Heart Disease Community
cholesterol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

cholesterol

I am 55 and 6 months ago I had blood work; total cholesterol 236, HDL 68, LDL 148.4, Triglycerides 98. I have good BP and I weigh 95-98 pounds. I am an RN, a nursing  home administrator and exercise instructor--I am on the move and do all out exercise 1.5 to 2  hours per day 6-7 days per week. From Spring through fall I add distance bicycling (40 to 80 miles at a session) and golf  pulling the clubs, in addition to the exercise workout. I eat no dairy unless it is nonfat plain yogurt or egg substitute and I eat no meat except occasional chicken and at that much less than 3 ounces at a time. I have increased my fiber. I eat a lot of raw vegetables and beans, oatmeal, etc. At the time of the blood test I had been consuming things over a period of 6 months that I normally wouldn't in an attempt to gain weight--snacks or dessert that had more fat than I normally would eat, but not cholesterol. My message from my PCP was to go on a "very strict low fat diet" and repeat bloodwork in 3 months. I commenced to adding increased fiber and am watching everything that I eat but why didn't she look at the ratios, etc. Are my labs that bad? How long does it take to show up in the blood if you are eating incorrectly over time? I am naturally eating strict low fat, how can I not eat fat and maintain my weight? I use olive or canola oil sparingly unless I pop popcorn. At the time of the bloodwork I was also diagnosed with a slight tricuspid regurg secondary to increased stoke volume and cardiac output. Help! I really thought I was taking care of myself with diet and exercise! My mom had high cholesterol but she was obese and sedentary her entire life. HELP and when do you think I should get blood work again? I don't want her to put me on statins!! HELP, please!--I take no meds only omega 3--1 gram daily and vit c. Thanks
You numbers are not horrible, but your LDL should be under 130 so it's high. I would certainly start with diet but it sounds like you're doing everything you need to. Perhaps your mother's high cholesterol was genetic and not related to her weight and those genetics are catching up to you. If you can't control your LDL by diet and exercise then a statin may be necessary. I would retest in 3 months to make sure it's not a fluke, if still high I would do it again in another 3 months. If it's still high I would consider a statin.

Good luck!

Jon
The only thing that is high is the LDL.  You should try to get it down to 100 especially if there is any heart problems in the family.  Reading over your comment, I am concerned about what you are doing for your bones.  Are you taking calcium and vitamin D?  Our whole entire side of my mom's family had and has heart disease.  My mom's parents both had heart disease and it goes as far back in the geneology as we can see.  My relatives have been scared to eat dairy products and as a result they have severe osteoporosis.  In some cases, it is so bad that the doctors cannot even do open heart surgery because the chest bones would crumble.  Do you drink soy products?  If the LDL does not come down, you will most likely have to try a statin.  You may not have to take the normal recommended dose.  With some people all they need is a tiny bit of the statin pill.  My father is taking only a chip of the Lipitor his doctor prescribed and his cholesterol is staying at LDL 79.  Another really good supplement to take is Lecithin because it makes the arteries slippery.  If the arteries are slippery, then the cholesterol most likely will not be able to stick.  Your HDL is really great!  Wish mine were that high.  It sounds like you feel really good to be able to do all those activities.  I am not doing close to what you are doing as far as exercise and I am only 44.  Keep up the healthy eating habits and staying active is the best for your heart.