drug-eluting stents, restenosis, Plavix for life, and procedures like colonoscopy
About 4 years ago during a routine Echo stress we discovered I had blockage in the LAD and diagonal.  I had drug-eluting stents put in and I have been on 75MG Plavix, 50MG Toprol XL, 81mg aspirin, and 80mg simvastatin ever since.  I never had any symptoms and I still have none.  Just wondering about a professional opinion about being on these medications for life as well as the efficacy of generic drugs.  I obviously am also concerned about possible restenosis in the stents.  I also wonder about the need for procedures like colonoscopy or other such procedures where the Plavix may cause a concern.  Any thoughts?  
Some doctors recommend plavix for a lifetime if one has had a heart attack, and about a year after DES.  DES sites may be vulnerable to blood clots, and stats show there is little risk after a year for clots.  I discontinued plavix after 13 months about 5 years ago subsequent to DES implant

Prior to an intervention such as colonscopy, there may be a period of 6 days without the medication to prevent the risk of uncontrolled bleeding in the event of polyp removal.

It has been shown that generic drugs is not any different than the non-generic.  Its the same chemicals but the original drug maker has lost their patent rights.  Patent rights are a method to help the orginal maker recover research and develpment costs.

Thanks for your question.  Take care.
I have both DES and drug eluting stents and have had heart attacks, and took Plavix for several years.  About a year ago I went off Plavix and have not experienced a heart attack or restinosis.  I remain on 81mg aspirin.

While still taking Plavix, I had the misfortune of developing a bowel obstruction which required emergency surgery.  The fact that I was was taking Plavix was a major concern, and the surgery took place expecting bleeding problems.  Some bleeding did take place but they were prepared for it and I got through it OK.  As Kenkeith suggests, when I had planned medical procedures when taking Plavix, I just quit taking it a week ahead of the planned procedures.