d-transposition of the great vessels
My nephew was born on Wednesday. He was rushed to a hospital two hours from where he was born because "his arteries going to and from the heart were switched." That's what I was told. After doing a bit of research, I'm guessing what he has is d-transposition of the great vessels. He underwent 8 hours of surgery today to correct the problem. My question, and the worry that I have, is what is the usual prognosis for this? From the news I received today, the surgeon was confident that everything went well and my nephew is listed as stable. My worry is, what will happen to him later in life? Now that the problem has been corrected will he be able to function and play as a normal child would? I'm just looking for something general here. It's been a roller coaster of a week for my family.
I don't have any recent personal experience but I did get to work with some kids with this type of problem way back in the very early seventies.  The prognosis after surgery was pretty good even way back then (assuming they got to the regional pediatric surgery center quickly enough).  I'm sure there have been advances in the past forty years that make the outlook even better now.

It sounds like the hospital did an excellent job of identifying your nephew's problem and getting him to the proper experts.  Congratulations on his birth.  Here's hoping he will continue to grow strong and add much joy to your family.
Thanks so much for your reply. I just spoke with my brother and he said the little guy had a good night, is still stable.There's a ton of good information out here on the net, but reading the technical stuff and hearing about some sort of real life experience are two different things. Thanks again :)
Sure thing.  I wish some else with specific real life experience would chime in.  Maybe on the peds forum?

I'm glad to hear he continues to do well.  I imagine the hardest thing will be for Mom and Dad to try to relax about his heart health anytime soon - no matter how good the doctor says things are.  It must have been so hard on Mom to have had her just born sent so far away from her right out of the gate.  I sure hope this isn't her first.

Continued good luck to you.
I have 'real life' experience with this...my son also had d-TGA and underwent multiple surgeries to correct him as his diagnosis was late.

In general, there are a few 'side effects' of the arterial switch, most occur as the child ages and most common is aortic root dilation. This is monitored via ECHO studies. Usually, significant regurgitation requiring surgery does not occur, but something to be aware of. Also, some pulmonary stenosis may develop.

My son had his ASO in January 1989 at 15 months of age. First time I ever saw him 'pink'!!

I cannot say my son's (my) experience was 'normal' because of the delay.

Glad to hear surgery went well...I know it is a difficult surgery to envision! Please let me know how he is doing now as your post was 2-1/2 months ago. If I can offer more, feel free to let me know!