Heart Disease Community
enlarged atrium valve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

enlarged atrium valve

My husband has been told his left atrium valve is enlarged?? What exactly does that mean? Is it dangerous? He is 36 & healthy----never done drugs, has never smoke and rarely drinks. He's in the middle of his weight range and cycles weekly around 70+ miles. Any advice??

Thanks!!
Are you sure the dx was/is an enlarged valve.  I'm thinking may be it is an enlarged atrium (chamber).  However, if it is an enlarged valve that may/would indicate an uinability of the valve leaflets to proper close sealing back flow of blood from the left ventricle during pumping phase.

If there is back flow (mitral valve regurgitation), the degree can vary from mild to severe.  Mild may not present any porblem and not advance but should be monitored.  Severe would present symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, etc.  that can be ruled out based physical ability to cycle without symptoms.

Yes, kenkieth raises an important distinction.  Does your husband have an enlarged left atrium or an enlarged left atrium valve (mitral valve)?  Big difference.

It's likely you misheard the doctor and your husband's left atrium is enlarged. This often occurs as a result of mitral valve regurgitation or untreated high blood pressure.  Another cause of an enlarged atrium is chronic atrial fibrillation.  Has your husband complained of palpitations and an irregular heartbeat? Also, if your husband is very tall there is a statistically greater chance of an enlarged atria. Enlarged atria are not dangerous per se but are associated with a greater risk of developing atrial fibrillation and/or stroke.

I would suggest that you or your husband call the doctor's office and discuss this issue further.  It may be that your husband's case is borderline and is medically insignificant.

Good luck.
I had a heart scan done with the echo and was told that  my LEFT ATRIUM was enlarged on 10/26/2010.  Naturally,  I wanted to know what caused that and what I needed to do to prevent other damage.  I was told that my problem was caused by untreated hypertension.  I believe that because I was "kicked to the curb" by a previous job in12/2008 and had no insurance coverage,I went without blood pressure meds for nearly 2 years.  I would borrow from friends and beg for meds on the internet.