Heart Disease Expert Forum
enlarged aorta 3.8cm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

enlarged aorta 3.8cm

My fathers tore his artery and had to have a bypass a couple of years ago now and the heart specialist asked to meet with me to see if I had any issues ( I am 27 yrs old, 6’1). The doctor stated I have an enlarged aorta 3.8cm and basically the end result is he wants me to stop lifting anything heavy or doing any explosive/ interval training. i.e sprints, weight lifting etc. I am very into fitness and this has become a real shock to me.
Do I really have to stop all this or is this doctor just really covering himself by saying this?
I read online that it is not really a major issue to it get around 4.5cm

Thank you in advance for any help/ advice you can offer!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
There are several aortopathies that are hereditary, so it is good that your physician wanted to assess your aorta given that your dad had a problem with his. Having an aorta that is 3.8cm isn't concerning at this point, it is just above normal. If the size was the only thing your doctor was concerned about, then I would say that it is safe to continue to exercise. However, I wonder if he may have seen anything else that was concerning, like an old tear or aneurysm. I would clarify before doing disregarding his recommendations. You could also get a formal second opinion.