tomorrow bring its own problems. I can do many things to improve (medication/ intervention/ healthy lifestyle/ less stress etc) but millions of people are walking around with the disease unknowingly".  So just be blunt with yourself and accept it. Four years ago my LAD was totally blocked, my LCX had a big lesion and my RCA was blocked half way down. In those four years my RCA has developed lots of natural bypasses, my LCX has been opened and so has my LAD. I now have no limitations with exercise and feel great. It has taken 8 stents to get there, but going from hospital to hospital to find a cardiologist with enough experience to clear my blockages was a very interesting journey.
Thank you for your replys.  They have helped me put this into perspective.  I feel pretty alone.  Bill, I chew on an E cigarette all day, but don't think that counts for no smoking.  Nicotine is the problem I think.  My family does not think this is a big deal.  I was ridiculed for not eating what was cooked tonight (Brats with sour cream sauce).  If I do this it will be on my own.  I think it is worth my time; just very hard with no support from the family.  Thanks again.
at age 59 I had my first stent(LAD 99%blocked) on 02 aug 2011after my thalium test results.
Doc said i was very lucky not have an Heart attack.

I feel fine now but i do have some concern regarding pain in my right arm through which the catheter was inserted. my doc says that it is a reffered shoulder pain and not related to the procedure of angio.

Initially i also felt discomfort and pinching in my chest but now it has nearly gone. i brisk walk 40 minutes 05 days a week and feel good.

i am taking plavix,aletonol,ascard,cardnit and rovesta.

good luck to all and be+:)
i know wat you mean but i had blood clot a few years ago what a nightmare ask doc about changing  meds i had 3 stents in lad one month ago and still have twinges that stop me in my tracks cardiologist said they were probably there b4 all this happened and that i should how to tell twinge from anything serious but my friend i am not pushing drugs on you but those blood thinners can stop some really scary **** i had pulmonary embolii almost got me at 27 have been very aware for the last 23 years see your doc he can probably find you something  with less side effects
Had two stents placed (both OM2) for 100% blockage in both.  I have another artery that runs across the front of the heart  with 80% blockage and the doctor will not stent it!  He says studies show stents do no good until artery is 100% closed.  This doesn't make sense to me, but I'm dealing with the VA!
What should I do?  I've talked to everyone but the director of the facility.
I had a stent put in my RCA nearly one year ago; 53 years old, female, non-smoker, 25 lbs. overweight, no diabetes, family history of heart disease (which I attributed to smoking, but perhaps it was genetics too, since I don't smoke).  Had mild pangs and pains but mostly OK. Then about 6 months, later, I had a rapid-onset "episode" of pain in chest, quickly moving up neck to jaw tightness and spasms, with severe nausea, muscle weakness, tremors and eventually a fully-locked jaw. I could breathe and talk through clenched teeth. Was going to go to hospital, but it passed after about 30 minutes. It was a terrifying ordeal, but I did not think it was my heart.  I was taking Benicar, Effient, Norvasc, Coreg, Simvastatin, aspirin.  A month later, I started noticing periods of extreme weakness in my left arm and sometimes in my calf muscles. At the same time, they issued a warning about statin drugs causing irreparable muscle damage in some patients. I stopped the Simvastatin and had no more symptoms or "episodes". Three months later, I had a cholesterol test that had triglicerides (triglycerides) over 400! The Doctor was angry and insisted I start back on Simvastatin or "die at any moment"; so I did.  Two weeks after re-starting the Simvastatin, I went for a walk and had another "episode" and the muscle spasms and involuntary twitching were much worse. My legs moved as though I had palsy and I was twitching elsewhere like a person with Parkinson's Disease. I was able to still breathe, but I felt that my airway and heart were also in spasm and at risk. I went to the hospital and was admitted. My symptoms were immediately alleviated with a nitro patch and oxygen. I also felt inebriated when I arrived at the hospital (although I had not had a drink in over a week).  I was trapped there for a few days while they ran plenty of heart tests. I told them from the beginning that I did not think the "episode" was caused by heart, but that was the ONLY thing the cardiac care unit was interested in.  I could not get my family physician or any other medical professional to consider or look for an alternate cause. I passed a heart stress test, and other cardiac tests and ultrasounds with flying colors. I left there with a lot of bills but no answers; just a determination to replace all my medical caregivers as soon as possible.  Anyway, I quit the Simvastatin immediately and have not had a re-occurance of symptoms, although it took a week or two for my jaw muscles to relax and stop having tremors.  I think my face shape changed slightly due to muscles tightening in my face. Whenever I used to take my nightly Simvastatin, my partner could see a line on both my cheeks where my jaw muscles were contracting. It was creepy.  I don't know what the future holds, but I am determined to wean myself off as many drugs as possible, realizing that I must do my part to improve my diet (which is already pretty good and I've lost 20 lbs) and exercise.  I am going to start seeing all new doctors this week (a G.P., a neurologist and an "alternative" cardiologist).  After sharing my tale with my former cardiologist and seeing NO response from them to my "textbook" symptoms of statin muscle damage, I realize that they do not care about my health one iota.  Go with your guts and your instinct if your doctors are clearly not interested in helping you.
I wish the best to all of you and hope that stem cell research is allowed to progress so that we can re-grow new tissue to offset damage and live longer. I also HIGHLY recommend learning a few simple biofeedback techniques to manage stress and to keep your health incidents from becoming exacerbated by fear when they occur.
Scared to death. I am under extreme stress at work (tv news reporter), personally (mother dying of cancer) & physically (recently had skin cancer). A month ago I started having "episodes" of severe chest pain, dizziness, sweating upon exertion that would last 10 minutes or so. Went to primary care doc...EKC came back "abonormal" and she sent me to the ER. They did an EKG (which they said "wasn't that bad" and left me to wait in the waiting room for about an hour. Blood work, chest x-ray and echocardiogram all came back "normal". They discharged me saying it wasn't a cardiac episode. 2 weeks later, I had a severe "episode" and went back to the primary doc. Another EKG at her office was way worse than the one 2 weeks before. She sent me back to the ER. This time their EKG also showed up as very bad....they rushed me into cardiac catherization. Dr. now said I had an 80% blockage in my left main artery. He booked an OR and was ready to do open heart surgery but he said I have some condition only 7 or 8% of people have with my arteries and that because of that he was able to stent the blockage instead. Hospitalized for 2 days afterwards....blood tests came back mostly normal except for slightly elevated white count, they did another EKG which was slightly abnormal but improved over the really bad one and another echocardiogram which they said was "Great" and they discharged me. I felt fine the 2 days I was laying in the hospital bed but since coming home I've had tightness in my chest (in the middle) and some slight pains on and off along with slight light headness, minor nausea & occassional heart racing (getting my period in the middle of all this hasn't helped either!) They put me on all kinds of meds (Plavix, Diovan, Metoprolol, Simvastatin, Tricor, Aspirin, Nitroglycerin and Zanax). I feel awful. Scared to death not knowing if the tightness and pain are a heart attack or just an aftermath of the stenting, the new drugs, all my body has been through, etc. Since I've just been out of the hospital for 2 days, my arms are brusied all over from all the IV insertion "attempts" (8 in all!) and blood draws and my groin is bruised and sore from the procedure. I just can't hardly bring myself to go back to the ER for a 3rd time. Nitro tablets help spme but not for very long. Same thing with the Zanax. I'm sure I'm very anxious and my fear isn't helping anything. Want to take a sleeping pill but afraid I won't wake up. Don't understand how they could clear me to come home and I'm having all this trouble. Not sure what is normal or not. I'm 46 years old and have had high cholesterol and high blood pressure (sorta off and on) for years but other than that was in relatively good health until all this happened.  
I  am 57 yrs and just had my 25th sent Nov 3 2011.  Seems like every time I come home I experiance things.  I am not a Dr. but I do know that I have spasms, some time chest pressure and of course I think Iam starting to plug up again.  Our mind can play some head trips on us, but than again it could be real.  I always wait for two weeks (that's me) to see my cardiologist.  I also have lot of drugs and it takes a while to find your fit. You just started taking alot of new stuff, I know your going thru alot stress that can also be causing the pressure.  I know ER is not a fun place to be, but it might be the best place to be.  Wish you the best!  
Most helpful I have read so far, but I haven't yet read all posts.
Really, really, great thread.

Had two drug eluting stents placed in RCA three days ago.  An 80% and a 90% blockage.  Allegedly. They put me on Effient and aspirin.  Rested on day one.  Twinges off and on.  Worked on day two - ran up some stairs felt chest pain, weak, dizzy.  Went to doc's office.  Told them the problem.  The nurse seemed irritated I was there.  Said I could wait for an EKG but it would be a long time. Waited two hours, felt a little better, and left without seeing anyone, and no EKG.

Today (third day) long pulsating twinges of pain all morning.  After lunch said eff it, this is football day (I'm a Bama fan), and popped a cold one.  Pain and twinges immediately went away.  Haven't come back.  I'm about four beers in, so far.  Maybe five.  Feel perfectly normal.  

I'm 72.

I think I'll be fine if I can get through a year of Effient without dying of a stroke.

Never had a heart attack.  Had chemical stress test (dye and so forth) and they said there was an area in the back of my heart that looked a little abnormal, but they weren't sure, so they wanted to do exploratory heart cath to check it out, and if they saw anything wrong they would fix it.  So I said OK.

But guess what.  I got two stents in my RCA (where the dye stress test showed nothing wrong)  and was told I have a 40% blockage in a third something on the back side (as indicated by the dye stress test) that they didn't touch, because only 40% blockage does not justify a stent.

So right now I have two stents that will deprive my heart from feeling the necessity for growing its own collateral bypass vessels, and am stuck on Effient for a year, which comes with numerous opportunities to kill or disable me, some of which (stroke) are most unpleasant to contemplate.

But oh well.  72 is a little too long to hang around this miserable Fox News-contaminated universe, anyway.

TAX THE RICH !!!!

RTR
I am a registered nurse but I missed my husbands first MI, when his chest became moist and his breathing difficult we both thought he had taken pneumonia again, thankfully when the Doc arrived she recognised the symptoms and called the ambulance. In the last eighteen months he has had five silent MI's and has three stents in situ.
My husband has never had any pain with his MI's and this makes it difficult to recognise, I have had to fight with ambulance paramedics to get them to believe that my husband was having an MI and insist that they do an ECG. Only after the ECG did they realise the seriousness of the situation and take him to hospital, where even there the nurses took very little notice when he became extremely breathless, only to find that he had had another MI when the results from arterial bloods were returned. I feel more should be done to make people aware of silent MI's, including hospital staff, I gave the nurses the symptoms I recognised as being significant but they laughed at me. Even now my husband finds it difficult to recognise angina attacks and relys on me to encourage him to take his GTN.
Please, please, please tell someone when you don't feel good, it's the only way they can learn to recognise your symptoms so that they can get help for you in an emergency!  I know it sounds daft but I now know when my husband is not so well by the colour of his nose and ears!
never said it was, but constant pain doesn't do much either.  I'd rather have no pain than whatever it is you're talking about.
Hi SteveFlorida,

Could you please list the link for this info "The Texas/Chicago study is on web. It involved 11 major hospitals and thousands of cases. Read it."

I cannot find it.

I have severe stabbing pain that wakes me up from a deep sleep.  This started happening after my stent implantation and it's on my left side.  I believe it may be an artery spasm caused by irritation to the epithelium tissue where my stent was deployed with excessive stretch.  I've had the stent for 2 years and up until recently the pain is only getting worse. It seems to have leveled off over the past month. At least it's not continuing to increase.  I guess I should be grateful.  I do not have pain when I exercise.  The docs don't know why I'm having this pain. It's so scarry and bad I cannot get back to sleep. This never happened before having the stent.  When my doc told me about what to expect and possible problems, this type of pain was never mentioned.  When I talk to my docs now, they seem to have never heard of such a response.  

Here's a place to report: FDA Consumer Adverse Drug and Medical Device Effects:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/HowToReport/ucm053074.htm

If they're not reported, the FDA assumes their fine. So, it's important to report major problems.  Docs report side effects in a different place.

Something that seems to decreased the number of times and severity of occurrence for me is a combination of tumeric and nattokinase. This also makes me think the pain may be related to inflamation (inflammation). You've probably already tried this.  

I'm sleep deprived. I use to be very active and was vegetarian.  

If I had to do it again, I would have plain angioplasty as opposed instead of a stent.  I am truly sorry I did not know about the side effect of severe pain after stenting.  

Can't they do a right carotid endarterectomy?
My husband got 2 stents place in Oct 2010. Was told to come back in 3 weeks for a 3rd stent. Stents do not rid the problem. We both went on vegan diet and all his numbers improved. He lost 25 pounds and no 3rd stent required. Go vegan. It's the best for your health and the future of our planet.
I had a stent  fitted two months ago , and now i suffer from a very bad belly and i have pains in sternam and ribs ,doctors seem to think this is a different problem , plus i have been breathless. could this be the drugs , omeprazole,asprin ,atorvastatin,bisoprolol,rampril,clopidogrel,
How long ago did you start your medications?
Do you get the symptoms at any time, or just when exerting yourself?
Ramipril gave me those same symptoms, but that could be coincidence and I was taken off it. I'm not sure why you are on omeprazole? do you have a stomach ulcer? Some Doctors prescribe it when you are on Aspirin but you can get gastric resistant Aspirin pills which are kind to the stomach. Clopidogrel can cause shortness of breath in some people, but if these problems have only just started after 2 months, I doubt if it's the problem. I remember last year when put onto Ramipril, the chest and stomach pains were quite bad. My Doctor found it strange but within 24 hours of stopping the medication, the pains vanished.
I had two stents put in 2 weeks ago today  ( Jan 2012) this was because I was experiencing chest pain and breathless when walking uphill. I am 66 in March..
I was cleared in Nov after tests then got a call to go to hospital Jan 2nd!!! They did the caterisation thing and found I had a twisted artery ! the pain was unbelievable during the latter half of the procedure  which normally takes 20 mins, I was there for over 2 hours...I just wanted to die and they eventually gave me morphine. Sent me home next day, and 6 days later same chest pains, went to my Dr who sent me to A and E where they did tests for 3 days then sent me home as tests proved all was working ok.
I live in Spain and language. can be a problem. I have still slight pain but went for a walk today with my dogs and feel a bit better. On similar meds to thin the blood, BP and high cholesterol....nice in a way to know I am not the only one suffering. I intend to watch my diet and exercise, always have been fit in the past. Good luck to you all
I have been taking all this right after i had the stent fitted . the omeprazole i have allways taken because years of indegestion . and yes your right the pain is bad after hard work .Thanks for the help i might ask doctor about the ramipril and clopidogrel . i need to do something soon , take care
51 yo, started dieting and excersice program in May 2011, lost 40 lbs, so far and have felt great. I started to feel tightness in my chest while working out. Blew it off for a month then went for stress test and failed. I had a 95 and 85 blockage in my two main atreries and got stents on 12.22.11. started working out after a week and a half and felt like superman, worked and pressed myself. got heart rate up to 159 at one point. on 1.9.12 felt pain again thought it was my pushing myself but the pain continued. on 1.18.12 ended up with two more stents.
Hi Steve, it's good to see how seriously you are taking your exercise. What about the other risk factors, because they all go hand in hand. Do you suffer with lots of emotional stress for example, either at home or at work. Stress plays a huge role in cardiac disease. Other things include too much alcohol, or smoking. A healthy diet is also important, especially lots of veggies and low salt/fats. Something else to consider is blood pressure. If high for long periods of time it can cause tiny fissures in the arteries, allowing cells to get trapped and form atherosclerosis. I can't emphasise the stress part enough. I continually formed blockages but I believed I was the laid back type of guy always joking around. When I saw a relaxation therapist, she said I was one of the most stressed patients she has ever come across.
Me too Having similar pain Mr. Jeff. What I have to do??. I am male 42. I got stent procedure done in Jan 2012.
I had one stent placed on December 6, 2011- about 2 months ago.(I'm 45/f)  I am on a beta blocker and aspirin daily, plus effient.  I, too have chest, shoulder blade pain daily.  My doctor said that everything looks good, but I do not feel good.  Pain upon exercise, even walking is not ok.  We have stairs which I have to climb quite a few time a day, and the pain scares me.  I do not understand it-sometimes it feels like my arteries are aching...
Sue
I am a 33 year old female. Had open heart surgery six years ago..replaced my pulmonary valve. Surgery went well  the past two years have had five Stents put in..first time around was a stent put in what they called the widow maker(99% blocked),and the other open placed in my acute mirginal...this past fall they restented my widow maker and put two Stents in my obtuse marginal. The Dr just told me my arteries are closing up again....bypass is coming. They have me on 21 different meds...they cannot control my bp....every sense they put those Stents in me I have not been myself...shortness of breath, chest pains, confused....just wondering if anyone has experienced this.....
You are definitely not alone Toby, I had a heart attack 3 weeks ago, I'm 48 and gradually being allowed to lift heavy pans etc! I keep getting intermittent pains and I start to panic that things are kicking off again but they say it's down to Anxiety, which it may well be, but like you, it's very reassuring to know that you're not feeling totally paranoid on your own!! I hope things improve for you soon, take it easy and have the comfort that you're not alone x
Respect to labor
Haber
Hey Ranger, I had a stent inserted 5 weeks ago, I'm 48, and I don't think I've had a pain free day yet............ I still have chest pain, although I received some acid tablets and I have to admit it has eased it off but by no means dispersed of it totally.  I have constant pain at the top of my left arm, it's very tender and sore and can prevent sleep at times, I'm totally shattered all the time and feel totally useless.  I start cardiac rehab next week and I've been trying to do the treadmill at home however it's quite scary when you start to feel a little chest pain........... please don't feel alone, this process is scary for everyone but we have each other to see us through it.......... take care x
Hi Toby,

I've recently had a stent inserted (5 weeks ago), I'm 48......... can't say the insertion of the Stent hurt but I do feel the procedure they put you through generates pain and takes a while for it to settle, that's 5 weeks now and I still ache....... I'm gradually building up 10 mins on the treadmill however about an hour after it I'm exhausted and sleep for around 2 hours!! Your life completely turns upside down when you have heart problems, you go from being totally independent, full time working, mother, partner etc to almost dog like, eg: reliant on people to help you with things you would never have dreamt of asking for help for before.......... all I can say is hang in there and stick with the forum, I find it very reassuring that I'm not a hypochondriac and the pains and symptoms I actually have are real!! take care x
Hi yrr.......... I had a stent inserted 5 weeks ago.  It was inserted on the 9th Feb, I got home on the 13th Feb and I was readmitted on the 13th Feb because I thought i was having another heart attack.  The fact was, I was having a massive panic attack at the thought of being at home and having no medical support! I ended up being given diazepam, relaxation tablets, which I have to admit made a huge difference and helped me put things into perspective........... heart attacks are no laughing matter, I'm only 48, but at any age they scare the proverbial out of you and turn your life upside down........... what I'm saying is that it's OK to be scared, anxious, childlike, it's normal......... keep up your relaxation techniques, and listen to what your wife says, us females always know best lol........ take very good care xx
I was told that by my cardiologist -- "do what I tell you are just go home."
This said while Iaying on the cath table after an angio look around.
100% blockage of a stent put in in 2007 (it was Dec 2011 that I lay there again for restenting). I was told not to get drug-eluting stents because I have so many drug allergies and reactions.  
It's 4 months later.  I get dizziness, chest "twitches", and some nights am bothered by chest pressure  -- I am fearful of leaving the house because of the side effects I am having to Effient.

And that, dear oldie, is what you get when a doc tells you to 'take it or leave'.  I've been having problems with palps for 4 days and do not want to see that cardio again!  Seeing primary tomorrow and will get name of cardio he recommends.

Ahhhhh ... I'm sure we'll all be fine ... A New Norm, but fine.

AnotherOldie
72, eh, Sam?  And this is your first heart mishap?  Must say, that's doing very well!!

All the crude you went through -- sorry about all the mistakes.  I've been getting a lot of those lately ... but ER is ER (sorry to all the med profession, but you know, too, that we don't get the treatment we should all the time.).

Very interesting life you're going through now ... running up the stairs the day or 2 after you're home from stenting :)  I have fibromyalgia -- takes me 3 months to start to feel near normal.

I do hope, though, that you make it on the Effient.  Two other stent times, I was placed on Plavix -- allergic reaction -- the second time a real near-killer (bleeding in the brain).

Four months on Effient after restenting of second stenting in the LAD... feel lousy --

So here's hoping we make it WELL through the year!!

AnotherOldie
thank you for your post i believe that is the pain im feeling like an old injury pain though sometimes it is releaved when i burp so yes imm hopefull that it is nerves reminding me what was up
I had a heart attack on April 13 2011 I was on my way back to Miami from a boat cruise. I had a 90% blockage and heart damage,they put a stent
and my blood flow to the heart is 35% I was in the hospital for one month.
I fell pretty good my energy is sometimes low. My questions is I have this poking sensation on my left side on my rib cage, sometimes it burns and stings I've been to see my cardiologist and can't seem to find the problem.
If I lay on my left side I can feel it also if I work with my arms it stings.
Does anyone have this sensation or is this the way it's supposed to feel after having a stent. On the boat they gave me 13 shots of defibrillator to revive me could it be the pressure they used  they took a xray to make sure my rib wasn't cracked. Please let me know if anyone has this weird sensation after a stent.
Denis  
I had a heart transplant 14 years ago at age 29.
I became stressed and depressed 10 years post transplant so a psychiatrist started me on Lexapro 20mg per day.  
My new heart was 100% perfect the year before I started taking Lexapro.
I started to have chest pain and felt like I was having a heart attack one day so I made an appointment with my cardiologist and he said "I am 100% certain you have nothing wrong with your heart."  He said he would do a heart catheterization on me in two years and then I wouldn't have to have one for 10 years!  Well, my cath came back awful.  Four arteries 100% blocked; the doctors don't even know how my heart was getting proper blood.  They assumed my heart made new pathways to create blood flow.  So, two weeks after this cath I had 4 stents put in my heart.  I too have chest pain everyday now for the last 10 days.  
I would  like to know if any of you had been taking Lexapro (Escitalopram) before you had a heart attack or heart problems?  
Thank you for your help and I hope and pray we all can help each other  learn from one another to help us convince our doctors that what we are experiencing and have experienced is real; not in our "minds."
I had a 70% blockage in RCA, when inserting a Xience stent, artery was disected and I needed a second stent. 14 months later, I have pain in my chest and left arm every day. had another angiogram, was told everything was open and working, CT scan, Nuclear stress test. Told its not my heart.
was very athletic and cardio before 14 months ago. have been to several cardiologists and they all say there is nothing wrong. Yet I have chest pain and pain in left arm from walking or just sitting still. So frustrated and dont know who to turn to. cardilogist sent me to neurologist for Neck MRI, looking for a pinched nerve- negative. Next step is to be tested for allergy as apparently they are nickel coated and some people are allegic. Looking for answers , help?
Perhaps it's your medication. Have they got you on beta blockers? If so, your brand may be causing chest pains etc, they can even cause shortness of breath. Medication is always a good place to start.
Protocol for artery stenting is the artery has be closed  70% or more.  Had LAD 90% closure stented in 2002; 10 years later there is a 10% build-up at the stent site.  The rest of my arteries have neglible placque (less than 1%).  

For those taking Lipitor, side effects can cause deceased cognitive ability - not able to think clearly, tiredness and depression.  You must be your own advocate when it comes to medicines and your health.  If you don't trust your doctor or what he says, continue changing doctors until you find the right doctor for your body.

Your body is your living car.  (heart= engine; eyes=headlights; etc.)  If you don't like the car mechanic's work, you change mechanics.  Why would you settle for less for your body parts?

I couldn't agree more. There are too many Doctors who don't seem to listen to what you're saying. In the last 5 years I've changed Doctors twice, tomorrow I will be trying another one.
Had 100% block on widow maker on April 7th.  Had stent put in.  They did another catheriztion a month later and said that I look great.  Pain has never left. Suffer pain in both sides of chest but mainly on left lower side.  Have chronic back pain.  When I lay down, I feel a heaviness in my chest.  I eat nitro like candy.  There is not a day that goes by that I do not wonder if it is normal or I am having another heart attack.
If Nitro makes the pain go away, then I would go to the hospital and have some tests. A simple blood test will evaluate if it's heart attack and because you've had the pains for so long, you won't need to wait the usual 12 hours first.
Everyone, please read "Reverse Heart Disease Now" by Stephen T. Sinatra MD, James C. Roberts.  I think everyone can definitely benefit from this book.

Good Luck, I feel for you all.
Stephen T. Sinatra ? isn't he the guy who said back in 2009 "the greatest threat to health in this millennia, without a doubt, is wireless technology".
Steve
I tried to copy the link to read the article you referred to, but there seems to be a problem with it. I was researching  "pain after stint" because my mother, who is 83, just had a stint placed yesterday and almost as soon as she got to her room after the surgery, she had jaw pain that radiated down her arm. 'just trying to find out if this is "normal" or expected after stint placement.

MicheleFlorida
You should call the angio centre where they did the stent and explain the symptoms. There is always a possibility that the stent has collapsed. It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Hi,  I'm 3 weeks in from stent proceedure one, 99 blk in the Circumflex.  I had an allergic reaction to the dye,  so they did stent two 89 blk in the RCA
4 days later.   Yes,  I have the same discomfort but its the exhaustion that is worrying me.  I had this exhaustion before the attack.  I thought I would have more energy not less.  I,m on Plavix, Metoprolol and Aspirin.  I was in the hospital for 6 days.  BP is low 106/65
Sometimes a stent can have the opposite effect to what you would expect. Most people think that having your artery suddenly fully opened, re-establishing a full blood flow again, will cause instant benefits. This is not always the case. You have to remember that before stenting, your muscle being fed by that vessel was in short supply and can become damaged, but not usually beyond repair unless it's a full heart attack. So the first possibility is that the heart muscle is going to take time to fully recover, and from what I've read, it can take up to around 3 months. A second possibility is that the whole dynamics of your artery supply to the affected area of heart muscle has been affected by the stent and it takes time for adjustment. For example, you could have developed collateral vessels during the time of the blockage, feeding more flow to one area than another. When the stent is applied, collaterals will close up, so again, everything changes. We have to remember it's all about the flow, how efficiently the blood gets to the areas concerned. A third possibility is more regarding discomfort. When a stent is ballooned into position, the plaque (some of it can be calcified) is forced into the artery wall. This causes damage and inflammation in many cases which has to undergo repair. During this time you can feel discomfort too.
Thank you for replying so quickly.  The Doctor's told me no damage.  They say I could of had upto 45 percent damage.  I need to return to work next week but i'm so tired most of the time.  
You could ask your Doctor to evaluate whether you can reduce your beta blocker dosage or even stop it. Beta blockers can make you feel real lethargic.
Had stint 7/13, after two hours on table and lots of happy juice I was walking around ward feeling great.  Next day not so good and back to ER that evening with serious pressure.  Now five days later not feeling any better and having some pains as described in this thread.  Guess I thought I would be superman after the stint.
I wanted to post this again, I posted in the wrong section and I would like recent stent patients to view or comment on this

46 year old hispanic male...Had PROMUS Element stent on LAD on 27 Jul 12. In early May I was talking to someone and all of the sudden had this ache from my throat to my stomach,felt like a stitch when you run in the sun on a hot summer day. I ignored it, but felt like crap the rest of the day. I also felt burning or throbbing in my left bicep and for the first time I was short of breath and had chest cramps and stabs of pain around my heart. These symptoms would come and go. the second week I felt tingling and numbness at my jawline and neck and shoulder pain, which scared me, but not scared enough to see a doctor. Finally the third week of May,  I felt awful, chest cramps, stabbing pains around my heart, dizziness. I couldnt do this to my wife and kids, I went to the emergency room and they told me it was GERD. I didnt believe the doc at first, he gave me so prilosec. The symptoms did make sense then. They still recommended I get a stress test. In July I got the blood work done high trig at 287, cholesteral was good, 176, HDl was 35 and .LDL was 84,. When I went to the ER CPK was 271 and now it was 231. When I did my stress test I was on the machine heading into 5 min when I mentioned I felt burning sensations in my arm. Doc told me he could see it on the EKG, he set me up with a CAT that same day, saw something he didnt like and scheduled an angiogram before the week was out. The procedure went well 90% blockage of LAD and he said I had to others with 30% blockage. I got and exoseal so within 4.5hrs, I got to go pee, instead of waiting the 6 to 8 hours. Blood pressure was nice and low and I have always had a low heart rate. When I got to pee the second time around 3 A.M. my BP was high and stayed high for three hours. I was previously on atenolol and HDZ for BP. After the procedure I also felt pain at the top of my left arm and my right arm. Since discharge I have felt slight sensations on my left bicep and also my right arm, which never ever gave me problems and some chest discomfor...no burning sensation or heaviness, but a warmness and some pinching. I am in the service so for the most part I am fit. I am not so alarmed knowing that I am not the only one. Yesterday just to make sure I was good, I went on 1.5 mile walk, took the wife, nitro and cell phone incase I dropped. I felt fine, worked up a good sweat and arm or chest pain. Today it has been quite disconcerting with random arm pain, heart pinches and even disorientation. Besides the BP med I am on aspirin, plavix, isosorbide dinitrate (gives me an awful headached) simvastain.
hi i am the same i took a heart attack on the year 2000 .i was fit and in the army when i took it .then got a stent in that was may then december i had to go back in and get it redone .i was fine for a while then started getting pain's in my chest and arm i kept telling them i was getting pain and i got told it was in my head .one cardioligy wanted to send me to a shrink .then finaly i got took in to hospital and thay were ready to send me home when i refused and a really good cardioligist sent me for a scan in the polo then thay found that i had another blockage 70% so i got sent for a drug ballon think in me .i was okay for 2 month and now when i get stressed out or do my house work i get pain again it get's so bad and i am frightend to go to the hospital with it and so tired im only 42 year's old and shouldent be this tired .has any one experiancing excesife sweat's as since i took the heart attack i have i went back to my gp today and thay said it was my tablet's iv been told that loads of time i stoped my med's for a year when i was pregnant and i was still getting them .
We all have so much in common it seems like with some of us our bodies are really rejecting the stints... Its awful to feel that tightning consistantly I am so discouraged,and tired of feeling this way, and now I thnk after 2nd one it's worse!!!!
I'm a 53 year old fit male who does marathons and triathlons. For about 15 years I have had periodic chest pressure. I had numerous EKGs, stress test, and ultra sound over the years to see what was causing the problem but nothing was found. My LDL & HDL have always been good but my total cholesterol has always been high. I was on no daily meds for years. About 9 weeks ago I was doing a triathlon to prepare for a half ironman. I felt fine during the event except I started to feel tired during the run. About 30 minutes after I finished I started to have pressure in my left chest and had trouble breathing. This lasted for a few hours then stopped. The next morning I woke up and felt great so I decided to do a 50 mile bike ride. During the ride I felt the same breathing issue. The next day I went to the doc and was told my EKG was abnormal. I was admitted to the hospital where I was told my RCA was totally blocked. One large and one small stent were inerted into my RCA. My heart suffered minor damage that will hopefully recover in time. I started walking the same day I had the stent done with no issues. Over the next 6 weeks I walked, swam, and rode my bike easy keeping my heart rate under 100 bpm. After the 6 weeks I went to cadiac rehad where they checked me during hard exercise. I was released to regular exercise and activity but was told to wear a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate under 150 bpm except for short spikes. I'm back running up to 10 miles, biking over 50 miles, or swimming up to 3000 yards 6 days a week and feel great during exercise. But the same minor chest pressure I felt periodically for years prior to my stent showed up after my procedure in the hospital. I went back into the hospital 2 weeks after my stent and had another cath to check my stent. Everything looked good and I was clean. My doc said this is sometimes normal. Since then this pressure still comes and goes but does not limit my activity or work. Other than being frustrated with the minor discomfort I'm back 100% and plan to do an ironman in 2013. Hopefully this pressure will stop in time but I sometimes wonder if I should go to the hospital when the pressure is worse.
I have all the same problems and have never been myself since this these wonder procedures.  The only thing to do is pray for a miricle cause the Doctors aren't able to fix the mess they made in our bodies.
I had a 100% block LAD and a medicated stint put in May 14th of this year. I still have pain that occurs in my jaw, left arm, and upper left chest. I'm 35 years old, I don't smoke, I'm active I train for triathlons, and no family history. Fortunantly I had very little damage to my heart. I'm just frustrated with having the pain come back. My doctor tells me it's from smaller clots breaking up at the base of the stent as blood flow returns and my PCP tells me it may be caused from my blood vessels spazzing. I'm not sure what to think. I just know that the pain ***** to go through. As mentioned by a lot of other people on this blog you don't know if this is the next MI or if the stent has a problem or what.
I take plavix, ranexa, isosorb mono, asprain, zocor, synthryoid, lisinpril, atinenol, nitro tabs (for angina) and trico. Muscle pain is a side effect with a lot of these medications. Everytime I ask my doctor he tells me not to worry about it.
Any thoughts and encouragement out there?? I'd really like to start exercising again without being nerveous. I've gone through cardo rehab.
Try CoQ10 for the muscle pains.  REALLY helps
Had the first stint put in 5 years ago. Never had any pain. Had two more put in a month ago. I feel pain in my chest and have wondered it the stints were put in right. After reading what I have it doesn't look like I am going to have a very good time of it.
I am a 47 yr old male. I was 5'7'' and weighed 270 lbs. I had not exercised for several years and had a horrible diet. I went to the ER September 12, 2012, with breathing problems. My breathing felt restricted and I felt some pressure on  my chest. My left arm was somewhat weak, it really felt muscular. A Nuclear stress test was ordered and it returned abnormal, on the picture side, not the tread mill side. I actually did well on the tread mill. A Cardiac cath was ordered, and upon having it done 2 bare metal stents were placed in the LAD artery due to a 100% blockage, on september 14. 1 smaller vessel was balooned. I was in the hospital 2 days and went home. I was placed on Effient, metoprolol, lisinopril and lipitor.

For the first several weeks, I felt ok, but tired. I did not work for two weeks, and did very little that elevated my heart rate. After about two weeks I started getting winded occasionally, with light exertion. I also had tightness in my chest and breathing problems, which felt bronchial or like asthma. A cough came with it. I felt like I could not get a good deep breath, but not constricted as before. I had a doctors appointment a month after stenting, and the doctor took me off of Lisinopril, as I thought it might me causing the problems (the doctor seemed pleased with my ekg and overall health) I am still not sure whether lisinopril is the culprit, or metoprolol is the problem. I start Cardiac rehab in 2 weeks, after a stress test is performed next week. If this continues, I will request that I be taken off metoprolol, and put on a nother beta blocker.

It appears that many others on here have had similar problems, but has anyone narrowed the problem to metoprolol or lisinopril? I don't think effeint is an issue. I have lost 25 lbs, and have totally changed my diet. I am also now walking 3-4 times a week about 1 1/2 miles each day.  I was hoping to feel much better than I do, after 5 weeks post stenting.

I am a 41 y/o female with type 2 diabetes. I had my 1st heart attack late Sept. I went to the ER with severe chest pressure which radiated to my back between my shoulder blades, shortness of breath and vomiting, the ECG showed nothing wrong, but the blood work that was done did. I thought it was a really bad episode of acid reflux and even said this to the nurses and even the cardiologist as I'm being prepped to have a cath done. I was awake for the procedure, and they even played the recording of it at the end for me showing me my blocked artery before and after stenting. It was a 2.5mm x 30 mm in my LAD. Exactly ONE WEEK later I'm back in the ER with severe chest pressure/pain, shortness of breath, sweating and chills (2nd heart attack), rushed into cath room and given enough pain meds that I fell asleep for this procedure, was told afterwards that stent had collapsed and it had to be reopened and a 2nd stent was placed. A 2.75mm x 14mm in my LAD. Went home, felt good, took it easy. 1-1/2 weeks later I'm back to have a 3rd stent placed (this was scheduled). A 3.0mm x 18mm in my Distol Circumflex. That night I have my 3rd heart attack, had to be taken from observation to ICU and put on Nitro IV. Got better and was released only to return a 4th time ONE WEEK later again with severe chest pains and my 4th heart attack. Was again rushed into the cath room to find out that my 3rd stent had collapsed, so this had to be reopened. I have now been home for almost 3 weeks and have felt stabbing like pains since. These are above my left breast, to the middle of my chest. I get easily fatigued, but I also cannot sleep. I returned to work last week for two days and this week for another 2 days and I feel like a whiny child because I have this pain that I know it's not in my head, and I'm not able to do what I used to do. My dad looks at me and doesn't really believe me because he had a stent put in about 10 yrs ago and has never had a problem or pain. Wish I could say the same. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling these pains. I've called my cardio's ofc a few times and every time I'm told the same thing, "the doctor is not in the office at this time, will let him know of your pain and if the pain gets worse go to the ER". That's what I plan to do if the pain gets worse, but they probably won't be able to do much for me either. I'm on 10 mg Effient (was on Plavix but with the stent collapses Dr. took my off that and put me on Effient), 40 mg Simvastatin, 50 mg Cilostazol, 2.5 mg Lisinopril, 325 mg Aspirin, 50 mg Metropolol, 25 mg Spirolactone, and my insulin medication. In March I weighed 275 lbs, 2 weeks ago I weighed 245. I used to smoke and quit, cold turkey, on the day of my 1st heart attack. I've even more paranoid now about my diet and would like to go back to exercising, but my chest pains scare me. Maybe I should just "work" thru the pain and hope that with time it gets better? The thing is I'm sitting here typing this with chest pain.

May we all get better. Take care!
I'm having that wierd pain we have all felt. This time in my left shoulder. Dull aching pain that comes and goes. Anxiety sets in. Then nausea... pain hops around to my back and side... I have had quadruple bypass, then another heart attack, Then 2 stents... Feel good some days. Bad some days... Just don't know if the pains are normal....
I've had three stents fitted and still feel very strong, maybe you should all come to Tunisia and get your heart problems sorted out by my Doctor in Sousse (the best in Sousse) Dr BELKHIRIA Nouri great bedside manner and boy does he know his job, everything he told me would happen did and I feel healthy again. He uses the new way of stenting which means he goes in through the right wrist because the medical people say that there is less risk of bleeding, infection and it is a lot safer than going in through the Femeral Artery. I felt nothing at all and watched what he was doing on the screen throughout the proceedure. Cost? Well to have this work done in England it would cost between £12 and £14,000. here in Tunisia £7,000 and the people in the clinic were ALL really great, the place was also spotlessly clean, simpy cannot give enough praise to them all.
Well, not everyone can have angioplasty through the wrist. If the artery is too twisted for example, or if you have had a previous bypass. The procedure of stenting costs English people nothing because of our social national health service. Stents do not always give the results as expected, there are many statistics of patients which prove this. I'm sure if the Doctor in Tunisia had treated thousands of patients, some would have suffered drawbacks such as re-stenosis. All cardiologists who perform angioplasty have had high levels of training and receive supervision for the first procedures. We all just react in different ways to the technology. I have had 10 stents, of which none have blocked, but some patients will find they are requiring stents to be inserted inside stents due to scar tissue forming. So, it isn't down to a particular Doctor or location.
Thanks so much for posting this.
I just had my pulmonary valve replaced using the melody valve replacement system and it is a 10000 times better than having open heart surgery.  I've had both and open heart is 3 months to recover and melody valve system is 1 to 2 weeks.  I'm going on my 2nd week.  I've had some minor pain with 2 stents and some minor pain with melody valve system.

tI expericed some pain and nausea trying o hold my Rottweiler down to clean his ears.  I had to lie down for a while.  Is this normal??
I think there are a couple of things we tend to overlook. Firstly is that as blockages gradually form over  years, we don't really notice and of the effects until the blockage is significant, but the body is affected. I think it probably adapts over that time. When the vessels are suddenly opened, it is taken for granted we should get up and do a cha cha around the ward. However, it doesn't work like that. The body has to adapt again. When my artery was opened with 5 stents having been blocked for years, probably over a decade, I felt nothing great for weeks. In fact, I felt the same as I had for years. Perhaps it's the fact that we become less fit in general, being more limited by Angina symptoms. There is also the problem that when a stent is pushed against the blockage, it forces the plaque into the artery wall and often this is hard and sharp due to calcification. It should settle down over weeks but in some people they feel a dull pain for years.
The other issue is the condition of the heart muscle. We have a significant blockage and heart muscle cells will become damaged, but not beyond repair. It can take months for heart muscle to repair because it is continually being used and has no rest period. If you damage a leg or arm muscle, you can immobilise it, allowing it to rest and repair. Our poor hearts don't have this luxury and so have to mend on the fly which takes longer.
On top of this, if you feel any abnormal symptoms such as nausea, pain or dizziness, then I would highly recommend a check up by a professional to ensure that everything is working as it should be. In the case of a valve, a simple echo scan will tell in minutes if everything is normal. In some cases, such as myself, patients are on blood pressure medication before any intervention. My blood pressure returned to normal 3 weeks after stenting, but I was still on meds to lower it further and I was having some strange dizzy spells. Doctors can often overlook this, or are unaware because follow up appointments are too far away.
i had 2 stents put in 2010 after a non stem heart attack, as 1 artery was blocked but no damage to my heart. 2and a half yrs on im still getting chest pain,shoulder pain and numbness in my fingers, had blood test done to measure my trop level and came back normal. Has any one else got these symptoms so long after they had stents put in?
Some people do, they believe it is one of two things. However, they are just theories. First it could be the trauma to the artery with the stents. Second it could be that the cardiac muscle just becomes hyper sensitive but doesn't release troponin. As  I said they are theories and such cases are rare. Are you on any medication? I was taken off blood pressure meds when last stented, but my BP did rise a bit late last year, and I tried to explain it was stress over xmas. However, they put be on Ramipril to lower it but I got chest pains from them. My Doctor was surprised because I had been on them from 2007-2009 with no problems.
hi, i got 2 stents 6 days ago after intense pain in my left arm which entenox shifted immediately which was given by paramedics,after arriving in ER and showing no signs of pain my enzym test said differently and went on that road to stenting,im home now and tire easily but i guess thats normal enuf,my problem is that im advised against my holidays which start in 2 weeks time and im flying to turkey for 7 weeks R&R,this is important too me as im not very mobile and going there i can be more independant,its on 1 level and i can exercise daily by swimming in pool,i have multiple collapse of disc in my spine so live way pain alot,my docters only mention that medical care in turkey isnt up to scratch but havnt mentioned its dangerous to fly there,im fixed on going and can get insurance,im doing everything else they tell me like losing weight and stopped smoking,am i taking a worthwhile chance,the mediteranean diet should help weight lose as well,im 50 years old and have gained 5 stone in weight and was smoking non stop due to being trapped at home in constant pain this last 3 years,
best answer yet, I had back to back drug stents in LAD, went off a beta blcker and had SOB and chest pain. I take effient10 mg for anti clot/ 50 mg losartan for bp/ metroprlol beta blocker for hypertension 40mg/ 81mg aspirin thinner.
I take a one a day mens vitamin for rounded out supplement, coq10 100mg, anti inflamitory and blood cell wall repair, flax oil 1000mg more natural thinning and aiding atp feeding and helping build up cell wall from stent damage, vitamin C 1000mg again more cell repair and guard against bacterial infection at damaged area, and very important  magnesium 250mg to aid in extra waste removal of calcifcation in arteries.
now, how am I doing? Very improved no SOB or chest trbs, or pinching.
Also, 6th day on 4 boiled eggs a day. Why? See Dr. Joel Wallach,
It's a Vet cure for ED which I have as part of the original clogging, and
the absolute warning sign of a blockage in men.
I will keep current updates on this forum. Remember my Card. couldn't say why I was having trbs. and wanted to go back in to stent area. I suggested
going back on beta blocker first, and researched what brought me to my current not to bad situation. I really feel i'm on the mend, I also try to walk a 3rd to 1/2 mile every day. Gob bless you all and ask for help spiritually.

I'm like this as well , chest pain and arm pain very scary , not nice and km really down and scared about this is there any one to talk to that as similar feeling ? . Help needed
good discussion.  good to hear i'm not alone.  i had good results.  55 yr male, type IIa familial hypercholesterolemia.  lo thyroid (88ug/day).  been on statins for decades.  mild chest pain and referred pain to throat for about 6 years on heavy exercise.  level of exercise which brought it on started dropping about a six months ago.  by spring this year I was out of breath climbing a flight of stairs, getting regular "spasm" pains in chest/throat.  (six months ago, I was regularly mountaineering, extreme levels of exercise).  saw cardiologist, he thought I was fine (ekg, echo), but scheduled me for cath anyhow as I insisted.  a day later, passed out, 100% blockage PDA.  almost 100%, tiny trickle got through on bp spikes, so no damage.  one stent (eluting) placed.  felt 1000x better instantly.  after 4 weeks started cautiously ramping up exercise.  at 6 weeks did a local 11000 foot peak (3500' gain in 3.5 hrs)...considering myself mostly cured.  it has now been 8 weeks...and i'm getting minor spasms again....not much, not too often, but definitely there.  not out of breath at all, though, can exercise very hard.  web searching led me here, thought i would relate my experience as well.  note to others -- had definite minor pain after stenting, a few days feeling really bad in first week or so, but gradually decreased.  most of that was different pain - felt like an internal tug or pinprick.  the new pains are more like the old spasms, but not bad yet, so i'll wait and see if they pick up or go away.
Exactly six weeks after having stent woke up at 4am with chest pain when breathing. Sat up for a while, then back to sleep, and then pain again upon awaking at 6am. Went to ER, ultrasound and blood work, everything okay. Was told by cardiologist sack around heart often gets inflamed at about 6 weeks after procedure. Was told to take an ibuprofen which I did and pain vanished within hours.

Now I’m 18 weeks out from procedure and having pains but not angina or breathing related. My 26 year old daughter pushed my launch buttons yesterday and the pain started almost immediately. It left 20 minutes after she did. That was 24 hours ago, now I’m having intermittent pains but again, not the crushing kind I had in January. I went to cardio rehab one session but because of a disabling back injury and two bad knees I can’t do the normal exercise routine they prescribe. I have been walking within my limits and following the Mediterranean diet to the letter, lost 45 pounds, blood pressure is 105/52 consistently, pulse 50, and cholesterol numbers better than an 18 year old. I don’t drink, do drugs, and quit smoking in 1993.

The lady I talked to in cardio rehab said post heart attack patients often have a heightened sense of awareness about every little pain and discomfort. I don’t know if the pains I’m experiencing are stress related as I have occasionally noticed them even when daughter isn’t around, or if the pains in my chest are really in my head?
Had LAD stent 2.3mm.80% stenosis and a NSTEMI.
No damage. Now my third week.
However have stent pain most every day.
I expected it and have been taking panadol every 4_6 hrs. It helps
Also i found large meals trigger the pain. The stomach muscled draw a huge amount of blood for digestion and its like a workout for the myocardium.
I found buscopan helped if taken well prior to the meal.
The very best day i have had so far was after my first cardiac rehab.  Very intense but felt good. My advice is use the same pain relief you would use for muscle pain.
The newer drugs like gabapentin and lyrica might help but need a script.
Ill let you how the pain goes.
Hi everyone, I appreciate everyone's sharing their stories, good to know I'm not the only one with pain after stenting.  July 20, 2012 two short stents placed, overlapping to create a longer stent, in my RCA just where it branches off the Aorta.   I Was 90 lbs over ideal weight, had stopped regular exercise previous 3 years and was on Lipitor and Lisinopril. Added Plavix and full aspirin after the procedure. Changed diet immediately, followed the Mediterranean diet and lost 40 lbs quickly, but have plateaued for the last 6 months while maintaining my lifestyle change of the diet and regular exercise.

I have pain in my chest when doing cardio, but mostly limited to when I run. I can get my heart up to 135 - 140 bpm on elliptical walker with no pain. Very odd and i have been trying to sort this out so I can discuss with my Doc on my one year check up. There is no question that I can do more now than before the stent, but I certainly was given the expectation that I should have no pain. Just not the case!  Here's a few observations.  I have heart palpitations off and on since the procedure, but they sure seem to increase when I'm dehydrated.  I don't have pain if I use an elliptical walker, but do have chest pain when I run. However, not all the time.  So, I keep going if its a 3-4 pain level and stop when it's a 6-7 out of 10. I recover quickly and can re-start running   My conclusion is that my body is still adjusting to this foreign object, blood thinner changes flow dynamics around this foreign object and is a probable cause for palpitations, possibly while running which leads to the pain, and I need to continue to build my fitness level cardio-wise.
I have a follow-up stress test next month, my prediction is I will get a clean bill of just like many of you even though I have this intermittent pain when running.  I'll post after the test.  Clearly, my story is not over!

Live positive.
Question for those of you that have been stented; Has any of your cardio docs said you need an internal defibulator implanted in your chest? From what I have read there are four categories; #1 is for upper valve flutter and the implant shocks the heart to restart a smooth rhythm. #2 is for the lower valves loosing rhythm, #3 was for patients that flat lined as this thing will give you the big jolt if needed, and #4 was a miscellaneous category for everyone else. I’m in #4 according to my c. doc.

Here is my concern; this thing has only been on the approved device list for 1 year so there isn’t much of a track record. Next, you are forever tied to you c.doc needing monthly visits for downloading the info it stores and battery checks, and the battery lasts between 4-7 years depending on how many times it triggers, requiring repeating the implant procedure every four years more or less. I interviewed one guy with a quad by-pass that he said it fired 60+ times first month. Sounds like he really needs it, or it’s on the same channel as his tv remote?

I had a single stent and the rest of the plumbing looked good. So, do they recommend these for everybody? I hate to be skeptical but doctors do vacation in the tropics all the time for pushing prescriptions and other things on their patients. It’s not widely known or talked about but my wife works at the same hospital so I know it is true. Doctors prescribe pills, surgeons cut, and cardio doctors…?  I’m scheduled for another ultrasound and then a visit with his partner the “implanter” but I plan to line up a second opinion before I make any decisions.
(and now my head hurts too…)
I'm glad to see this sight I just had 2 stents put in 6 days ago and still having chest pain.How long does this usually last? I have been walking ,seems to be ok .Good to know other people having same symptoms.
I had two drug eluding stents placed in early December 2012. The only pain I had was left forearm pain while play very aggressive racquetball. My first night home, I experienced all sorts of pains I had not felt before, both in my chest and in my left forearm. A week after I was home, I returned to the hospital to get checked out and they said everything was fine. Ten days after the stents were placed I was playing racquetball again, with no pain associated with activity. I continued to experience different pains and sensations for about two months after the procedure mainly occurring when in bed. From what I've researched, these types of pains are pretty common even if nothing is wrong. Unfortunately, these pains can really freak you out.
The biggest issue I have now is the side effects from the medications I am on, which include Lipitor, Plavix, Metropolol and a baby aspirin.
I have been on Dr. Esselstyn's plant based diet for over six months and I feel great. My Lipitor has been reduced to 10mg/day and my total cholesterol is 91 and my LDL is 44.
I just had a defib implanted on July 3.  I previously had 100% of LAD and stent was put in.  There was significant heart damage.  Five days after the heart attack I had irregular heartbeat of 188 while at rest.  This was why i needed the defib.  I was not allowed to leave the hospital for 14 days until I could have the procedure.  I am not an expert on this but if your haven't had an irregular heart beat, I would ask for specifics of why it is needed.  In my case it is not a preventative measure.  I am 53 years of age, healthy in every other way and if I could take this defib out, I would.  
I had my angioplasty in Aug 2010. I was 95% blocked in my LADCA. Afterward the cardiologist stated that he thought he was going to need to put in a 2nd one, but he just placed 1 small one.
I started to notice shortly after my procedure a numbness in my chest. Roughly 3" to the left of my sternum and 3" from my nipple to the right.
At first, I just thought it was due to a foreign object in my heart and just put it off as that. Now 3 years later, the very same pain is there.
It's just a dull numbness unless I touch it, then it is actually a pain.
I asked some people that have had stents if they had the same or similar issue. I was told by one friend that he did have that sort of pain, his doctor told him it was due to the pressure of the blood going through the stent which caused that.
I don't really see how a stint inside of my heart, behind my rib cage under all the muscle could cause this pain.
I don't notice it when I exercise, so until it starts becoming more of a problem, I guess I will just deal with it.
I am 29 Years Old,Male,  Got a Stent Placed in LAD for 90% Block on 29th Sept 2013, No Family history or Cholesterol.  Getting some mild pains near my heart ( Right in the Middle of my chest with Burning and pinching Sensation) , Muscle twitching, Spontaneous Pain in left and right arm for short time. Have been working out regularly for 20 mins everyday. Concerned if I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life . Currently on Ceruvin 75mg, ecosprin 150Mg, Storvas 40Mg, Met XL 25mg and Nexium. Any advice to reduce pain would greatly appreciated, Already Quit smoking and maintaining a healthy diet. I am from India
Just read a UK site that suggests that if you can touch and feel pain on your chest then it may be muscle or skeletal and not heart.  Just repeating what I read.  Also, my wife suffered from Costochondritis.  Do some research on that.  She found some stretching keeps it at bay.  
One of my cardiologists who had his heart attack at 54 says he takes a supplement called CoQ10 to reduce his pain.  Since I am over 40, I take Ubiquinol since some of the reading I've done says that as an "electron-rich form of coenzyme 10" its easier for older people to metabolize.  Keep good thoughts about feeling better.  That helps too !
46 year old hispanic male, I did not have a heart attack just this ache from my throat to my stomach, burning or throbbing in my left bicep. For the first time in my life I was short of breath and had chest cramps and stabs of pain around my heart. I also felt tingling and numbness at my jawline, neck and shoulder pain, as time went on I had more chest cramps, stabbing pains around my heart and dizziness. These symptoms would come and go. I first went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with GERD, which explained a lot except for the burning sensation in my arm and the one or two episodes of shortness of breath. I finally had stress test done and that same week ended with me getting a PROMUS Element stent on LAD on 27 Jul 12 for  90% blockage of LAD. I posted all of this earlier. An hour after the procedure I felt shoulder pain at the top of my left arm and my right arm. For about a month or so after discharge I felt slight sensations on my left bicep and my right arm, which never ever given me problems and some chest discomfort...no burning sensation or heaviness, but a warmness and some pinching. It was so worrisome that in Nov of 2012 I took a Nuclear Stress Echo, passed with flying colors. All pains seemed to go away, I was living my normal life trying to watch my diet and exercise. I did walk a bit got into the rhythm of life and stopped. Around April or May I went for walk and felt a single twinge of pain just like before in my left arm. I had gained about 30lbs after losing 20lbs so my weight was close to 275+. With time other sensations returned. No chest pain pains, but serious shoulder pain and arm pain. I could feel my pulse in my biceps, both sides and lots of aches in my arms. I had lots of chest flutterings, a few episodes of light headedness and lots of headaches. One night I thought I was going to die,  my arms were on fire and I had this headache that I could not even move my head. I made a cardio appointment with a new doctor (cause I had moved). My BP was high 160/100 on all three visits so he doubled my atenolol meds. I kept having the same symptoms so in July he did a stress test (thallium). I passed it with flying colors, he told me I was good and I tried to live as normal as possible, pushed a motorcycle up a hill, moved furniture, painted. Ironically when I was active like that I felt better. I changed my from simvastatin to crestor, stopped taking rx xantac. But little by little I felt worse and worse. In Sep I scratched a vessel in my nose and it would not stop bleeding, went to ER and they gave inserted a balloon to heal it, Hurt really bad, when they removed it, I fainted, my heart rate was 32. They kept me overnight for observation, my doctor and the cardio wanted me to go in for a check up. I was beginning to think that I had anxiety and even got a rx for that but never took it. I also stopped taking crestor cause my cholesterol was better and I thought it was causing the arm pain and burning sensation in my chest. I went in to see him and he asked if I was still having pain, which at that point I was not feeling to bad, but I said yes and he decided to do an angiogram. I didn't think I was going to live until the angiogram without going to the ER, just weird sensations in my ticker and pulsing sensations in my neck on both sides . On 1 Nov I had the angiogram, and he found an 80% blockage of the circumflex, he put in a bare metal stent cause the artery was too small for a coated one. Afterwards he told me that normally he might not have stented and 80%, but since I had symptoms, he is glad that he did, it was actually 95% blocked, I am still feeling slight pinches around my hear and some arm sensations, but nothing like before, I di feel a fullness around my throat and I do have a sore throat though. I think its time to find a new cardio, they explain very little to you and are always in a rush. I am hoping the future is brighter for stenting and diagnosing. I am down to 248 from almost 280 and eating healthy. Please post comments or experiences and even advice
MAY 2ND 2013
I had a heart attack (Widow Maker ) 100 % blockage 41/2 hr later my stent was in place ... I have had chest pains ever seens .. Stress test and eco shows my heart is doing great no damage somehow and stent is doing good .   But pain has continued causing trips back to ER more than once. not sure what is going on and my Dr cant find anything , has cost me my job more than once . not sure what to do are ask my Dr to look far .. any ideals
I was born with Addisons Disese (disease)  and have been on steroids since age 5 and I'm 62 now. I've had 9 stents total and have been on Plavix for 5 years. I've been restented twice, first at 2 years and the last at 11 months. I still take Plavix and Dexalent along with hydrocortisone and fluorocortisone every day, and I struggle with pain constantly. After 57 years of steroids, my spine has 11 fused vertebrae and my heart is also paying the price for staying alive on steroids. Sometimes you just have to find the best combination of medication that your body will cope with. Everybody is different and everybody reacts to medications in a distinctive manner. Just keep trying to find the right combination for your body. Please refrain from steroids, the side effects are disastereous and have horrible side effects.
Jackbejack
I had a stent placed on Feb 5th. Before the stent I felt very good just a little pain while warming up during my work-out. Turned out to be 95% blockage to LAD. I am now working out again just as hard as before. No pain. Feel great. My concern is I never hear of anyone who had a stent placed who feels good years later and is living life with no problems. Is there anybody out there who is doing fine and has no issues at all?
Well this is really depressing. It appears there is nobody who ever had a stent placed who is doing fine with no issues years after the proceedure.
I have friends who had stents over 10 years ago and are still very active indeed. You don't hear about the millions of successes because they are out there really enjoying life and not having to ask any questions :)
Has anyone heard of this type of stent. I saw it mentioned here at http://www.sharecare.com/health/implantable-medical-devices-heart/what-is-a-bioabsorbable-stent

Just got two stents inserted. Ache in the sternum continues and could not sleep last night.
Hi, yes I've heard of them. The first stents were what are called bare metal because there are no chemicals coating them. However, in many cases, the artery was forming lots of scar tissue and then blocking again. This led to the development of the Drug eluting stent which has a chemical coating to help inhibit the formation of scar tissue. However, a stent is a mesh and if you could shrink yourself down and stand inside a fitted stent, you will see that only around 3-5% of the artery wall is touched by a stent, the rest are spaces between the struts. Scar tissue was still forming but in fewer patients now. The stent you mention is something of a theory which will need to be proven with research. They are hoping it is the stent which promotes the scar tissue, and not the damaged caused by crushing it into the artery wall. This stent will gradually dissolve so if the scar tissue is caused by a stent, then the problem may be eliminated. However, I do have to question the reasoning behind this. With Drug eluting stents, the scar tissue forms quite quick, within the first 2-3 weeks, if it's going to. If the dissolving stent takes this long to break down, then it won't achieve anything. The only benefits I can see is that if scar tissue does form, then there are no metal stents in the way to prevent another attempt or bypass or other options.
What a forum! I just had a med stint put in for a 100% blocked in large left artery. I felt good after, started the med lines. Then 4 days after at home, I woke up with the start of arm and jaw numbness, then turning into chest discomfort again. Lasted about an hour, than subsided. What do you all think that's from?
Great to see this site. I am 59 years old and four stents placed on 4/24/14, 85% blockage. I continue to have the same "dull ache" on my left chest above my nipple and in to my armpit. I have had one trip to ER after a few days home and like everyone else all blood work comes back normal. This pain appears to get worse at the end of a long day or after a long walk. Like a another person on this site, I am also on Dr Esslestyn's diet and my cholesterol has dropped to 110/57 from 269/204... The pain is depressing, especially if you do not know if it something you shouldn't ignore.
Hi, I am a 51 year old female who had a heart attack 9/6/13 in the left circumflex it (dissected). they put in 5 stents (bare metal) continued having chest pain but continued my walking as instructed. I had another cath in October dr. said everything was fine but I was still having pain. Had another stent put in on Dec 26, 2013 after stress test showed blockage.  II had scar tissue block the same artery so the dr. put in one medicated stent.  Felt some better but then started having chest pain again in late January and have ever since. I had another cath done in april that Dr. said everything was fine but continue to have discomfort. I have worsen pain after cleaning all day and really toward the end of a busy day. I have only went  to the ER once which landed me  in the cath lab (prior) so I  am never sure when to go to the hospital and when to stay home so I just stay home and take nitro which does help. it just won't last. I retain a lot of fluid and have to sleep on 4 pillows. I now have anxiety attacks and am ready to scream!! I am on all of the above (meds) and really don't know whether I am doing more damage by not going ??? what to do??? any suggestions?
I never had a heart attack and my CAD was found due to GERD symptoms. I had a DES placed in my 90% blocked LAD in Jul 2012, I started having weird sensations to include radiating sensation in my left arm, very mild sharp sensations around my chest, very mild and very fleeting and then from Nov 2012 until Apr 2013 I felt great. I started feeling twinges in my arm, pulsing sensations in the cubital and biceps, burning sensation from my chest, I was getting lots of headaches and my BP was higher, had another stress test but BP quite normal during the stress test, was told all was ok. I could push a motorcycle up a hill, I was never winded or tired or SOB, but I didn't feel good. Finally the my cardio got tired of my complaints and did a cath and found a blockage on my circumflex, very tight artery had to put in a bare metal cause DES were too big? I feel better in lots of ways...those pains went away especially headaches. I have new sensations. different arm pain, localized to the side of my elbow and forearm, shoulder pain and chest pain, but sharp pains very fleeting , right side and left side of chest and right in the middle. I am going to get a GI scope cause I had sonogram my liver was a bit fatty and sludge in my gall bladder. I am on PPI, and the normal medications, aspirin, Plavix, crestor, HZTZ, atenolol and protonix, I am very sure that some of these issues are related to those medicines. I am here to say that you are not alone and have you tried a different cardio
This is a great forum. I'm 61, and was climbing Baldwin Hills (500 feet elevation) twice up and down followed by an hour in the gym on twice a week 4 days prior to my heart attack. I was feeling great. Obviously, I had been relying on collateral. On July 16 '14, after 5 hours of excruciating pain in my sternum and down my arm I went to the ER. The Circumflex was 100% occluded. They placed the first stent in me. The LAD and RCA were also 85% and 80% occluded. I had two stents in the LAD on Au 11 '14, and going for more in the RCA on Aug 25 '14. Now, I feel a sharp pain in my sternum after I walk for ten minutes. I have to stop for the pain to subside. I attribute it to the stent digging into the arterial wall. If I do 40 squats with only my body weight, I am out of breath and the chest pain flares up. This is very discouraging considering a month ago I was climbing hills along with 30 year olds. I am on Plavix, Aspirin, Lipitrol, Metoprolol, and Lisinopril. They all seem to have the same side effects: weakness and dizziness. My plan after the final stent procedure is to slowly start getting off these meds, except for the Plavix and Aspirin. If beta-blockers are supposed to slow down the heart and the intensity of the heart beat, then how can I possibly increase my heart rate when I exercise? It's a catch-22.