Heart Disease Expert Forum
echo results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

echo results

I recently had an echocardiogram to rule out infrequent weakness in both arms as being heart related.  The report came back:  normal chambers, normal left ventricular systolic function, EF 60-65%, normal aortic and triscupid valve, mitral valve prolapse with mild regurgitaion.  I was concerned because some of the measurements were out of the reference range:  right ventricle end diastole 11, ref (21-32mm); left posterior wall end diastole 12, ref (7-11mm); right ventricle end systole 09 ref (15-22).  The test was M-Mode/2D, Doppler/Color flow.

Because some of the measurements were out of range, I took the report to another cardiologist for a consultation and basically he said he didn't know the significance of some of the measurements or wouldn't trust the result on the ones that were out of range.  He listened to my heart and couldn't hear the MVP.  He said my heart was fine.  I am still concerned about the right ventricle size as reported.  Should I have another Echo?  I am not having any symptoms.

Richard
Dear Richard,
I tend to agree with your cardiologist.  Remember that an echocardiogram is a 2 dimensional image of a 3 dimensional object.  Therefore if the 'cut' of the projection is off axis there can be wide variation in the measurements taken.  Your report is essentially normal and I would not get another echocardiogram.
Hello I have some minor problems. Found out that I have bradycardia mostly at night have just been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea with some moderate plmd They did a echo and halter becasue the prelimary oximetry for apnea before sleep study showed heart rate dropping into the low 20's. I am very overweight also. the 24 hour halter showed infrequent pvcs 46 some pac's
at 4:09 hr= 46 sinus pause of 2.8 seconds first degree heart block with the sinus bradycardia At 17:11and 12chest pain at that time in sinus mechanism with rate of 90-95 without st depression at 17:10 chest pain sinus mechanism of 95
heart variablity summary shows RR-interval of 962 milliseconds standart deviation of the mean 172 milliseconds Mean of the standard deviation 84 milliseconds.
Now for the echo
impression
borderline LV hypertrophy and hypercontractile ventricle
minimal aortc valve sclerosis
mild tricuspid insufficiency
mild left atrial enlargement
no significant vavular disease
More on the echo
lv somewhat hypercontractile ef 70%
rv non dialated
slight increase in peak fow across the aortic vavle generating a 10mm gradient
left atrium shows e wave greater then awave e to a ratio of 1-4 and peak gradient of 4mm/hg
aortic valve cusps have excursion of 20mm delicate ans coapt to midline
left ventricle is non dialated with an end-diastolic dimension of 52 mm and end-systolic dimension of 25mm
the interventricular septum and psoterior wall is at the upper limits of normal at 11 mm each end-distolic dimension
Cannot get any answers from my regular Dr. So I got the report and hopped I could get help with it
Can al this be from the apnea? What I am afraid of is the stopping of the heart at night.
Any answers would be so helpful. Might add my age is 55 an I am a female
Now for the echo
impression
minimal aortc valve sclerosis
mild tricuspid insufficiency
mild left atrial enlargement
no significant vavular disease
More on the echo
lv somewhat hypercontractile ef 70%
rv non dialated
i would like to know how to measure hert rate variablity and why is that rate important?