Heart Disease Expert Forum
congintally corrected transposition of the great arteries

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have just been diagnosted with congintally corrected transpotion of the great arteries. I am 35 years old. My right ventrical has started to enlarge and tri cuspid valve has some regurgeitation. IS surgery a option? What is the normall route of treatment? Should I have a heart catherization? Can you help me with a cardiologist in the Dallas, Tx area that would be familiar with this condition? How quickly does this progress after the heart starts to enlarge? Is heart transplant the only option available at this time.
mike,

Congenitally corrected transposition results from a rare defect where the pumping chambers of the heart are reversed. The right ventricle pumps blood to the body while the left ventricle pumps blood to the lungs.  

A lot of times since blood is bumped to the right places, cTGA is missed until adulthood. Since the right ventricle is not really equiped to pump blood to the higher pressures of the body as oppesed to the lower pressures in the lungs, problems with the right ventricle occurs over time.  Often this is due to deterioration of the tricuspid valve.

If caught early, the tricuspid valve can be repaired surgically.  However, if the right ventricle is markedly damaged then transplantation may be the repair option of choice.  There is no hard rule for progression, but once RV dysfunction or significant tricuspid valve dysfunction is present, you should probably move for treatment.

Either way you should have your evaluation at a center that sees this often.  While I'm not familiar with specific cardiologist in the area, UT Southwestern should have a pediatric or adult congenital cardiologist that should be able to help with your evaluation.

Hi there,

You might like to look for a cardiologist who specializes in adult congenital heart defects. I can send you a link to a support group for adults with congenital heart defect and hopefully someone there can help you out.

***@****