Heart Disease Community
ear lobe crease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

ear lobe crease

Does anyone know if this is a true indicator of possible or future heart conditions?

At just age 39, my right ear lobe just recently got the dreaded 'crease', diagonally across it, just to the point of my earring hole. It really surprised me when each day I'd wake up to see if it was a fluke and sure enough, each morning, it's there!

I do have periodic PVC's that can get bad. But, I have had 2 EKG's, a 'rock solid' Echocardiogram, bloodwork, and have seen a Cardiologist who says all is well.

I have always looked over my family thru the years to make sure they didn't have this crease and none did until just a few days ago, I saw my 67 year old father's right ear lobe just got a crease in it. I was told while working as a CNA that this is a bad telltale sign of the heart and blood circulation. I saw it in many old folks in the nursing homes.
after 40 years of practice i believe that these are significant indicating a need to check further.
they are not, by any means, 100%, but i am certain there is a correlation between ear creases and coronary artery disease and/or hyperlipidemia.
many cardiologists will disagree with me on this.

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it but i would mention to my doctor.
I'd like to see a poll taken to find out if the appearance of ear creases in our older years has anything to do with which side we sleep on. You know our skin loses its elasticity over the years. I notice more wrinkles by my left eye and a slight crease on my left ear lobe. Then again, I love to sleep on my left side. Just curious. . . .
I personally think it's BS.
Thank you so much for saying that :-)
People with CAD are generally older and older people also get wrinkles and creases. There's the association ! There are so many ridiculous studies being done today I'd be embarrased to be a doctor. Vitamins are good for you, no they're not. Fish oil is good for you, no its not. The latest stupidity I've heard is that smoking decreases your chance of Alzheimers. Wonderful !
Ditto on the "BS" comment.
I wonder how many of the people who say this is "BS" have an educational background in medicine, or have studied this issue in depth. Either show me your supporting data, or keep your "BS" comments in the closet of ignorance where they belong please.

I agree that it is BS!  My grandparents (who are both 80) have creases in both earlobes and both have no indication of having any type of CAD.  I agree with e.r. boy in terms of the medical community knows very little at times.  Everyday it is something else is bad for you when a year ago it was great for you!  People read too much into things and end up worrying for no reason.  

Hailey's Mom: If you have been checked out by a cardiologist recently and they see no evidence of CAD, then obviously in your case it is just a new wrinkle.  Yes people with ear lobe creases do have heart attacks but so do people without ear lobe creases and vice versa.  Until the medical community adds that as a risk factor then it is BS!!
Could not have said it better myself.

Just another related area---I have noticed that many people who drink water wind up with heart disease.

Truth1a--As far as medical education background goes, I must say that I am a rather successful amateur cardiologist, if that helps any.

Lighten up !!
I am not a doctor, just a patient who continues to live and learn.  I'm sticking with my original answer.

I thought these responses might be helpful.  They are the answers provided by the doctors on the expert forums in response to members' questions regarding ear lob creases and CAD.  

by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Dec 04, 1999 12:00AM
Through the years a number of studies have been done examining any possible connection. The results have been conflicting. While the connection lives on in medical lore, the majority of cardiologists do not believe that there is a meaningful connection.

--------------
Douglas Bogart, MD  
Truman Medical Center
Feb 26, 2008 06:11PM
Sorry for the delay  in responding but there is no correlation with ear lobe creases and the risk of heart disease.

-------------
by CCF-M.D.-CRC
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Mar 23, 2001 12:00AM
Relax a little bit.  Ear-lobe creases have been associated with elevated cholesterol and increased heart disease but this is not a gospel truth.  Your LDL is a bit high and you should discuss a treatment plan with your doctor.  Your goal LDL based on your profile should be <130.  I would probably recommend starting with diet and exercise modification and then add medications if needed.

--------------
by Douglas Bogart, MD
Truman Medical Center
Nov 03, 2007 08:50PM
There is no significant  data that relates ear lobe creases to heart disease.  However your symptoms clearly  warrant an evaluation.

---------------
by Forum-M.D.-MJM
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
May 30, 2007 12:00AM
This questions gets asked about once per year.  I can honestly tell you that I have never examined an earlobe crease or read an article in a medical journal about its prognostic significance.  The major risk factors are: family history, hypertension, increased LDL cholesterol/decreased HDL cholesterol, smoking, diabetes.  There are many minor risk factors as well, but earlobe creases is not on the list.
Hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.

-------------------
by CCF-M.D.-BKJ
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
May 14, 2005 12:00AM
Its a great and pretty timely question as We were just discussing this the other day. There is observational data that bilateral earlobe creases are associated with the presence of coronary disease. It is unclear why this is the case.

The finding is described as bilateral ear lobe creases.  However, the majority of patients with this finding do not have coronary disease and the finding is often benign.  

I would not change my management of a 43 year old sepcifically because of the finding of the ear crease. I would recommend aggressive risk factor control including blood pressure and cholesterol.

Repeat echocardiography in a few years would generally be my practice.

Keep up the active lifestyle and try not to let your anxiety get the best of you. You sound healthier then most of the patients I see your age in my clinic.
good luck

Well - I have them -  I have h.b.p -  I noticed my whole family has them - some have
h.b.p some dont ?  got one from being slapped in the ear a few years ago at work ..
after the hit !   so I really dont know what to think - but I did hear of this before and it could be true , but im on the fence for now.  what about bags under the eyes ?  
so meny things are signs they say !    Im gonna sit here on the fence for now ..