Heart Disease Community
elongated aorta

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

elongated aorta

My father has an elongated aorta.  The problem is I can't get anybody to explain to me in words I can understand exactly what that is or what we need to do to treat it if anything.  Could somebody please help.  I just lost my mother to cancer in April and I don't want to lose my father too.

Please Help,

bknox
Tags: aorta
Avatar n tn
Hi, I just found out that my mother has the same problem.  Unfortunately I have no idea if this just an alongation related to aging, (she is 64) or other.  
Share if you were you able to find out anything more about this abnormality and what can be done for it.
Avatar n tn
We just received news that my mother in law has an elongated heromatous aorta or something to that effect.  I have looked at several sites but since I'm not a doctor, the information limited as it is, doesn't do me much good.  If anyone would like to explain this to us it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
The aorta vessel (outflow tract) is the main vessel for blood flow to the system. An elongated aorta can by its size can crowd out and cause tracheal (throat) compression.  Pressure on the trachea can be sufficient to cause displacement and reduction in caliber, usually inside the thorax. Sometimes it may present an obstruction to blood flow.

Some times in the elderly the aorta(large artery that originates from the left ventricle of the heart) will elongate to decrease peripheral resistance(blood pressure) which commonly is increased in the elderly.
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much. my doctor said nothing to me about this. so I thougt
after going through a cardiac cath that every thing was fine.
Avatar n tn
after going through a cardiac cath that every thing was fine. This man is a cardiologist. I asked to see the chest xray results, my primary care physician saw them to and did not say anything.