Heart Disease Community
coronary heart disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

coronary heart disease

Ihave chf and was told I need an ICD.   I do not want to have this just yet.
Is itreally necessary?
pgy13
Depends.  Do you prefer to live or die??
you can’t simplify it like that .
Hi pg13, No , I don't believe it would save your life , could  prolong it, but more people talked in to as many it needs. What changed your mind about it? I thought you decided not to get it for now.
Can't remember your EF. Was it very low?
So what has happened in the last two weeks to cause your worry again?  While Vienna touts the lack of necessity to have an ICD, remember, the lack of necessity is for HER body.  Things that work for some will not work for others.  If I recall, you have a mid 20s EF, CHF and have had at least one heart attack. Listen carefully to the doctor's advice.  Bring all the questions you ask here to the Dr.  I sure didnt want to have the surgery or cost involved but can honestly say it has tremendously improved my state of health.  It also improved my mental state giving  that cushion of relief knowing that I have backup in case something drastic were to occur.  In the end, it is your choice.  
My dad also has CHF and was advised to get an ICD.  He went ahead with the surgery when the doctor explained that new studies have determined that people with low ejection fractions are more likely to suffer sudden cardiac death.  Other than feeling a sort of hiccup in his abdomen (that only happens to some people), he is not bothered by the ICD at all.  He has had it for nearly one year, and it has not gone off.  But, he knows it's there, if he needs it.  The doctor said it's like an insurance policy - very nice to have if you need it.
Sorry to say, Jim it pretty good.  Almost word for word what I was told by a cardiologist and an EP doctor.  Vienna is wrong because an ICD WILL save your life if and when you go into SCD.  

Look up MADIT II trials on google.  Talk to your doctor and get it done.
I checked your earlier posts:

EF 25 %...NO shortness of breath," my heart rythm is normal, so far. I’m not having any other complications right now, "

.I just hate to see an other victim to fall for the greedy business of expensive devisees.

Maybe you needs it, maybe not; doctors are pushing the darn expensive ICD's. I would wait and see, what will happen on medication, and on heart healthy lifestyle.

I went from 20% to normal as I posted it few times :) I am sure many people could of, but because they got it, praise it.  During 2 years WITHOUT IT I just got better and better not only the EF went normal, but after 4 years even  soon  I will go back to work for an addition to that job I already do from home. I feel perfect.

Please be sure you want it ,don’t get it because others telling you  should, also don’t listen me :)…it must be your decision. Read everything you can read , get copies all your exams go word by word read, google….spend weeks, months if you need, ask for an other ultrasound ,I had 5. The second was 2 months after dx the third 3 months after the first  then only yearly. It got better and better…

Good luck to you remember it must be your decision, based on your knowledge on the subject, we are just a few people here say pro or contra, that’s not enough, the interest of the DR also to give you one. I am Canadian, less people will get it her unnecessarily. I bet if I was in the states I had one by now, after my EF was 20 %.

Let us know, be smart.
I am going to be as blunt as jim was:

How many people who have had a needed shock from the ICD told us about how it save thier life?
How many people who have needed a shock but have no ICD have we even heard from?