cholestrol and statins
My total cholestrol is 233
LDL = 170
HDL = 74
Tri =56

My doctor wants to put me on statins. I'm opposed.
Any opinions with these numbers?
peter r
I a similar overall cholesterol number before statins.  One difference was my HDL was quite a bit lower and less than acceptable.  Diet and exercise didn't seem to help much.  Even though my overall numbers with statins was 137, my cardiologist wanted me to double my lipitor to 40mg/day to try to get even lower.  I had my blood tested today, and my overall cholesterol was 113--with an LDL of 66 and HDL 33.
After reading Arthur Agatston's book, "The South Beach Heart Program," I decided that aggressive prevention of heart disease is for me.  I seem to tolerate the statins quite well (Lipitor).  
The research is very strong about the benefits of statins as a preventative of heart disease.  If you are one of the rare few that don't tolerate statins, good monitoring should catch it before problems arise and you can stop taking the medication.  
I'm taking a blood test next week and have been taking statins.  20 mg I'm not tolerating the statins too well .I have pulled muscles in my lower calf twice since taking the statins (6 weeks so far) and am achy after a short bike ride.
I'll post the results. Afterwards I think I will plead with the doctor to take me off the statins so long as my HDL is high.
I have had my blood tested only twice in my life. 5 years ago HDL was 94. Without much exercise and no alcohol my HDL was 74.
Thanks, Peter r
It is good you are staying on top of this.  You are very fortunate to have high HDL.  If you need to back off the statins, ask your doctor about niacin.  It is effective in reducing cholesterol in some people, but different people can get vastly different results. Many don't benefit at all.  
Also, there is good research on red rice yeast.  You might do a google search and learn more.  
My husband recently had bloodwork with his numbers being:
Total-251
LDL-171
HDL-54
Trig-104

His mom and younger sister (both thin as is he) both have total cholesterol over 300.  It seems to be hereditary.  Our diet is pretty good although he doesn't exercise much.

When these numbers are high genetically, do they require the same aggressive treatment approach?  His grandparents lived well into their 80's and died of other causes.

My husband is very opposed to meds too.
I agree with Sweetwaterguy.  I was opposed to cholesterol drugs, too.  I decided to get my cholesterol down with diet and exercise, my HDL/LDL ratio raised to 3:1, but a heart attack plus lots of stents changed my mind. I didn't tolerate Crestor, but Lipitor works perfectly well, and I regret deeply being so pig-headed about statins before the blockages began.   I would urge anyone with high cholesterol to take it very, very seriously, insist on regular blood tests and stay on top of your health.  
After 6 weeks on 20mg simvastatin
total cholestrol  167
ldl  78
hdl 81
trig  32

The medicine obviously works.
peter r