Heart Disease Community
digoxin discontinued? CHF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

digoxin discontinued? CHF

Is it common for someone to be taken off of digoxin after 3 years?
can a person be off of it for a short time like 2 weeks and then resume treatment?
does it have to gradually be introduced again? or can it be taken at original prescribed dosage?
my dad was taken off of it because his rate dropped below 60 beats and was causing him to be knocked out for most of the day when he went off of it his symptoms improved now its been 2 weeks and he is showing signs of loss of appitite,sleepiness,slow in speech, stomach acid, nasea Can the digoxin be retintroduced without any big adjustment to his chemistry?he is 81 years old along with rheumatoid arthritis , and enlarge prostate has anybody ran into this change in medial plans for themselves or others?
It is difficult to provide an answer to your questions as there some many variables involved with general health, etc.

I was on digoxin for about 6 months after a chf episode (recovered rather quickly) and for 5 1/2 years  I have not taken the medication. I was on a diuretic at the time as well.  Heart failure individuals who take digoxin are commonly given diuretics, which remove excess fluid from the body. Many diuretics can cause potassium loss. Low levels of potassium in the body increase the risk of digitalis toxicity. Digitalis toxicity may also result in persons who take the drug and who have low levels of magnesium in the body.

Risks include taking digitalis medications such as digoxin or digitoxin along with medications that interact with digitalis such as quinidine, verapamil, amiodarone, and others.

Reduced kidney function will cause digitalis to build up in the body rather than be removed normally through urine. Therefore, any disorders that disrupt kidney functioning (including dehydration) make digitalis toxicity more likely.

Generally, most drugs should be gradually increased and monitored.  And going off a drug should be gradual as well so the body's system can adjust to the change.

With chf the heart's contractions are weaker than normal, and digoxin helps provide a stronger beating heart.  If one has increased functionality of the heart, the drug may be dropped, also, there can be a tolerance that develops with digoxin that may require discontinuation for a period of time.
I was in hospital last week for dehydration & electrolytes being messed up. Also had kidney infection.  The hospitalist increased my Digoxin from .12mg to 125mcg.  I have been on present dose for 10 yrs.  I'm afraid to increase by this much.  I see my internist on 4/27 and will ask him.
crow260