Heart Disease Expert Forum
effects of short hypertensive crisis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

effects of short hypertensive crisis

I am 35, 6'1", 185, male, non-diabetic, normal cholesterol, etc. My only risk factor for heart disease is high blood pressure. For the past six months my legs from knees to heel are cold and cramped. This is temporarily relieved by exercise and hot baths and therefore I am told it is not PVD. Nvertheless it is very uncomfortable. I started exercising more frequently to relieve this discomfort.

A week ago I discontinued carvedilol, because it was giving me asthma. My blood pressure did not rise after I discontinued it, but when I went for a brisk walk my diastolic bp (the lower number I know) 30 min after the walk was very high >100. I thought this might be a one time thing. Two days later I went for another walk and my resting diastolic bp after the walk was 115. I got my bp down to below 120/80 within two hours by an extra dose of .1 mg clonidine, but for the past week I have experienced pain in the kidney region, eye ache, and a feeling of fullness and heat in the heart and kidney region. It is not severe. Perhaps a less sensitive peron wouldn't notice it.

You may not know the answer, but I hope you have an opinion.

Was this bp reaction, which I had never experienced before likely caused by carvedilol withdrawal, even though before leaving for the walk my bp was normal?

And more important to me, how much damage may have been done in the two hours of this crisis?

Not likely to have had heart damage with that blood pressure and time course. However, clonidine withdrawal was probably what you felt and it is very important that you do not abruptly discontinue this medication. This effect is usually seen at doses of 0.2 and higher, but it may have affected you at a lower dose.