Heart Disease Community
end stage CHF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

end stage CHF?

Mom is 80 years old and diagnosed with CHF/COPD over 3 years.  We've just been told she is 'end stage CHF.'  Are there stages of end stage? The fluid around her heart was 3,000 and they gave her gave her IV lasix and got it down to 1,700 and said this was her new base line. Where are we in her end stage?
I wish I knew. My Dad was told last November that he was in end stage heart failure and hospice care was arranged. I really thought he wouldn't make it through the holidays. Yet with some medication changes and the hospice nurse coming by every week to monitor him, he's pretty stable and still with us. Yes, he's weak, sleeps a lot and gets confused but overall he's doing pretty well. Amazing. So I'm not sure I know what "end stage" means either. All I know is we had the holidays with him, did Father's Day and just recently had his birthday. I'm thankful.
Thanks for your reply. We, like you, have so much to be thankful for.  I'm glad you still have your dad this long after they told you he was end stage. My mom was on/off hospice too and three years ago we were told she would not live through the night THREE different occasions but the fight in her prevailed. That was with her COPD. Now she is having problems with her heart and that fluid thing really has us worried. Though she still doesn't 'look' as bad as they say she is.  It is absolutely mind boggling.
Just guessing here, but I think end stage heart failure means that IF there are NO changes for the better, you're at the end.  But if things change, obviously, you're around a lot longer than expected.  I was told back in '97 that I was in end stage heart failure and I'm doing better than ever now, with all the new stuff they're doing (pacemakers, diffibs, my wonderful vitamins, etc).  But when the dr. told my mom that I was end stage, he was also talking about sending me to the big hospital to get on the transplant list.  I turned around and started doing better and never had to go there.  Does that make any sense?
What kind of vitamins do you take?  My mother is 84 and the doctors are considering replacing her pacemaker with a defib/pacemaker.  They said her heart is working at about 20%.  She has COPD also, but gets around well considering.  I would like to do everything I can for her, she has the will to live on.
I was put on just Lisinopril 12 years ago when I was diagnosed but it didn't change anything.  Then I read several articles about Coenzyme Q10, which is a vitamin supplement and started on a regimen of them.  They can be a little costly, approximately 20 to 30 dollars a month  but they brought me out of heart failure and kept me out for 12 years.  I stopped taking them about 6 months ago though and right back into heart failure I went.  I started taking them again and am hoping they bring me back out of heart failure.  Taurine, L-Cartinine and Omega 3's are also great vitamin supplements for the heart.  I would suggest you read up on them to make sure that they don't counteract with any meds she is taking and so you are informed before starting anything new.  Doctors do not support supplements, I haven't found one that has although they tell me they are safe if I wish to take them.  Good luck and I pray that your Mom gets better.  God Bless!