Heart Disease Expert Forum
coxsackie b virus

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

coxsackie b virus

is there a site or information regarding coxsackie b virus.  My husband caught this and it attacked his heart, causing myocarditis, and --heart failure.

They say you can only catch it from a person, but he was around filthy conditions where rats even were found dead--and not from traps or poison......raw sewage, animal feces (to the point of the building being condemned).

Please advise.
People and not rats are the usual transmitters of cocksackie virus, which may have caused your husband's myocarditis. I say this because in all likelihood there is no direct evidence that it was cocksackie virus that caused it, and only serological evidence. There is no specific treatment for this disorder, apart from standard CHF treatment including beta blockers,  ace inhibitors and is symptomatic diuretics.
Hi, you responded to a post.  I need some clarification.
I never stated that you can catch the disease from a rat.  I stated that the conditions were so filthy, even rats did not survive, meaning FILTHY CONDITIONS.  

Considering that the Coxsackie B virus is rarely reported as it attacks the heart in only 1% ot those that catch it, and it is rarely diagnosed--and if you die from it, you are listed as dying from an enlarged heart.--there is little research on the subject, due to lack of funding.

The CDC still quotes literature frorm the 80's , and 90's.  30 year old data.  A lot has changed in 30 years with medical research.

If I am wrong, please advise.  Just curious, why did you assume I said he caught it from a rat?
There are medical sites that state you can contract Coxsackie B from raw sewage.  Where can I find more information on this?

Thank you
It was confirmed by seriologica evidence, infact, two strains of the coxsackie b were cited.
The Coxsackie B viruses are members of the enterovirus genus and are the most common agent for myocarditis and dilated cardiomyopathy constituting 50% of infections. The group coxsackievirus was named because these viruses were pathogenic for infant mice and because the first virus of this type was isolated from a patient from the town of Coxsackie New York.

Coxsackie B infection is characterized by fever, fatigue, malaise and chest pains. Infection of the heart by a coxsackie B virus can lead to viral myocarditis. Viral myocarditis is a inflammatory disease of the heart which can result in heart failure. Although the disease does not usually cause death, there is a 20% incidence of reoccurrence and permanent heart damage typically results.
?
this means virus is just dormant and sometime in lifetime it might reoccur and infect others as well or is it that the person that got over the virus is possible contagious from then on(not only in period of reoccurence)?
There are  other ways to contract the coxsackie b virus--can catch from dog feces as indicated in Medical Textbook Internal Medicine, 15th edition chapter 250 pages 1482-1593
........"enteroviruses are spread from person to person directly, although enteroviruses have been isolated from flies, cockroaches, food naturally exposed to flies, DOG FECES, and a number of other vehicles......."

The actual medical textbook reference may help more that the opinions of anonymous posts.
It goes into more detail.