Heart Disease Expert Forum
closed stent

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

closed stent

I had a stent close and caused another heart attack, the dr did a cath and said that it had closed but did nothing for it. I dont understand why it was so important to put a stent in the first time why they did nothing the second time. I still get arm pains if i do to much.I have had 2 heart attacks and which neither showed on ekg just bloodtest. So now when I get the pains I dont know if I should go to Dr or not. The dr said that the  new arteries or capillaries would grow and feed that part of the heart. I actually think it is because I have no health insurance but could be wrong. I am 36 and my mother got a pacemaker at 52 and would like to prevent this, just really need some answers.Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Some times when a blood vessel narrows slowly over time (weeks to months, for example), the body develops tiny vessels from affected neighboring vessels to help out -- theses vessels are called collaterals.  I believe your doctor was referring to the fact that your body has had time to developed collaterals, therefore it might not be necessary to open up an occluded stent.  Of course some times collaterals are present but inadequate, especially during exertion.  I recommend getting a copy of the catheterization images and obtaining a second opinion with another cardiologist.  Good Luck!
I have had multiple stents inserted.  Sometimes they close up.  Sometimes I get lucky and it can be easily rectified without having to place another stent in place.  It's extremely important to take your meds and follow the instructions from your doctor on a healthy diet and exercise.  Heart disease will be degenerative if you don't follow treatment completely.  Right now, I'm 50 and can't load my dishwasher without taking a break in the middle to allow my heart to calm down and catch my breath.  I'm med resistant.  Any time you start having pain that is indicative of a heart incident, go directly to the ER.