Heart Disease Expert Forum
exercise

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

exercise

I had an icd implanted 2mos.ago and starting to exercise again.I am cautious about this since I am not sure how much to do. I use my treadmill for 1hr.each time and been keeping it slow about 1mi.I want to increase it to a faster pace,but not sure how gradual it should be.My ef is 18 so I am wondering if I will cause a problem with my icd.
At this point, you should not cause a problem with your ICD and I think it is great that you are exercising.  If you would like to take it gradually just go up by 1mph every 1-2 days (there is no exact way to do it) until you have reached a point where you feel like you are pushing yourself some.  Keep up the exercise!!

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
I would use extreme caution in doing strenuous exercise. I started doing exercise one month after ICD implantation. A week later, I am not completely sure why but the ICD gave me 13 shocks in the space of 5 minutes . The computer says my heart rate may have gone to 250 bpm. During this period I was completely conscious that made it the worst day of my life
My advise would be to closely monitor your heartbeat during the exercise and keep it well below the "shock threshold"

All the best