enlarged right and left atria
I just had my first A-fib attack last week scariest thing I have ever been through!  I'm a pretty heathy guy 29 years old always active and this happens?   stayed in the hospital over night none of the meds really worked to restore my regular heart beat until I finally fell asleep for two hours woke up and it was back to normal:)   but they did an echocardiogram and the results were :  Right and Left Atria are enlarged?   they sent me home I had a follow up with a cardiologist a week later all she really told me was to come back in 6 months and hopefully it will have repaired itself ,   so is this something I should be worried about?  I cant get it off of my mind Im still wondering if this caused the attack or they are enlarged from the attack ?   if anyone has ever had this happen or knows something about it It would be soooo helpful! since the day in the hospital my rythym went back to normal and I quit smoking so heart rate dropped and blood pressure is perfect
An echo estimates chamber sizes so although the report indicates enlargement it may be within the margin of error. Concern would be the size of the enlargement left atrium and the underlying cause for a larger deviation from normal size that can lead to problems ranging from electrical dissarray such as atrial fibrillation and there is a danger of clots (A-fib can cause blood to pool rather than pumped into the left ventricle.  

Medications such as Beta Blockers and anti platlet medications may be administered to reduce the chances of any risks.

A common cause of afib is hypertension. Over time, hypertension increases the left atrial size and pressure within the left atrium that causes some scarring, and the scarring predisposes a patient for atrial fibrillation. Some people have primarily an electrical problem with their heart that causes afib.  I don't see a connection with afib causing LA enlargement.
thank you very  much for the info,  I havent had any other attacks since that day so Im still confused as they never gave me any ideas about what might have caused it,  but I had another ekg performed a couple weeks ago and it was good except for a minor abnormality in the P wave ,  Im not as freaked out as I my Cardiologist wants to do another echo in six months so im hoping to here good things after that test,  by me quiting smoking my resting heart rate and blood pressure are way lower ! so my heart doesnt have to work as hard, I am however still lifting weights
Thanks for the response, and if you have any further questions, feel free to post...there are very experienced members with the forum that can be helpful.