Heart Disease Community
fast heart rate and high blood pessure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

fast heart rate and high blood pessure

I  have bouts of rapid heart rates and high blood pressure.The cause of this , I thought was eating heavy meals.I cut downon the heavy meals ,Everything was normal for about a week,About 2 hours ago while I was lying down, I sort of felt a jolt in my left side ,Then about an hour later the blood pressure and heart rate was drastically up. B.P-160  H.R, as high as a 100..Same as it was during my previous problems,This time it was not after a meal. The doctors at the E>R told  me not corncern myself,it's not in the danger area.Between these bouts the vitals are normal.The readings now,about 2 and half hours later are 144/92 B>P and 85 h,r,Any replies ? Thank-you.... I.m a 72 year male
The heart rate is definately not alarming at this point and even when you went to the E,R. however the blood pressure was way out of whack when you did go to the E,R, if it was in the 160 range so thats baloney.  If your b/p is now 144/92 it is still high but on the lower end of the scale.  If it were me i would make an appt. tomorrow w. your family doc and hopefully they will put you on a low dose of blood pressure meds...but in the meantime i would def. eliminate any salt and caffeine from your diet until you get in to see your doc ..the heart rate really isn't considered high at 85 but the blood pressure is a little worrisome....see the doc its easily taken care of ................................
QUOTE:  The doctors at the E>R told  me not corncern myself,it's not in the danger area.

The doctors should have at least given you an EKG.  It seems the doctors are dismissing the possibility of heart failure.  Your clinical signs indicate the possiblity of heart failure....for instance, eating a meal demands more blood oxygen, and if the heart isn't strong enough to pump blood oxygen with each heartbeat, the heart rate increases and low cardiac output with each stroke increases blood pressure...these are compensating mechanisms for a weak heart contractions.  

I experienced almost identical  circumstances 7 years ago, my heart was faster than usual (greater than the usual 70 hr) and blood pressure was affected as well so I can identify with your circumstance,  I was admitted to ICU after the condtion was diagnosed as congested heart failure and that I had had a silent heart attack...I was shocked!  I didn't feel any serious symptoms,

If you have heart rate within mid range of normal, and you are normally in fairly good physical condition you shouldn't have unexplained high b/p and fast heart rate although it is within the normal range. It shouldn't be dismissed as not in the danger zone...being in a danger zone may be a little late to save heart muscle.  

Even if your symptoms don't return there should be an evaluation of cardiovascular system.  There could have been some heart cell damage, and you can feel healthy, etc., but you could have had a silent heart attack as I did...not necessary to have symptoms to be in heart failure mode.

You should have evaluation of your cardiovascular system.  If you are similar to other people in your age group, you will have some hardening and occluded vessels. You can be successfully treated to help halt or slow any progression of any pathology.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  The best going forward, take care.