chest xray
I'm 41 yrs old.  Gained a lot of weight over the past 2 to 3 yrs.  I'm having problems with shortness of breath that seems to come when I'm just walking outside walking or going some place.  It's usually from the pressure that  I feel in the upper abdomen center under my breasts.  Like pit of my stomach.  I have a lot of back pain radiating to the right sometimes very often.  Also, radiates to the right flank.  I have history of GERD (I'm taking PPI's), also, thyroid problems (taking synthroid).  Had an endoscopy recently, have mild gastritis, have had this problem for a long time.  

My doctor has looked at these results and said I don't need CT scan, that many people have this and its not a big deal.  Please explain the results to me and tell me if doctor is correct.  Why I'm not sure about doctors decision is that I keep complaining about a lot of pains and shortness of breath for a long time now and he can't find anything wrong with me.  I made an appointment for 2nd opinion next week.  

Results of Chest X Ray were:

The examination demonstrates the trachea to follow the midline.  The mediastinum is normal in appearance on both sides.There is a fullness of the right hilar region most likely relating to a tortuous arch of the aorta.  A CT scan would aid in further evaluation in this regard.  The left hilum is unremarkable.  The heart size is not enlarged.  The parenchymal lung fields are free from infiltrate, effusion, or atelectasis.

IMPRESSION:  Equivocal appearance of the right hilum which may relate to a tortuous aorta; however, a CT scan is recommended for further evaluation in this regard.

Thank you I appreciate any advice....
Hi there!

Well, an x-ray does not provide a very detailed view to comment specifically. While the radiologist has described the possibility of an abnormal shadow which could be related to an abnormality in the aorta, nothing can be specifically commented on based on the x-ray alone and hence further investigations studies such as the CT have been suggested. At this stage it would be too soon to worry.
Hope this is helpful.

Take  care!
Depending on how overweight you are, your symptoms when exercising could be attributable to the amount of excess work required for you to walk.  Sometimes back problems are due to belly weight.  I think a big belly can aggravate GERD, too.  If you are only slightly overweight, then it seems like there must be something else to account for your symptoms.  But if you are greatly overweight, then losing weight will probably help.