chest pain while running
I am 40 years old,5'9",165 lbs. I was running recently and had a sharp pain beneath my ribs under my armpit. I slowed and walked for a while and the pain went away. I began to run again and the pain came back and moved toward the left side of my chest. I quit running and began to walk and the pain went away again. I run this same run frequently the only thing I can think of is i may have been slightly dehydrated.

How concerned should I be? Should I just monitor myself and pay attention to my body?
The type of pain you are describing doesn't sound cardiac to me at all.  It's probably some form of muscluskeletal chest pain, probably one of the intercostal muscles is getting fatigued during exertion.  Make sure you stretch well and hydrate well before exerting yourself.  If this continues to get worse,  I would recommend seeing someone and consider physical therapy.