Heart Disease Expert Forum
development of Coronary collateral arteries

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

How long does it take the body to generate coronary collateral arteries? Other than excersize as tolerated is there any thing which can help stimulate their formation and growth such as meds or dietary supplements.
Collateral circulation usually occurs in a mismatch of supply and demand. In other words, there is decreased blood flow to a certain part of the body where there is high demand. This can be the result of increasing the demands of the body (weight training, cardiovascular exercise, etc) or from a decrease supply (i.e. blocked vessels as in peripheral vascular disease or coronary artery disease). Medication or dietary supplements do not stimulate this type of growth.
Thank you, so i guess I'll just keep swiming laps and hope my body gets the idea.
A related discussion, how long does it take to build natural collateral arteries? was started.