Heart Disease Expert Forum
diagnosis ascending aortic aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

diagnosis ascending aortic aneurysm
Diagnosed with AAA in Dec 2012, measured 4.8 on CTA, 5.5 is cut point, at 6 mo. point will have a full arterial CTA and remeasurement of the AAA, also have history of stroke; on BP meds, statin, Anti-platelet med(plavix); HIV+, on meds for HIV for 12 years with wonderful results, never been sick from the HIV; also have a PFO and severe sleep apnea; been treated for depression for many years. I mention PFO and apnea as they have a correlation with higher stroke incidence. Seeing a cardiologist soon to look at closing the hole (PFO) between my atriums by catheterization. Not a successful CPAP user for Apnea, my neurologist wanted to refer me for surgery last year but I declined; now rethinking my decision on the apnea surgery. Once I get past the PFO issue with the cardiologist, plan on addressing the apnea surgery with my AAA surgeons OK. Thoracicsurgeons plan is for open chest surgery when I reach 5.5 or I develop significant symtoms of my AAA. Am asymtomatic concerning my AAA. It was discovered incidental to a ER admission due to a TIA.
  Funny,  previously I considered myself  fortunately healthy despite my accumulating health challenges as I get older; remained active as I love the beach/ocean. But now, I am very anxious, scared; am not good at waiting; feel like I am on very thin ice and at any moment my first symtom of my AAA will be a dissection/rupture. Been inactive, feel housebound & in a "waiting to get this over with frame of mind".
  Guess my question is have I missed anything in my first paragraph as to current diagnosis and treatment plan of surgeon. And will anyone that has had an AAA recently diagnosed/corrected please share you thoughts, experience
                                               Mahalo, pisces46 (tells you my location and age)

I am a physician who responds to any heart/vascular disease questions on this forum. Unfortunately, I am unable to give any first-hand experience of undergoing a AAA repair; however, I can tell you that your serial exams/imaging are in accordance to the current guidelines and recommendations for someone who has a known AAA, and that should you ever require surgery (symptoms or change in size (absolute measurement or rate of change), this is a common procedure that can be carried out by a number of institutions throughout the country.  I cannot encourage you enough to continue to maintain a healthy cardiovascular profile with medication compliance, abstaining from tobacco, and diet/exercise.  Additionally, using your CPAP for your OSA is crucial for your pulmonary health, as well as preventing any further structural changes to your heart.  Hope this helps.