defibrillator diaphram muscle spasms
Defibrillator installed 12/1/08. One of the wires is connected to the heart very close to the nerve that controls the diaphram muscles. Every electrical impulse to the heart causes the diaphram muscles to contract creating a "hiccup" effect. I am told that my heart and diaphram nerve both respond to the same voltage level when usually the heart will respond to a lower voltage than would effect the nerve. The doctors have tried 3 times to adjust the voltage on the defibrillator and have it set as low as possible to still control the heart. It is still triggering the diaphram muscle nerve.
I am told I will have to live with these chest spasms. I am told the only way to fix this situation is heart surgery to go in and move the wire to a different location...........Do you have any other ideas?