Heart Disease Expert Forum
end stage CHF - life expectancy?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

end stage CHF - life expectancy?

I wonder if you could give me your judgement about how long my dad has to live. He is in the hospital - admitted with kidney failure from CHF. He had been retaining fluid in his ankles and his abdomen.  He was treated with dopamine and Primacor and the fluid did release - he lost 20 pounds (fluid?) in a few days.  He has lost a total of 30 pounds over the last year.  He has constant shortness of breath and little energy.  His heart monitor shows constant arrythmia and PVCs and the alarms are always going off. His blood pressure has decreased - it currently averages about 90/40. He is 85 and we are told his heart is very enlarged.  Your answer may help us make decisions regarding his care. Thank you very much.