Heart Disease Expert Forum
corrected transposition of ventricles

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

corrected transposition of ventricles
I have corrected transposition of the heart ventricles and my heart is enlarged. I have been told I will probably need a pacemaker in the next few years. Can you explain a little more about the condition and what to expect in the future.

Dear Carol,
When the heart is developing it rotates about its axis by 180 degrees leading to a right ventricle and a left ventricle.  Normally the right ventricle pumps blood through the lungs and the left ventricle through the rest of the body.  In some people the heart does not rotate so that the left is on the right and visa-versa.  This is called "transposition" of the ventricles.  There must be a right to left shunt somewhere in the system when the baby is born or else survival is not possible because blood is not going through the lungs.  

Surgery to correct the problem must be done very early in life.  There are several ways of correcting the problem and the basic concept is to allow blood that has been through the body to also go through the lungs to receive oxygen.  Pumping blood through the body causes the right ventricle to grow larger.  I'm nopt sure why you need a pacemaker but you may have some heart block associated with the underlying condition or due to the surgery to correct it.
I have been told by my Dr. that i have a large Heart: I also have high blood presure. I dont smoke: I been told that my lunges are very bad :doctors said I inherited bad lungs from my mother : I am 60 years old. My husband don"t smoke: I had a minnie stroke in July I worry alot because i can no longer work. My husband had a double by pass in august. He is 67 and had supplement insurance form medicare. I go to county hospital and don"t seem to get many answer. I have other problems I just don"t tell them because i don"think they would understand.