coughing after valve repair surgery
My 13-year-old son had pulmonary valve replacement (through open heart surgery) on June 19th of this year.  Since the surgery, he has had an annoying cough that sometimes gets in the way of him talking and prevents him from falling asleep and staying asleep.  It is a dry cough which seems to originate in his throat, not deep at all.  The doctors say this is "normal," but I'm not so sure.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Thanks
My dad had open heart surgery at age 84 for the replacement of two valves and the repair of one. Surgery was on June 25th.  He is coughing so bad that he can't carry on a simple conversation.  It is now causing him the most discomfort and much concern for the rest of us.  Chest x-ray did not show anything and he is now at home recovering and coughing just as much as in the hospital.