Heart Disease Expert Forum
chest pains radiating to upper back, shoulders...

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

First off I am a 25 year old white female. I went on a slip and slide with all the kids(which I have none of my own), and I hit my ribcage a little hard the last time. I started having chest pains about 2 days later, so last friday I went to the ER because I called my doctor and they said chest pain isnt something to mess around with. The ER ran some bloodwork and a chest XRAY and released me with costochondritis. They gave me 5 days of predisone(steroids) for inflammation and some pain killers(hydrocodone or something). I took one day off of work and than I worked all day saturday and sunday. On sunday night I ended up leaving work and I came home to try to get some rest, but the chest pain just worsened and worsened. I went to my doctor Monday morning, my doctor was ill so I waited for the other doctor(I go through the VA)...the doctor did an EKG and some blood work and released me with 3 days off of work. It is now tuesday and I can breath better but my pain is the same, if not worse, its just changed location. Now my upper back/shoulders all the way to my hairline on my neck and my jaw are killing me. I mean it hurts to the slightest touch and I can barely lay down, and since it hurts so much to lay down I can barely sleep. I want the doctor to be right about costochondritis but could this be something else. I have done absolutely nothing to harm my shoulders, I have been resting, not lifting, not tightening my muscles etc. It still hurts my chest to take a deep breath or laugh but the majority of my pain moved locations to my upper shoulders/neck. Please help me. If you have any suggestions on tests that I should insist on, or ideas of what could be wrong. And medicine that might work for pain better because the pain medicine has done nothing. Please help, thank you for your time.
Tags: upper
Your chest pain sounds as if it is musculoskeletal, and related to the episode that occurred on the slip and slide. It does not sounds as if it is related to your heart. Most likely, the best thing for your pain is rest, and the pain medication prescribed by your doctor.  It sounds as if your have had the appropriate tests, including an Xray. Now, if your pain continues to get worse, or does not get better within the next week it would be important to return to your doctor.