Heart Disease Expert Forum
echo results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

echo results

Posted By Barbara on February 25, 1999 at 16:42:22:

Hello, I am a 36 year old female with a family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that dilates.  I have recently changed cardiologists - my old one relocated.  I had an echo last week and went into visit the new cardiologist for the results.  He told me that my heart looked normal.  He then told me that my ef was 30 to 35% .  I asked him for the lv measurement and he said 4.0.  My echo from 7 months ago showed an ef of 50 to 55% and my left ventricle measurement was 5.8.   Is someone reading the echo wrong?  I know that they are subjective, but these numbers seem way off from each other.  Is it possible to have a reduction in you ventricle of that much, and for ef to drop that much with out noticing any change in symptoms?  He also told me that my cardiac output - amount of blood pumped through my body was normal.  How can that be if my heart ef is at 30 to 35%?  He told me that my heart rate must have increased to keep up.  I'm just wondering if you think this is unusual and if I should have an echo done by yet another doctor.  Then, do I get to pick the one that sounds the best?!   Thank you for your timel