Heart Disease Expert Forum
dna therapy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

dna therapy

My father has a history of heart disease.  Had quintuple bypass surgery and defibrillator implanted 11 years ago.  Recently had another heart attack & is functioning with 1 1/3 open arteries.  He's presently on a large variety of drugs and must significantly decrease physical activity.  He is considered to be too big a risk for angio or bypass surgery.  Is the CC doing DNA therapy?  I believe that he would make an excellent candidate for this therapy.  WHat is your criteria for performing this on patients?  Is it feasible that he could have this done?  What other hospitals are doing it?  I'm very anxious for him to pursue this since he's had poor results with drugs.  Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jill,

Thank you for your question.  We do have a DNA trial underway here.  The primary investigator is Dr. Stephen Ellis.  It is called the VEGEF trial and involves the direct application of DNA to diseased coronary arteries.  The inclusion requirements are as follows: 1. At least 20% reversible ischemia on PET or thallium scan. 2. Heart cath within the last 6 months. 3. No cancer. 4. No retinopathy (eye disorder). 5. Ejection fraction of at least 25%.
If your father meets these criteria or you have additional questions contact Cathy Comella at (216) 444-0053.  The study is almost completed so if he is interested in participating you should call at once.  There may be additional studies in the future that he would qualify for if this one does not work out.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.