Heart Disease Community
chest vibration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

chest vibration

Last night I had a vibration thing happen in my chest off and on for about 2 hours.  I am almost positive that my pulse was normal just fast (100-110).  It was scary but I didn't panic and my breathing stayed normal.  I have had a panic attack before (full on heart attack thinking kind) and this wasn't like that.  I was just wondering if the heart can be spasming and yet not be arrythmic.  Does that make sense?  Is an anxiety attack and a panic attack the same thing?  (I did post on the anxiety forum too, I just feel like it is a heart related issue so I thought I'd try it here too!!)

I have mentioned that I am heading to Mayo and I would like to go up there with only the relevant chest related issues and although I FEEL like last night was one, I really honestly don't know anymore.

Thanks you all and I hope you have a great weekend.
Hello

My heart seems to spasm too.  For me, it beats normally and then there is a gurgle that seems to interrupt the beat temporarily.  It is really annoying.  I've been to a cardiologist and he assures me my heart is fine.  I just wish I could get it to stop.  I never know when to expect it to happen.  Just so you know you are not alone!
Okay, I know I sound a little paranoid but, well...I am.  The vibration thing happened again this afternoon.  I was resting (I am lucky to be hit with ear infection, sore throat and now--thanks to my littles---PINK EYE!!!) and had just dozed off when I felt the shaking start.  I put my hand on my left chest area, like you do when you are "pledging allegiance" and could feel and see a pretty rough shaking.  I tried to feel my pulse at the wrist and I think it was normal.   It happened two more times after that.  The last time I checked my pulse at the neck and I couldn't tell what was happening because I think I was getting a little panic-y.  Very, very scary.

Can my heart just start an eratic beating like that--out of the blue?  I know the heart is buried deep under the ribs, cartiliage and etc but is it  possible to visualize it (any shaking it is doing)  on the surface?  This is crazy I know but something weird is happening.

Does anyone have any insight?
You know, i have felt something similar a few times! Ive felt it in my chest, in my legs and in my arms, and its muscle spasms brought on by dehydration usually.. I can put my hand on the area and feel the muscle vibrating..Its a VERY weird sensation! Does this sound like you?
I am probably very dehydrated today.  Since I have been sick I've not really had my usual huge amount of water.  It seems to only come on at night though, until today when I was napping during the day.  I would like to think it is a muscle spasm (that sure makes the panic feeling less...thanks!!!) but it seems to be only on the left side of my chest.  Actually, now that I think about it, if I am startled awake (this afternoon it was one of those awake jerk things that woke me up) it seems to happen.  Tonight I was watching a movie with my little boy and I dozed off and he said something and it startled me and it happened.  hmmmmmm....I never realized that until I started typing this reply.  But it doesn't seem to be adrenaline either---my pulse does get faster but seems normal.  Oh yeah, my chest aches after a few of them.  Could that be sore muscles?  Also, can any type of arrythmia cause this type of feeling?

Wow, thank you so much for your reply, I think it really help with the panic feeling I was having.  I have been kind of dreading going to sleep because I was afraid it would happen again.  Gee, can you say classic panic/anxiety disorder???  lol   Mayo is going to kick me right out on my keister!!!

Thanks you so very much.
you're welcome! I just wish i could make you feel better.. i know how much of a drain the anxiety can be!  

I have an arrhythmia, but ive never had a vibration sensation in my chest before with it, but that doesnt mean its not possible. it is encouraging however that your pulse seems to stay the same, thats a very good sign, its also a good sign you arent really experiencing much tachycardia (110 is nothin to sweat).. I hope you have good luck at mayo ! Anything that you feel is heart related you should mention to them.. Dont hold anything back for fear of sounding anxious or overly concerned! Let us know how things go!
You seem to be describing a myoclonus, that is, a vibrating muscle.  The problem is, we don't know where it is.  The ones occurring in the chest, may be coming from the diaphragm.  Their origins are obscure, as they are often due to an insult to the phrenic nerve system.  If your pulse is normal while the vibration occurs, it's likely not your heart.  Check out diaphragmatic myoclonus on the web...horses typically are afflicted after vigorous exercise, so there's lots of references to horses.  That fact that a startle gets it going for a while can be due to an adrenaline surge, which is in keeping with a muscular problem.  Anxiety will make it worse.  Your should be able to track it down with the right kind of MD (specializing in neuromuscular disorders), or it might go away on its own (as the neural insult gets repaired).  Magnesium deficiency has been implicated (at least in horses).

Good luck,

-Arthur
i would get another cardio opinion and not risk it. if it happens on and off perhaps it wasn't happening when you got it checked with the doc the first time... go to ER
i would get another cardio opinion and not risk it. if it happens on and off perhaps it wasn't happening when you got it checked with the doc the first time... go to ER next time it happens and try to see what is going on while its happening... thats the only way to make sure you are ok...

my hubby gets these and just had a massive heart attack...
I get chest vibration too. It starts when I go to sleep, and it sometimes wakes me back up. I started to fall asleep in a chair one time, and it started just as my head began to nod. I wake up with it constantly. It stops as soon as I become fully awake, and start moving around. During these attacks, my pulse is always normal. I thought it was atrial flutter or fibrillation, but after a sleep study, echocardiogram, nuclear cardio stress test, two Holter monitors, and two event monitors, nothing but a couple of benign PVCs showed up. Evidently my heart is fine, but I would sure like to know what the vibration is.
Six years ago, I had a mild heart attack and had 2 stents installed. I had restenosis two months later and had an angioplasty at that time. After that (for a month or so), I occasionally would get a vibration in my chest during the day. I had an ECG while it was happening, but it showed nothing unusual. Eventually, the vibrations stopped. I have had a few cardiolite stress tests over the years and all show there is no evidence I ever had a heart attack. Six weeks ago I was drinking a very cold frozen beverage and felt like I froze my esophagus. I went into atrial fibrillation a few minutes later and drove to the emergency room. It converted on its own (heart returned to normal sinus rhythm) before I could be given medication (the episode lasted about 2 hours), so they sent me home. A few days later my chest would vibrate any time I laid on my stomach, or on my left side. I can stop most of the vibration by lying on my back, or getting out of bed. I had another echo and cardiolite stress test and it looks like my heart is fine. At this time, I wake up a couple times a night with my chest vibrating. My heartbeat is fine and I have not had another atrial fibrillation episode, but I too wish I knew what the deal is with this vibration. It certainly appears to be related to events that happened to my heart, yet tests show my heart is fine.
Not many tests would show that vibrations are.....  The first came vibration on my chest, I told my cardio when I had my pacemaker checked.  He said it was A-Fib.  Later I have it in my legs and hands.  They discovered I got diabetes type II.  Now I got that "express train" like in my chest first thing in the morning when I open my eyes.  They said is normal, nothing wrong.  I also got that vibration in my chest after eating.  Dr said I didn't have A-Fib anymore.  It's just gone or disappeared by itself but the vibration is still there!  What is that?  My mum told me if the cholestrol is too high you get numb in the big toes but my diabetes dr said it won't have any sign if cholestrol is high or too high!
This has been a fascinating forum. I have been dealing with the vibrations in the chest and the heart racing a little plus even some jerkiness for years. I have been Dx with MS but that is probably just another factor. I think the person who said it stems from the diaphram is probably correct. It is a muscle contraction thing that pushes up the stomach as well I think and starts the spams....I hate it. I get it almost every night and hate to go to sleep but it has been years. I take propanalol if my heart goes up too high and valium seems to settle the spasms .....but it takes some time...I seem to have myclonus with it which could be my MS just kicking in...who knows. I have had all the heart tests and I have no heart problems..

Brandee
hi iv got this wierd vibrating in my chest, its doin my head in, its very annoying! i used to have wolf parkinsons white syndrome (a very irregular heart beat at certain times) but i had an ablation so i havent had any for years, iv had millions of ecgs after an they said my heart is fine now.
I never thought that I would find so many people with the same symptoms of vibrating!! I was thinking I was nuts! It has been happening to me off and on for the last year or so. I have a family hx of heart disease with my Brother (deceased), uncle and grandparent. I was dx'd in my early 20's with Mitral Valve Prolapse and was told not to worry about it. Then in my 30's was told I didn't have it. The vibrating occurs about 15-20 after I lie down for bed, or if I nap during the day, it doesn't appear to effect my heart rate and just feels like a vibrating cell phone in my chest.  It is unsettling and I usually get up and stretch and go back and lie down, I eventually fall asleep.  I have not had this checked out by a Physician yet, but I plan too.  Also, I take antidepressents and Lithium for bi-polar disorder, wonder if the med's can cause it?
I had the vibrating chest for the first time last night, and it scared me so I looked it up and found this forum.  I have also had symptoms similar to others posting here, l like chest gurgling.  My heart also beats hard at times when I'm trying to sleep.  That gives me a desire to twitch and toss and turn to distract me from the loudness of my heart... which leads of course to no sleep.  When I went to the doc about it, he said it was stress, possible GI related and not to worry about it.  But the vibrating thing that happened last night freaked me out.  I wish there was a magic answer in the forum, but I haven't seen any.  I'm sure the doc will tell me again that it's stress (that seems to be the answer for everything), but I will certainly go if the vibrating continues.  I am 30 years old, not on any meds and have not been diagnosed with any disorder, plus the doc says my heart is normal (did an EKG).
I am having the vibrating chest, left side, using plavix and crestor.  Anyone with an answer?
I have been in the chest and foot buzzing/vibrating club for years now. I don't take any medication, my heart has been cleared as good. Yes, its annoying at nite when your trying to sleep, my bed use to shake ever so slightly sometimes because of it. Right now as I write this my left inside foot, closer to the heel is buzzing/vibrating actually like a pulsing buzz some more pronounced than others, I just came in from shoveling snow.  I wonder if it is related to muscle spasms or something vascular but I have never bothered going to the doctor about it, Yet...it doesn't seem to hurt just annoy.  Im 45 and female. This is interesting.
I've been having these chest vibrations for nearly two years now as well.  Seriously thought it must be a rare thing - obviously that's not the case.  Although there doesn't seem to be any real diagnosis' listed, I'm certainly glad to have found this forum!  

I notice the vibrations in the left side of my chest more-so during the day at work.  They do happen at night sometimes, but it's been acting up quite a bit over the past couple weeks again and it often happens during the day.  Extremely annoying - panic sets in because it seems no-one around me understands what I'm talking about.  I have seen a couple of doctors over the past year - thinking this could be related to indigestive issues - I haven't been given any solid answers.  I do believe that keeping hydrated helps keep the vibration episodes minimalized, but I certainly haven't found anything that has made them disappear all together - oh how nice that would be!

I'm 36/female/not on any meds/family history of some heart issues

There has to be an explanation for this.

Thank you to everyone for the information posted - this has certainly been beneficial.

Kristi
Last night while sleeping a noise like a motor inside my chest woke my up, had no beats, it was my heart working faster than ever, the sound was like a motor, I was not short of breath but in amazing put my hand over my chest and I thought I was gonna die. Nothing of it happened and I am alive, but fear that it happens again.
i have been having the vibratons on the left side as well, as im tying this i am having the, i find they can be one after another, or i can go  hrs and hrs without one.  the one other thing i had was burning feet. i changed the way  i was eating and started to drink lots of water which i really didnt before. the feet seem to stop burning for sometime then the last few days i didnt drink much water and there back to burning all day today. as for the vibrations there really annoying and after 3 weeks i was beginning to get to the point of panicing today, i been to the dr, had ecg - normal, had all the blood work done for diabetes, cholesterol, everything and it all came back normal. the heart rate seems to be fine when this is happening. im so glad to have found this site and to know others have this.  wondering if its female issue more then male?
I had this vibration approx. 8 months ago and I like another person on this forum  has posted,  felt it so strongly that my bed was shaking. I thought that I was dreaming as it woke me up and I actually believed my wash machine was on and that it was spinning as my laundry room is upstairs near my bedroom.  I accused my daughter the next day of doing laundry in the middle of the night and informed her of how  she had disturbed me.  She then told me she had not done any laundry at all.  I thought to myself, was that me or was I dreaming.  It did not occur again until a few weeks ago, being a female and being a nurse I thought can this be a heart attack without pain or a pending sign of something so I went to hospital emerg.  It only lasted a few minutes and actually was not as strong as the first one, but it was so unusual and I've never had any of my patients complain of this before so I was surprised to see that so many experience this.  I was scared because this was the second one and I knew now that it wasn't a dream.  I was released from the hospital after about 8 hours when blood work came back normal, I had not eaten or had anything to drink before going to emerg in case they needed to do some type of procedure.  My potassium levels were normal, so it wasn't due to low potassium as some have suggested.  I had an ECG which was also okay and like I said to the technician, it's not happening so I'm sure it won't reveal anything.   I was  however referred to the regions cardiac hospital and at the time of this writing I am in to my second day of wearing a loop recorder.  I will wear this for the next two weeks and then have an echocardiogram on the day I return the loop recorder.  Of course it hasn't happened yet, but I'm hoping it will in the next 2 weeks.  The doctor wondered if I was having some type of myoclonic seizure but wants to rule out heart first.  Will continue to search for answers.  
The vibration in the chest is a scary one, right? But we are all still alive and kicking and talking about it. Just don't ask your doctors as they don't know what you are talking about. I'm not knocking the docs but as to  AFIB and all of it's related side effects, they don't have a clue. And my specialist as much as told me that. He said a lot of the treatment is hit and miss. So it seems that they should be listening to what we say, recording it and evaluating it. They have, on all of the sites and forums on AFIB a chance to collate all of the side effects,symptoms, advice and use it in their trials. But they don't, so these forums are great when you are worried and anxious. Just don't be too anxious, and I know that sounds easy, but believe me I used to go into total panic when I first experienced AF, heart racing all out of rhythm, up to 220 beats per minute. I used to get in my car and drive myself to hospital, 20ks an hour, 2 and 3am in the morning. Guess what, I got sick of doing that. Now I take a deep breath, take a flecinaide(which I  hate because of the horrendous side effects)and sit down or lie down quietly.If it goes on  for too long I take another pill and get on my PC and get onto the AF sites for a bit of comfort and stress relief...manage your own fear. remember we all die sometime, not much we can do about it...just don't let it control your life. I am 69 female, still working full time(and doe get AF every 10 days or so so often at work)and I plan to fight this thing tooth and nail.
It is without doubt, one of the worst things you can have as you tend to live in constant fear, and I once wished my specialist would get it so he wouldn't be so flippant about it. Then I thought no, I couldn't wish it on anyone else.
Be brave, take care, and keep your fingers crossed for a bright young spark somewhere who will discover the cure. The old school become complacent.
The vibration in the chest is a scary one, right? But we are all still alive and kicking and talking about it. Just don't ask your doctors as they don't know what you are talking about. I'm not knocking the docs but as to  AFIB and all of it's related side effects, they don't have a clue. And my specialist as much as told me that. He said a lot of the treatment is hit and miss. So it seems that they should be listening to what we say, recording it and evaluating it. They have, on all of the sites and forums on AFIB a chance to collate all of the side effects,symptoms, advice and use it in their trials. But they don't, so these forums are great when you are worried and anxious. Just don't be too anxious, and I know that sounds easy, but believe me I used to go into total panic when I first experienced AF, heart racing all out of rhythm, up to 220 beats per minute. I used to get in my car and drive myself to hospital, 20ks an hour, 2 and 3am in the morning. Guess what, I got sick of doing that. Now I take a deep breath, take a flecinaide(which I  hate because of the horrendous side effects)and sit down or lie down quietly.If it goes on  for too long I take another pill and get on my PC and get onto the AF sites for a bit of comfort and stress relief...manage your own fear. remember we all die sometime, not much we can do about it...just don't let it control your life. I am 69 female, still working full time(and do get AF every 10 days or so so often at work)and I plan to fight this thing tooth and nail.
Be brave, take care, and keep your fingers crossed for a bright young spark somewhere who will discover the cure. The old school has become complacent.
OMG!  I am amazed at how many people have this vibrating feeling.  I have had it on and off for several years.  I have been wearing an event monitor when while it happens and am told it is not related to my heart.  It always starts JUST as I am drifting off to sleep and, of course, then I can't get to sleep until it stops.  Sometimes it is like a constant vibration and sometimes it is like it is pulsing, getting stronger and weaker.  I swear it feels like my heart is quivering but when I take my pulse it is normal. Having survived a sudden cardiac arrest a couple of years ago, it of course sends me into an anxiety attack when it happens.  I do have unsustained Ventricular Tachycardias and have a defibrillator and I keep telling myself that since the defibrillator hasn't zapped me I must be okay.  Even my electrophysiologist cannot explain it - and he has even experienced it himself.  It is oddly comforting to know I am not alone in this.  Thanks for all your posts.  
I have experienced this virating and have experimented with it when it happens, If I take deep breaths the vibration stops after a minute, this leads me to believe it has to do with a lack of oxygen to the heart or diaphragm or some mussel somewhere that I can not identify, maybe related to sleep apnea?
I am a 65 year old physician with a variety of non-cardiac problems.  I have been having a subtle faint faint vibrating sensation over my left anterior chest. No associated problems when it happens.   Thought my Iphone was buzzing.  
I know enough about medicine that this is not a known or accepted symptom complaint.  I had a stress test a month ago.  Negative.  I keep reading and searching and find nothing mentioned in medical literature.
There is an entity called a thrill and it is a palpable vibration caused by a murmur from valve disease.  I cannot palpate it and I have no known valve disease so the puzzle persists.
Doctors, I am one, dismiss the unknown.  They, we, listen and wonder if need to send this one off to psychiatry.  Or did I miss a chapter or an article last month.  So I am reading and watching and wondering if this is a small vessel in spasm causing a vibrating stimulation of a regional nerve.

I've had the "buzzing"/vibrations in my chest on and off for several years, but very consistent for the past few months.  I used to think it was tachycardia but checking my pulse I had to conclude it was not related to my heartbeat. For me, it occurs when I wake and it usually disappears within 30 seconds, although sometimes it starts up again. I had heard about the tissue surrounding the heart becoming electrified, but can't find any info on that. I do very much appreciate the comments and certainly hope it's not heart-related.
Hi there,
I too have been having chest vibrations.  They happen only when I am lying down and only when I am lying down on my sides.  I am wondering if this might be some sort of long term reaction to the seasonal flu or h1n1 vaccines.  Have any of you here had any of the vaccines?  
Wow!  I've been having small flutters over my heart that feel like my phone is buzzing for about 4 days now.  It happens randomly about 4 times an hour whether I'm lying down, sitting up, walking, bike riding it doesn't matter what I'm doing. I'm so glad I found this forum b/c I was starting to get worried, it's nice to know that several other people have this same experience.  Perhaps it is just a muscle spasm?  I don't drink coffee or tea, I don't have a history of heart disease or any other medical conditions that I'm aware of.  I don't take medication but I have been taking fiber pills and a liver detox pill, I believe it's mostly milk thistle, as a sort of mini-cleanse.  Have any of you been taking supplements?  I'm a 42 year old female.  Thanks!
i have been experiencing the vibration sensation in my chest for about two months , more on than off..or as i have described it to a couple of doctors as "I'm purring"  you know purring , like a happy cat..it only happens when lying down and wakes me from a sound sleep.  the first couple of times i couldn't figure out what was shaking the bed..i woke my husband to ask him if he could feel it.he could not and i think thought i was crazy..it was disturbing when i realized it was coming from inside me.  there is no pain,   but it was scary enough to get me to the md.. I have had all the usual heart check out tests and the only thing i know ..happily..is  that my heart is fine..i saw the cardiologist today he has no clue..he ordered a stress echo to rule out any angina as i do have occasional chest tightness but not with exertion just when sitting around doing nothing, so, that is probably a gastro issue  and suggested it could be an esophageal issue.".sort of a twitch as  it is a muscle" he said. like i said he doesn't have a clue.. i am a 58 yr old female..have no other health issues and take no prescribed medications,  menopause causes enough sleep issues by itself now i have this thing waking me up...I haven't found much info on this odd phenomenom but i'm glad to have found all of you folks..its nice to not be tired and frustrated alone..
I have been experiencing many of the same symptoms as listed above for the last two weeks. I am a 44 year old male with no previous history of heart issues except for an occasional flutter that would not last more than a minute. But for the last two weeks I have been having a jittery feeling, fluttering chest sensation (almost always while at rest or lying down) with a normal 56-64 heart rate (radial pulse), occasional dizziness that sometimes becomes almost a euphoric sensation briefly. Like many of you it often wakes me up in the middle of the night (like right now) and I have to get up to relieve the episode. Sometimes it feels as if there is fluid in my lungs as I experience a gurgling/crackling feeling while I breath. An additional symptom I have often following the flutter is frequent burping for 10 to 20 minutes after getting up. I am also much more tired than normal day-to-day but this may be due to interrupted sleep. I am normally a healthy, active fit person (marathon runner and swimmer) so this whole thing is baffling to me. I saw my physician yesterday and he is convinced it is stress related since my ekg shows nothing but I find this hard to believe. I did have a stressful family event but that was over a month ago and I do not feel I am still stressed about it but maybe this was the trigger. I thought it was a-fib but my physician said my radial pulse would match what I was feeling in my chest which it doesn't. I just wish I knew what this is. I want my sleep and my life back so I hope this will go away on its own without the need for medication.
I had the vibrating chest for a few months last year and it's back again this year.  It started again two months ago. It usually occurs when I want to go to sleep.  Yesterday, it felt like I was stepping on a buzzing cell phone and I had vibrations in my heel.  It is crazy and my doctor makes me feel like I've gone crazy.  She said that it's probably stress related.  I have acid reflux and have had several tests throughout the years, but they all come back fine.  I'm beginning to think that this is something that we just have to learn to live with until someday, some researcher will study this condition and find a cause and a cure.  Until then, we're not crazy!
The fact that Dillywilly said he took Lithium is what caught my eye. I use to. But anyways.. I dont know what is wrong with me.. My symptoms are similar but different. Its not really in my chest that im feeling this.. Its pretty much my whole body. Right when I'm slipping into a deep sleep I wake up shaking with my pulse hitting really hard and im kinda shaky. My pulse doesnt speed up, I dont think, it just hits hard. My hands shake and the only way to get it to stop is to get up and walk around. This usually happens about 3-4 times per night before i finally actually fall asleep. Even though im asleep i still wonder if its going on. I'm  while i'm sleeping. I'm also an Army Infantry Veteran so i wonder if its an adrenaline problem. I also drink pretty heavily and I know drinking dehydrates you. It could really be almost anything I suppose..
It feels kinda like anxiety or night terror but i think i start feeling like its anxiety after i realize what is happening.
I have no idea whats going on with me..
I'll probably see a doctor soon.. I read symptoms similar but no one ever posts a good answer.. only good questions..
if you think you have a good idea you can email me at ***@****
well.. im about to go try and get some sleep.. again.
I have entered the hell known as perimenopause with the scary occurances of heart palpitations. This has lead to a lot of anxiety, something I have not experienced before. This fear over heart palps has driven me to near insanity!! I learned from a site called "power surge" that this vibrating feeling can be menopausal. It is also a symptom of anxiety brought on by an overactive sympathetic nervous system. I too have had all the tests and my cardiologist has told me not to worry and that is hormone related for me. I haven't got to the not worrying part yet!! I had a relief in symptoms from acupuncture. I wish you all peace of mind and body!!
I've had a buzzing near my heart and I thought I had put my phone in my shirt pocket. This happened a few times a couple of days ago. It only seems to happen after I run down stairs. I didn't even think about it again until I told my brother about it today and he said it happened to him too about a year ago. And thanks to this forum and google I find that this may be a common thing. I'm going to the Dr. to see what's going on. I just don't know if this is an emergency or not. Can I wait two days till Monday to see a Dr. or should I walk into a Saturday night emergency room in Brooklyn where there are maybe people in greater need to see a Dr.
I have the same sensation.  It feels like a hamster running in my chest or a cell phone vibrating in my chest/stomach area.  I was doing some research and found that Esophageal spasms can cause these symptoms as well.  It is related to acid reflux which may explain why they are more common when people are resting or lying down.  I get these about every 6 month or so.  Mostly if I am not eating very healthy for a short period of time, like when I am travelling or if I am under more stress.  Sometimes they are painful and will give me bad headaches and chest pain that lasts for a few minutes.  Taking antacids usually helps the pain go away faster.  Also sometimes it feels like a really hard heartbeat and I have to cough to get rid of it.  I thought at first that I was having heart problems, even though I am 28,  healthy as far as I know and have no family history of heart disease/heart attacks.  Anyway, I was having the chest pain and tightness and spasms and went to the ER. Had EKG and blood tests done and found my heart was okay.  BP was a little high 140/85 but been under 128/65 for the last 6 months with diet and exercise.  These symptoms were really worrying me, giving me anxiety that I would have a heart attack etc.  Hopefully, this is what everyone else if having in lieu of heart problems.
I have these symptoms too.  I wake up at night and feel virbrating in my left ribs and under my chest where my heart is.  It stops after I'm up awhile.

I'm shocked it doesnt show on a ekg.  I never had a sleep study, so I can say for sure if i have apnea.  I did read an article about the muscle problem described in one of the posts, and it said lack of oxygen can cause it.  The lack of oxygen probably comes from sleep apnea most of the time.
i am a 55 year old man . for the last few weeks i have been having this buzzing in my left chest and sometimes in left neck. it seems to happen most when i try to relax. if i set real still i can see it in chest area. i have tried to get my wife to feel it with her hand or see the movement in my chest . she can;t feel or see it. i have acid reflux?? and take meds for that but no other meds. i have had two tias in the past but don;t think this is related to that. i now see i am not alone. a lot of you seem to be having the same thing. i have tried to take blood presure while it is happening but once i start moving around it seems to stop. should i be worried about this???
                thank you all
I am a 43year old male and for the last few weeks I have been getting this vibration which first was more prominent if i slept on 1 side - left i think, and if i turned to the right, it would stop.
It only happened at night. Last night it was worse and didn't go away, no matter which way i lay. I felt my heart and that was fine, it was just that there was a vibration in my chest for no apparent reason.
I just looked up this forum right now and am glad its not just me, and reading all the statements i think i know whats causing it for me. We have had an earthquake in Christchurch and aftershocks almost every single night. If i am awoken with a fright - like the sudden shakes of the aftershocks - my body floods with a bit a adrenalin - even though you are not intending to "fight or flee". You know you must just lie there till the aftershocks stop - but I think this continual high amount of adrenalin in the system is causing some muscles to vibrate. Not sure why just at night for me. Im not sure if it was the diaphragm but quite likely so - although there were no side effects. No breathing or heart side effects, just waking up from vibration. This has only happened since the earthquakes so im sure thats what it is.
I live in Masterton NZ - and last night at 4.10 I woke to a massive earthquake  - ah no - the bed is not shaking - it is inside me!!!  A giant squeeze then vibration - just like vibrating cellphone - very very strong. I was lying on my left side - unusual for me - what is this?? am I panicking? no - heart beat felt normal, breathing my normal rate - what is this? then it slowed and stopped. Lay there for ages - arms okay? yes - all is okay. Hmmm  - oh well off to work as usual - will look it up int he afternoon - and so here I am - googled heart shaking - and found this forum. So - it IS  a mystery then??? Couple of years ago had a mild TIA - left side head - carotid artery problem. This another problem?
I get this too, especially when I am startled from sleep or when I awake. Has anyone made any progress with what is the cause?
One more thing... me and my friend shared a bedroom for a while and he started getting these chest vibrations too...
I'm a 57 year old male with a history of hypertension on low dose atenolol (a beta blocker) and slightly elevated cholesterol. I have the same thing now, but it started differently.

I would wake from a sound sleep shivering and sometimes uncontrollably shaking with a shortness of breath (like I was freezing). It would take a minute or so before the shaking would subside and the breathing would return to normal as I began to feel normal and warmer.

I noticed that these episodes only happened when it was a bit cool or cold in the bedroom (I like a cooler room for sleeping) AND an arm was out of the cover. That arm would be cold to the touch. It never happened with both arms under the covers. I usually sleep on my side. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

It happened on and off (maybe once a month or less) for a few years during the colder months. Lately, I've been having an occasional vibration (almost like a purring or a cell phone on vibrate) radiating from under my lower sternum at the xiphoid process in the center of the chest. The vibration mimics the shiver frequency (about 200-300 beats per minute) that I was experiencing except there is no chill, shiver or change in breathing. I can breathe deeply with no unusual sensation. Originally, it only happened (or was noticed) when I was in bed, but now seems that I can sense it at other times. It can feel like a mild shiver one might experiences during times of high anxiety. In bed, it can be a significant vibration and I can make it diminish by slowly exhaling and calming myself. It will sometimes stop completely if I can forget about the phenomenon. As soon as I notice that it stopped, it comes back. An MD checked with an EKG while it was happening and said the heart is fine. He couldn't feel or hear the vibration although sometimes it is quite faint. I believe it is a muscle spasm in the diaphragm for some unknown reason. I now think the shivering episodes and the vibrations are related. I believe if I can fix the chest vibration problem, the shivering episodes will also end.

Thank you all for your contributions to this forum. It is a great help.
I have been reading everyones comments and found a few statements as to drinking more water and taking deep breaths of air. I have the same symptoms as everyone and wanted to see if this makes a difference, so far to date it has. I still have the problem, but I can get it under control quickly following the above advice. Anxiety or at rest seems to fuel it, it was interesting to hear that so many others have this issue. I also noticed that I am having more joint pain, anyone else seeing this?
My body is vibrating as I type. Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum, it is somewhat comforting to be in numbers for a change! My vibrating is the same as discribed above, left side of chest mostly and different parts of my body. From the last post I too have had joint pain (like arthritis) come and go. Maybe it could be viral!? I am a 42 year old female and this has been happening for a few months now and everynight (and day) for the past 4 weeks or so. As for the post on Dec 14 I too felt really cold (freezing) when I went to bed, but this only lasted a few days. I will try to drink more water and maybe start meditation for relaxation. There was also a comment made earlier about heat in the feet - I had a hot spot on one of my lower legs for a few days too.  I have been to too different doctors and had a chest xray and halter monitor (for the heart) and all is normal - a relief but still puzzled. My Dr.s have not heard of this before.  It is obvious that it is muscle related (nervous system perhaps). Am still on my quest to get an answer. I am living in Western Australia.
["I have been experiencing many of the same symptoms as listed above for the last two weeks. I am a 44 year old male with no previous history of heart issues except for an occasional flutter that would not last more than a minute. ***But for the last two weeks I have been having a jittery feeling, fluttering chest sensation (almost always while at rest or lying down) with a normal 56-64 heart rate (radial pulse), occasional dizziness that sometimes becomes almost a euphoric sensation briefly.*** Like many of you it often wakes me up in the middle of the night (like right now) and I have to get up to relieve the episode. ***Sometimes it feels as if there is fluid in my lungs as I experience a gurgling/crackling feeling while I breath.*** An additional symptom I have often following the flutter is frequent burping for 10 to 20 minutes after getting up. I am also much more tired than normal day-to-day but this may be due to interrupted sleep. I am normally a healthy, active fit person (marathon runner and swimmer) so this whole thing is baffling to me. I saw my physician yesterday and he is convinced it is stress related since my ekg shows nothing but I find this hard to believe. I did have a stressful family event but that was over a month ago and I do not feel I am still stressed about it but maybe this was the trigger. I thought it was a-fib but my physician said my radial pulse would match what I was feeling in my chest which it doesn't. I just wish I knew what this is. I want my sleep and my life back so I hope this will go away on its own without the need for medication."]

THESE ARE EXACTLY MY SYMPTOMS.  I GET THE SAME JITTERY, ELECTRIC FEELING IN BOTH SIDES OF MY CHEST, I GET DIZZY AND THEN I FEEL REALLY GOOD, THAT EUPHORIC FEELING. AND I GET THE GURGLING IN MY CHEST LIKE FLUID OR SOMETHING, AND I NEED TO CLEAR MY THROAT. ALSO MY SINUSES WILL START TO DE-CONGEST. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WHO HAD ALL THESE THINGS HAPPENING. YOU SIR HAVE WHAT I HAVE. STAY STRONG, I THINK ITS STRESS BECAUSE I HAVE A VERY HARD LIFE - GOD LOVES YOU, AND WE WILL FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS EVENTUALLY.
I've had this vibrating thing for many years now, it only occurs after a sleep, even if I only sleep for an hour. It last about 2 minutes then disappears. I have no discomfort with it, it feels like I've swallowed a mobile phone which is set on vibrate and someone is trying to ring me. Apart from the vibration in the chest, there are no other symptoms at all. I put it down to something happening during sleep, I know my heart rate gets quite low. My breathing is normal too. I've never considered it a problem or a worry, and until reading this thread, never even thought about it for years. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the handing over of control of the heart to another area of the brain. I read an article a while back which was about how the brain evolved. Apparently, the central core (primative brain) handles all our functions such as heart rate and breathing while we sleep. There are a few disorders where the handing over of the functions get a bit muddled, such as missing a breath and causing panic. When we wake, the functions are returned to the newer evolved areas of the brain again. Perhaps there's a moment where they are both trying to control things for a minute or so? Some people mention a crackling when they breathe, or a gurgling, but it is known in some people that the airways do collapse more than in others during sleep. This can be dangerous to some individuals, it depends how much they relax. It might be worth a couple of squirts of a asthma inhaler before going to sleep, this opens the airways for quite a while. I can't think of any reasons for the vibration in those who experience it while awake though. Perhaps it is a muscle spasm touching a nerve. I used to describe the sensation to my friends as shivering from the cold inside, but the outside of the body is still. They of course all thought I was nuts lol.
Hi all, this is Fluffy33 back again from Dec 21 post. Just giving you all an update on my vibrations. In the last few days my vibrations have pretty much stopped in the chest whilst resting/sleeping and now I experience a buzzing sensation in same location and other parts of body (a bit like too much coffee). Since experiencing the vibrations and being really quite concerned and loosing sleep I have stopped drinking acohol, coffee and less sugar. I have also just recently had a MRI on the brain - you guest it - normal! still bizarre! One part of me thinks it could be stress or anxiety, shock even - as I have had an event or two recently. Another part of me thinks Virus as my limph nodes where enlarged. Try this next time you wake up from the vibrations. Lie there without any thought, just drift and vibrations are there, now engage your brain, perhaps do a hard sum in your mind and the vibrations....do they go away?? relax and they come back again! Weird! This buzzing feeling though is there day and night.
To ed34 could you tell me where you got this info about the primitve brain handing over functions etc?
    Read the book "Journeys Out of the Body" by Robert Monroe published in 1971.  I began experiencing these vibrations in the mid 1970s and didn't have a clue about what was happening until I read his book.  You can also find a chat room or forum on the Internet concerning "vibrations and astral projection" or "vibrations and out-of-body experiences".  It is a SPIRITUAL experience.  I have experienced these vibrations throughout the years.  There is now a wealth of information on this subject  Again, this is a SPIRITUAL experience to be sure.   ................. Dean
I see some one posted  that they got the flu shot any one else get it before they started getting the strange vibrating feeling in there heart?  After I got my flu shot in Nov 20010 i have been going to the E.R. with this strange vibrating twitching feeling coming from the left side of my chest. I get it on and off during the day they did blood work ECG all was normal .

So what I did is buy a hand held ecg monitor that has 3 leads to see if I could catch one of this episodes . I wired myself and as soon as I was feeling the shaking coming on I ran it . It showed normal sinus rhythm no shaky line or nothing  could it be the flu shot or some thing else .I am hoping its just anxiety .
I too have been having these strange vibrations in my chest. Mine, thus far, have all been to the right of the breastbone at the top of the breast. It does feel like a cell phone vibrating or a mild shock of some sort. It doesn't hurt but is disconcerting. I have researched and found no clear answers. I am wondering if it could be something related to our use of technology - constantly being in contact with computers, cell phones, ipods, etc...perhaps we are upsetting the normal electical impulses in our body. The vibrations I have experienced have been any time of day or night and sitting up or lying down. The duration is 3-4 seconds at a time. It can occur every few minutes or go for hours without any at all. I have been experiencing them off and on all day today as I have been researching possible causes. I am a 48 year old female, type 2 diabetic (diet controlled), mild hypertension - taking a minimal dose of Altace/Ramipril along with Crestor to keep cholesterol low. I am interested to hear from others who have pursued medical intervention - has anyone gotten a plausible reason for the buzzing sensation?
What do you think of my theory about technology?
Some of the comments sound like they're referring to the same thing I'm experiencing. Others sound pretty far off. My bed does not feel like it's shaking, for example, however it does feel a little like the "purring" described by purringLADY. I had a heart attack nine days ago and had a stent (actually, I believe it was two stents) implanted in my left anterior descending artery the following day. I was not told if they are drug-eluding or not. Tonight, after going to bed, I began experiencing a vibration in my upper left chest. It is not related to my breathing, but does appear to be related to my heartbeat, with the vibration coming every other beat and lasting one second or less. My first thought was that one or both stents had or were migrating, but the medical websites I've visited so far say stents can't migrate. My only thought is that they are somehow vibrating as the blood flows through them and over the mesh. I've found this forum and one other single question from a man with the same symptoms and medical history as me. Unfortunately, I've found no websites that address the issue and, even more unfortunately, it appears physicians -- specifically, cardiologists -- are not inclined to answer any of the questions we're all having. If anyone gets a straight answer directly from a physician, please post it here. I have a follow-up appointment with my cardiologist in four days. I intend to ask him about it, and I'll post what I find out. Stay tuned.
I found out I have A Fib and tachycardia a few weeks ago.  My doctor put me on multaq and I did fine for 6 days, and then felt the vibrations, nausea and faint also heavy feeling in chest.  He took me off the multaq and put me on flecainide, and after 6 days, you guessed it, the vibrations, severe nausea and I again felt faint. Dr. then put me on propafenone 150MG, and I was sick from the first pill.  I know these are all symptoms of overdose, and also know that I cannot take drugs of any kind.  I never had the vibrations until I took the meds.  I am now back on flecainide, but only one 50MG pill a day.  I don't know if this is going to work or not, may go back into A Fib.  I do know that all of this is from the meds.  I read that some people are not on any medications and still get the vibrations,  so don't know what to think about that.  All I know is that it is frightening.  
Just wanna wade in to this aswell. Yesterday I started feeling these vibrations also. Its like the vibrations described before but mine buzzes for about a second, then stops for 2 seconds or so, then buzzes again for 1 second, and so on. I thought maybe a nights sleep would stop it, but its still there. It doesnt hurt in any way, and it feels just like any other muscles spasming. I had an ECG less than a year ago and the doctor said it was perfect. Im 27. Hopefully it will just stop on its own.
I'm a 50 yr old female with family history of heart disease but none for me to date.  I too, have been awakened by  a purring or vibration in my chest over my heart (exactly where I would place my hand to say the Pledge of Allegiance).  I had been sleeping while laying on my left side and it did indeed feel like a cell phone on vibrate.  The vibrations seemed to follow my breathing but continued when I held my breath.  I thought perhaps it might be stress related  or wondered if it might be realted to caffeine consumption.  Caffeine helps hold off migraines for me so I drink at least one 20 oz coke per day plus tea.  I've never heard anyone else mention this happening to them and I have been a regular visitor with my father this past year as he has had 3 heart surgeries/procedures and many of the patients share stories about symptoms and treatments while waiting on the doctor.  While it is comforting to know others have experienced the same symptoms it is alarming that there are no answers as to the cause/treatment.
I have this real light fluttering going on my left side of my chest, not on the top outside skin area, but seems like a nerve?  Doesn't hurt, just would like to know if I need to get checked.  
For some weeks I may not notice it much, then it comes back more strongly. The last week or so I have also been getting it when i lie on my back. Used to only get it when i lay on the left side.
It only happens some hours after going to sleep for me.
Last night it was getting pretty strong - so I took a disprin and it went away. Not sure how directly this is related.
I think I must drink more water and less coffee, and less sugar
Although the vibration is strong, right near or at the heart - there is no discomfort other than not being able to sleep.
Am under a bit of stress but not too bad.
Would love to get rid of these vibrations.
comforting to me to find this forum also.  I have this what I call "shaking" in my heart area almost every time I fall asleep.  Sometimes it wakes me up too.  Doc says it is common and nothing, but it is disturbing to me. Usually if I change positions, like from one side to another, it stops but I still don't like it.  I have gotten up and taken BP and check pulse and nothing seems abnormal, I just wish it would stop.  It is scary.
Are you still on plavix and crestor, i just started taking the same two meds and i have the vibrating all day and night?  Doctor says its not my heart? Never had this feeling before I started taking these two drugs.
I turned 45 today and I have been experiencing these flutters for about a month now.  My pulse is the same but i am have some chest pain.  Nothing that I would normally be concerned with because I have been told i have arthritis in my chest.  I am concerned because heart disease runs in my family.  I just wanted to see if I should have this checked.  Thanks for the the forum.  Now I dont feel like I am going crazy.
My vibration/buzzing in my left breast area began a couple of days ago. I have no medical history to speak of - in the past I have had a complete cardio workup, but like many of you all tests were negative. It also happens any time of day, no specific activity; haven't experienced any known night time problem in additon to my known perimenopausal symptoms at night where sleep is already a challenge for me.
After reading some of your comments about waking up to the bed shaking, I remembered that I have experienced that, but just thought I was having some kind of weird dream. Now I'm not sure what that was. My husband is a medical provider and I asked him if he's ever had a patient present with these vibration symptoms and he said he had heard of it, but just thought the person was crazy. Of course, I thanked him for his wonderful insight :-)  
Oh, there it goes again (the vibration). Anyway, based on what I've read here, I will drink more water and breathe deeper (take in more oxygen).
Thanks for all of the great posts about this issue. 30yo male here, experiencing these symptoms. They have been occurring for around a year. Thought I was having a cardiac episode the first few times, went to the hospital, had EKGs, blood tests, x-rays, everything they'd let me do. they found nothing at all related to my heart.

I was told it must be stress, anxiety, or consuming too much chocolate & caffeine (one possible diagnosis was that it may be acid reflux)

So here I sit, and I just had another bout today. Sometimes it last an hour or so, but currently I am about 20 hours in and it has been happening almost non-stop. My current spell seemed to begin after I had a small coffee (was rather strong coffee) and some eggs/hash browns/turkey sausage from Whole Foods. Not the healthiest meal, but could have been worse... still, I'm regretting it.

I don't *KNOW* that it is food related, but I tend to notice it after meals.

If I lay on my back it tends to not happen, if I lay on my left side, it calms after a short while but does not completely go away. If I stand and walk it is also lessened. If I lay on my right side it will go into a fit.

I take solice in your posts hoping that it is not life-threatening. All I can do is try to relax and wait for it to pass.
Mine have gone down in frequency. I was put on nexium for acid reflux . I was having the vibration feeling for months . My heart would feel like it was shaking all the time . I also cut down on spicy wich  also helped .
41 year old female. I have been having this exact thing off and on for at least 6 months. I have been diagnosed with GERD and also during this time I had to be treated for Hpylori and have my Gallbladder removed. I strongly feel like it is related to GI issues and possibly some Vagus nerve connection.

I also have hormone imbalance issues and know there could be a possible connection with that.

Have woke thinking my dog was panting heavily and shaking the couch/bed but nope it is always inside my body and my BP and heart rate is fine.

Odd it ALWAYS happens when I nap on the sofa, upon waking and on occasion sometimes when I am drifting off at night in bed.

With a couple of procedures under my belt recently I know my heart must be okay because of the various EKG and of course they monitored everything during two bouts of being under anesthetic. I originally mentioned this to my Doctor about 8 weeks ago right before my GB surgery and she wanted to wait to see if that helped clear it up. Pretty sure I will get the old "do you want an ssri" if I go in with this issue again.

I keep trying to remember that it hasn't killed me yet and probably won't but it is still scary at the moment it is happening.
A similar "chest vibration" started one night in the center of my chest as I laid down to bed and it was nearly continuous for 2 weeks.  I went to the ER and they found nothing except being low in potassium.  I saw my pulmonologist and he didn't know anything.  It was like a snoring sensation or a cat purring.  Very unsettling.  I know that it could start back up at anytime and I dread it.  I did feel better, however knowing that others have experienced this.  I don't know why doctors don't know anything about this.
You might find a clinical discussion of this phenomenon at:  
i have a vibration in my heart that makes me cough unproductivly all night long and when i do get to sleep it is only for about 2 hours a night i feel tired and dizzy my face feels numb and i have ganed 20 pounds kinda scared dont know what 2 do.p.s. i am 42 years old dont drink or smoke
I am relieved to see just how common this is.  Both my husband and myself suffer from AFib and are on most of the usual medications.  We both have chest vibration or buzzing sensations quite often.  At first it was most alarming, but we are now of the opinion that these have no real significance as the heartbeat is unaltered (although it doesn't feel like it at the time) and is probably a result of medication side effects.  It is a very odd feeling but does no harm if the heart rate stays the same.
I have had the buzzing, vibrating sensation on the left side of my chest for a couple of years now. Some weeks will go by without the symptom, then I will have it a couple of times a night for several weeks. I only experience this at night while sleeping. That is, the sensation wakes me up. Once awake, if I move at all, the vibration will cease. My pulse is always normal (49-59 BPM). Like many of you, I have explained the condition to my cardiologist several times and have had a couple of types of monitors. The monitors were functioning while I was having an event. They have never found any heart condition. An echo-cardiogram proved uninteresting as well. I exercise most every day--running, biking, tennis. Have no cardio family history, am slim, eat very healthily. I have coffee in the morning only and a beer at night. No abuse of either one. It is very frustrating waking up with this. It disturbs my sleep which down the road could certainly effect my over all health. My sense is that it is a muscle spasm of some sort. I do find that my heart beat while not elevated nevertheless beats hard during these episodes and tends to skip.
I have this same vibration going on, and I do drink coffee, and do not take supplements anymore, or detox. It happens to me anytime as well. I thought it might be my reflux causing it. I dont usually have stress, but have had some lately. I also have indigestion lately. I started taking my sublingual B-12 again, but cant imagine that causing anything. Its all crazy to me too.
Ive been experiences these vibrations for 15 years!  The doc has not sent me for any tests on my heart (I'm 46) and gave me anti depressants (Citlopram)  sometime I can go 6 months without any sensation.  I find I get in when I'm coming down with a virus or something and its in the night. I wake up with it.  Its disturbing and I can sometimes get a mild ache in my back/chest the next day and also my breast bone has felt bruised occasionally. It really bothered me to start with but now I just accept it but I am soooo please to come across this forum!  Sounds awful but I'm gald I'm not alone here!
Hello All,

I too get these vibrations. Started after i had a concussion followed by intense anxiety. I think the anxiety caused something to happen with my nerves. I am over most symptoms now except vibrating is still there. I believe it is to due with the Vagus nerve being out of whack somehow. The vagus nerve passes from your head down chest to abdomen and and cause sensations in any of these areas.  Read this post about it a bit down the page by 6kidmom.

http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=600184
This buzzing in my chest began a couple of weeks ago. The first time it happened, it woke me up in the middle of the night and I thought I was dying. Since then, it's come and gone, day and night, but mostly at night. I, too, sit up until it passes, then go back to sleep.

One evening, last week, when I was feeling particular unwell over it (I'm sure my worrying makes it worse than it it) I went to the ER. They did all kinds of tests and found nothing wrong with my heart. I couldn't even describe to feeling to them very well. We discussed panic attacks, but I'm now convinced it is not that.

I don't drink, smoke, drink coffee, take any meds and eat a pretty healthy diet - no flour, no sugar.

I am paying attention to what I'm eating, though, to see if I'm allergic or sensitive to any certain foods. Last night was the first in a couple of weeks I've slept through the night without an episode.

I did take a tsp of baking soda (no aluminum) before I went to bed, as I'm educated in alkalizing my body to relieve dis-ease. I have yet to see if that will help this unnerving, to say the least, condition long term.
I just got home from the hospital. Went to E.R. yesterday because of vibrations in my chest on the left side. I thought it was a possible heart attack. Drs ran various test on my heart and they all were normal. They checked for possible blood clots in my lungs as well and everything was normal. Although a couple of blood test showed slight abnormality further testing says I'm ok. The chest vibrations are still going on and they are frustrating and very uncomfortable. All that done and STILL no answers. The only plus is that now I see that I'm not alone.
I'm geting flutting as well and skip beats
I have just recently stated getting the vibrations.  They do not wake me up and they occur anytime, laying down, sitting, working, relaxing.  The vibration happens around my ribs on the left side.  I do have GERD so after reading some of this, it sounds like it could be a cause.  I also do not drink nearly enough as I should, so I will start the water and see if that helps.  
This site is great, please keep sharing your stories!!!  
I'm a 31 year old male who suffered a spontaneous collapsed lung on my left side when I was 23.  Went on with life then discovered I have Complex Pulmonary Artereo - Veinus  Malformation.(Artery-Vein Malformation) at 28.  I have 3 major malformations in my chest; one is near my aorta, the second one comes from my DIAPHRAGM near the abdomen, and the third is on the left side of my chest near the rib cage.  I got these malformations from "trauma suffered during the collapsed lung, and possible from the surgery the doctors did to fix this.
The vibration happens on the left side of my chest, usually near the rib cage, when I'm at rest, lying down, or relaxing on the couch.  I have noticed during periods of exercise or deep breathing I tend to not have the sensation.  Standing also helps.  The doctors tried to tell me that I have relief  "because I wasn't thinking about the pain or sensation when I'm active."   I am guessing I have pain with it because of nerve damage from surgeries.  You can also see my left pectoral and abdomen twitch.  I only recently started to have migraines and a pins and needles effect in my feet.  I'm not sure if its related.  I also get the bed shaking feeling.
  I go to the Mayo Clinic for my care and they tried punting me to "closer clinics", or giving me vague answers that mean they don't know.  They've been reluctant to fix the malformation near my abdomen because "it's not life threatening."    Not sure if it's insurance related.  I've been trying to get on disability for three years because of the pain.  Of course, all the heart and stress test I did there came back normal.  Doesn't show up on a test, I must be crazy??
  I hope this information helps someone and am hoping if and/or when I can get the AVM from my diaphragm fixed, the twitching in my chest will go away.
OMG I am just happy I am not alone! I have experienced the vibration sensations on and off for over a year. Pulse always normal. Day or nighttime doesn't matter. Thought I was losing my mind. I do have MVP and a heart murmur. There is a family history of some heart problems. Usually if I get up from whatever I am doing and walk around for 5 to 10 minutes it will stop. Mine does not seem to have anything to do with stress. While I am stressed I don't have them, which is good because I would probably have a full blown panic attack. Thank you so much for all these post. It actually made me feel a lot better about it (especially the doctor that posted). Hopefully some day they figure it out.
The heart flutters are really scary, but not dangerous at all.

Do you still go for annual Echo's for your MVP?
I have these all the time sometimes it's debilitating mentally. I'm having a few right now. Take magnesium 500mg twice a day and do not drink any caffeine or alcohol for this will trigger it more. Stay away from sugar and make sure you see a doctor to rule out any serious danger, if you start getting chest pain go straight to ER but first take an aspirins this could save your life. Could very we'll be spasms but remember your heart is a muscle and it's like that it will spasm from time to time. If your magnesium deficient you will have spasms in your legs, eyes and yes in your heart. A blood test will not show your magnesium deficient because your body will take from where ever it can to find a way to keep your heart functioning this is why your eyes twitch or your leg or your heart. Get some magnesium in your body, take a salt bath using Epsom magnesium sulfate. Cranberry juice is another trigger for heart Palputations and flutters. Blood thinners like warfarin is another heart fluttering medicine. For me if my blood is too thin my heart will begin to flutter 750 in one week when I was one warfarin, I had to get off or die. Sorry I walked off the topic here. I hope you're all doing better, please be safe and conscientious about your health.
I've been having vibrations in my chest, but more on the right side. I've just had a complete cardiac workup and they say the heart is fine. My concern is that I find it hard to deep breathe when it's happening. Breathing is shallow and almost have to make a conscious effort to do it.
At one time I was told I had an elevated diaphragm; and although they thought it was important enough to mention, they didn't think it was important to find why and what effect is what having if any.
does this sound familiar to anyone?
I think I'm experiencing this too, scary.  40 year old female.  I did have more than normal caffeine today and I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with indigestion too.  I seem to be burping more but it could be the anxiety that this brought on.  I feel the vibrations in my arms too when I'm laying down, I have to change positions.  Makes me feel like a nervous Chihuahua.
I have gotten those occasionally, never really afraid of them bc I just thought of it as a weird spasm like a shiver or "pins-and-needles."
But I did got to a Naturopath who said that my diet - although generally healthy - wasn't right for my blood type and therefore the foods I was eating were clogging my blood in different places- not blood clots, but clumps where the blood cells agglutinated bc of lectins being registered as foreign species in my bloodstream, and thus attacked upon entry. So I think the bubbling or "buzzing" erratic movements are caused by blood flowing in places where it is agglutinated and too thick to pass through normally: fights to get past the blocks and therefore ends up sometimes stretching skin outward to get past. If its happening around your heart mainly, not your pulse, then that's a strong sign that it is not heart/pulse problems, but very possibly agglutination of red blood cells or other types of clogging in the blood stream. (Note: agglutination is not the same thing as gluten, only means coagulation and congealing; so red blood cells are like an almost-solid mass, making blood flow difficult.)
It makes sense that dehydration would exacerbate it; I've had that before and I think it's because water will dilute the blood and help it flow faster and easier, also keeping you healthier and immune system strong so better able to fight off the "foreign" objects entering the bloodstream. Without enough water, blood runs thickly and more difficult to get past the areas of agglutination. (Sorry I know I said that already, but I just thought I'd repeat it here for illustrative purposes.) Also if you're hydrated you think better and aren't as likely to panic, so that's probably another indirect reason for why it's easier for you to handle it when you're hydrated. And then there's also the fact that you aren't as likely to experience that when you've had enough water, bc your blood will be thin enough to flow easily.
Do you ever get auras/fainting/dizzy spells when you're less-than-adequately-hydrated? That could be another indicator.
Have had these for decades. I always think of it as a sudden burst of coca-cola fizzing in my chest. Happens anytime but not while sleeping. Lasts two or three seconds and I can't breathe until it passes. My doctor thinks it's a slight build up of blood in one chamber of the heart which suddenly releases and causes that sensation. She says it's harmless, but I do wonder. I also have a supposedly harmless heart murmur.
Aug. 14 2014  - Still having the vibrations, has been worse since June.  Doctor can't find anything yet, I have a irregular heartbeat at night but she didn't think it was dangerous.  Doctor put me on mild metaprolol to see if it will help.  So far I don't notice any change..it just happens some nights & some nights it don't.  Does happen on occasion during the day but not usually.  Frustrating & annoying.