Heart Disease Expert Forum
echo mitral valve LVH

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

echo mitral valve LVH

Enclosed are links  to  2  views  from my  echo

I was  told that these show  no  LVH  and normal mitral  valvle

I  think they show  LVH and a mitral  valve  striking the  septum

I have had a heart murmur  since  childhood  and only recently had  the  echo  

The  video  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4BCyLthXk&list=HL1340743152&feature=mh_lolz
(paste  link into address  bar  of  browser)  shows  the  echo

The  2nd  clip shows  the view with some color  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfn9hkFu3Ds&feature=plcp

any impression  would be  welcomed

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I cannot tell you if you have LVH or not without the echo measurements but the mitral valve is touching the septum in diastole what is normal (when the heart is resting and mitral valve opens the let the ventricle fills with blood). There is a mild acceleration of the blood when crossing the aortic valve what ot related to the septum. Good luck.
Hello CCFHeartMD 15

Thank you  for looking at the clip.  

As  regards the  mild  acceleration of the blood  when crossing the  aortic  valve   is  that what  tou would call 'turbulent  flow  at  the Left  Ventricle  Ouytflow  Tract  ?    and maybe that is the  'soft  systolic  murmur'  at the 'lower  left  sternal  edge'   the  doctors mention in letters  between one  another.  I've  always  had  this  soft  murmur

As  regards  the  l;eft  ventricular  measurements    here  is the  M Mode  from the  echo  with all the  dimensions interposed   Looks to me that the posterior wall is 0.9   (so under  LVH )  and the septum is  1.3    (mild  LVH)  but the cardiuo  reviewed  the  septum  and thought it  between  1.0  and 1.2   so    1.2  would be  just on the edge...  the beginning of  LVH  as  I understand  it  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54708050@N03/7202285846/in/photostream/lightbox/

I'd  tried to get someone  to show me my  echo and answer  my  questions but  to no  avail,    Its  not easy for us laypersons to  work  out these  things and  as  for the    color  blood  flow on the  echo  clips I  really have no idea how  to work out  what means  what  or even easily see  what  direction blood  is going,  and how much  backflow is to be  expected.  The echo report  talks  of regurtition in trace levels,   I  think  0  to  1  level

so  thank you for the guidance  
Also my records  say my apex  beat is at the  4th intercostal  space which I  think isn't  the normal place  for  adults