Heart Disease Community
enlarged heart

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

enlarged heart

I'm told the left hand side of my heart is enlarged... and no one knows why. After ECG's, eco cardiogram and an MRI, no cause has been determined. The symptoms which prompted the investigation were breathlessness and an irregular heartbeat; I'm on medication for the latter. My question is: If no one can tell me why my heart is enlarged, does this imply that I can live a long and healthy life regardless of it?
If you have a dx of dilated cardiomiopathy, unless that it is genetic, it will be very difficult to know the reason.

Today doctors have an arsenal of medicaments and devices to make us live long lives, every person is different but chances are that you live an almost normal live with many years of medication ahead.

I just hope that your medication it is not only for the heartbeat but also for the enlarged heart.

Jesus.
Avatar n tn
Thanks Jesus; no, the medication was prescribed for the irregular heartbeat before I had all the tests that showed up the enlarged heart. I haven't been given anything else to help my enlarged heart as they say they don't know why it's enlarged. Ho hum!
It depends on HOW MUCH is has enlarged. It also depends on the muscle wall thickness. Those things will affect how efficient your heart is. Enlargement can be caused naturally by a lot of exercise and in as little as three months. An athlete for example will have a much larger left ventricle than me, which is why they are so efficient at sporting activities. Other causes can be anything from disease to a faulty valve to high blood pressure.
They should monitor you and if no cause has been found, but your heart efficiency is normal, then it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Avatar n tn
Wow, thanks for this insight ed34, very interesting... and reassuring. Funnily enough, I had dramatically increased my exercise routine (only brisk walking etc.) in the last couple of years so as to lose weight, I've lost a few stone. It has fallen by the wayside now, however, due to this condition suddenly flooring me back in May. I'm trying to build it up again. My blood pressure is fine and I don't think I have a faulty valve as they would have seen it in one of the scans, I presume. I didn't think to ask them HOW MUCH it's enlarged or the muscle wall thickness; do you think they'll reveal this if I ask? (Not terribly impressed with the scatty communication they've offered so far.)
Absolutely they should