Heart Disease Expert Forum
diastolic dysfunction left ventricle

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

diastolic dysfunction left ventricle
Hi there
I am 39 years old, 5'8 and 125lbs. Last week I had some left arm tingling with swelling of the hands. I went to my doctor my EKG was borderline with swelling still present. He ordered blood test and and echo. Blood test showed vitamin d and vitamin b were low. My doctor said he wants to see what echo stated. Echo came back today with conclusion of:
1. mild hypokineis inferior segent of left ventricle 555
2. Mitral in-flow velocities are suggestive diastolic dysfunction of left ventricle
3. Trivial Mitral and Tricuspid Regurgitation

Does anyone know what this means?
What was the ejection fraction?

Mild hypokinesis of the left ventricle means that part of the heart is not squeezing normally.  Statistically speaking, the most common cause of the this would be coronary artery disease, particularly of the right coronary artery, but if you have no risk factors for coronary artery disease and given your young age, I would say this would be a bit of an unusual finding.  Although the most common cause of such an abnormality is coronary disease, there are many other causes, some of which can cause systemic symptoms, which could cause a focal abnormality of the heart muscle.  I would recommend at this point that you have a confirmatory imaging modality to assess the heart function, such as a cardiac MRI, if they think your risk of having had a heart attack is very low.  Alternatively, your doctor may want to ahead and perform an angiogram to make sure your arteries are normal.  This decision would be based in part on what the rest of the echo showed, your clinical risk profile, and your discussion with your doctor.
There are two main functions we report in the echo, one is systolic function, or much blood in the heart is pumped out of the heart, and diastolic function, or how well the heart fills.  The diastolic dysfxn means that your heart filling pattern may be abnormal, which again is unusual at your age if you do not have high blood pressure or diabetes for example.  
The hand swelling and the tingling of the arm are unsual symptoms, and I am not certain they are related to the heart, but there are some autoimmune conditions or allergic conditions that could affect the heart and other parts of the body.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your help. I do not smoke or drink. I take no medication. Blood Pressure is low to normal. No health problem. Heart disease runs thru our family on both sides at young age. My doctor did call and I meet with him in a few days.

If heart disease does run in your family at a young ages, then we would probably recommend that you have an angiogram (heart catheterization) to make sure your coronary arteries are open (no blockages) especially if you have another imaging test (such as an MRI like the other physician recommended) done which does confirm the mild hypokinesis in the inferior portion of the LV.