Heart Disease Expert Forum
dilated right ventricle

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

dilated right ventricle

I had 2 more echo's done.  One was on 9/10/2013 and the other on 10/18/2013.   The former said my heart was normal size, but the last one said I had a dilated right ventricle.  Prior to this, the right ventricle was always normal, starting with my initial echo done on July 14, 2013.  The last echo had my right ventricle at 4.7.  Does that sound strange that it would be normal just 5 weeks before and grossly abnormal now?  Also, If I hadn't asked for a report of my ultrasound, the doctor would have never mentioned it.  He just told me that my EF was much improved and my heart had appeared to shrink from the initial echo.  That had my left ventricle mildly dilated, now he says that's normal size.  But the second ultrasound said all the chambers were normal.  Any thoughts? .
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear waterbed81,

It is rather difficult for me to give you an answer to your question without reviewing your echocardiogram and knowing your medical history.
The significance of right ventricular dilation can only be interpreted in light of your medical and cardiac history along with the symptoms that you are having at the moment.
If there is worsening in your symptoms with the ensuing right ventricular dilation, the cause needs to be investigated and your medical regimen be adjusted.
If you are not getting answers to your questions with your current cardiologist, it might not be unreasonable for you to seek second opinion with an alternative doctor.
Hope that helps