Heart Disease Expert Forum
diastolic dysfunction and cardiomyopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Re: diastolic dysfunction and cardiomyopathy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heart Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - HSB on November 13, 1997 at 10:49:20:

In Reply to: diastolic dysfunction and cardiomyopathy posted by Linda on October 20, 1997 at 06:41:35:

: I have CHF caused from Diastolic dysfunction and am wondering if that is the same as cardiomyopathy.  My left ventricile is dialated and does not relax.  It takes 3 times the normal pumping while my right ventricle takes 1 time the normal.  My bp runs around 110/75 with pulse around 105.
  I am currently taking Cozaar 50 mg and Laxis 20 mg.  Also it appears that if I have been very active I have fluid retention and am easily tired.  Is there any correlation between the activity level and fluid retention?  How do you learn to pace yourself.  My EF is 40%.
  Also, after having a cath last week, I bled after having sand bag and clamp for 4 1/2 hours.  I now have a pain about 6 inches above knee.  The pain comes and goes, but was constant after the pressure and extra 2 hours of sandbag.  Any input?
  Thanks for your help.
  Thank you for this great site to get our questions answered.
_____________
The cardiac cycle is divided (grossly) into two periods diastole and systole.  Systole describes the time period during which the heart contracts and expels blood to the body, while diastole is the time period during which the heart relaxes and receives blood from the body (right ventricle) and the lungs (left ventricle).  Both of these processes are complex and require the expenditure of energy.  The majority of patients with congestive heart failure suffer from abnormalities in both systolic and diastolic function.  In fact investigators, believe that diastolic dysfunction often precedes systolic dysfunction.. A significant number of patients suffer from predominately diastolic dysfunction.  In other words, their hearts are capable of pumping blood ( a normal ejection fraction) but their heart