Heart Disease Community
ejection fraction 20%

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

ejection fraction 20%

My husband 48 years old recently had his 2nd heart attack.  His ejection fraction is 20%  We are going to the dr this week and I need to know what type of questions I need to ask.  He is on med's to help this   We have also applied for SSA disability anyone out there with suggestion on how they look at this.  thanks
How was the heart attack stopped, did your husband have stents?
I think I would ask 2 major questions.
1. How much (if any) of the heart muscle is unlikely to recover.
2. (this depends if stents were fitted). Have all the worse blockages been treated to
    lower the risk of a further heart attack. Or, will further surgery be required once the
    hearts EF has raised.

Has your husband been modifying his lifestyle since his first attack? such as healthy diet, monitoring cholesterol/blood pressure, avoiding stress, not smoking?
Ed34 offers excellent questions.  

The fact that the Ejection Fraction can be improved with medication and lifestyle changes makes this a thorny issue.  My ejection fraction over the past twelve years has jumped from the 20's to the high 40's, and back,   I'm assuming your husband has gone through cardiac rehabilitation.  What was the assessment after those sessions?  I'm guessing what the rehabilitation people reported will be important.  Also, Ed34 referred to heart muscle that is unlikely to recover... ask the doctor if the damage is permanent or are the heart cells stunned, and may recover with exercise, medications and diet.  

Best wishes, keep us informed.
Yes he did have stents with both attacks.  The first Attack he was given the TNK shot but the 2nd he was not. Yes he has changed his lifestyle and he is really trying hard.  I think his biggest question is how long his life expectancy is.  He has had no bypass surgeries all blockage so far have been cleared with stents.  This was what they called a STEMI attack.  Dr has not set up rehab yet.  Thank you both so much
STEMI heart attacks refer to what is called a S - T elevation of the heart beats on an EKG or a stress test and it's considered a significant event.   The question you need to ask your doctor is, are these stunned cells or killed cells, as Ed suggested.  If they are stunned cells, exercise, diet and medications can revitalize them. Rehab is going to be very important, make sure your husband participates.  Sounds like your husband is doing all the right things and has a good attitude, thats very important.  He's very young, and that is in his favor.  Keep us informed as to his progress.  

As far as the SSA is concerned, don't count on getting any benefits.  My father didn't. He applied over and over again.  It wasn't until he wasn't able to drive anymore that they approved him for benefits.  And then it wasn't his full benefit amount.  He passed away 6 months after that.  I would get a lawyer to help with the approval.  Ally