Heart Disease Expert Forum
echo results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

echo results

I got a copy of my echocardiogram results to gove to my primary physician and was wondering what they meant.It said Echo revealed EF 52% dystolic dysfunction, LH enlargement 4.2 cm mild mr/tr. it was done over two weeks ago and no one called so I was wondering if this is something I should be nworried about now or wait until I see my primary physician in two days. He had not seen the results I just dropped them off today.
Chuck
Tags: echocardiogram, dysfunction, enlargemnt
Hi Noletiger,

The Echo results you've listed are not completely clear, but I'll try to decipher it the best I can.  The EF (ejection fraction) is basically how well the heart muscle is pumping.  A normal EF is around 55% or greater.  Yours is pretty close to normal.  Depending on how they measured it, it can also be very subjective.  "Dystolic dysfunction" is "diastolic dysfunction" I think.  What that means is basically the ability of the heart to relax.  Unfortunately, as patients get older the heart gets stiffer, and there may be some degree of diastolic dysfunction.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "LH enlargement 4.2cm".  Do you mean left atrial enlargement of 4.2cm?  If so, then the left atrium is the upper range of normal.  Many patients have mild mr (mitral regurgitation) and tr (tricuspid regurgitation) which are essentially leaky valves.

The interpretation of your echocardiogram largely depends on why you had the test done and correlating it to any symptoms you may have.  There are also some details missing, and it's difficult to give you a full assessment without seeing the actual images.  That being said, there is nothing that jumps out as immediately concerning, so I think you are fine to wait until you see your primary care doctor.  They are quick to call should they be concerned with any results.

Hope this helps!
CCFHeartMD20