Heart Disease Expert Forum
fetal echo

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

fetal echo

Dear doctor,
My younger sister is 28 years old and expecting her first child, she was MVP with some MR, she was told that she needs to be followed by cardiologist throughout her pregnancy. Is it a routine recommendation? Futhermore, she was told that she needs to do a fetal echo, is it also a routine recommendation to someone with MVP or they are looking for something else? What is the frequency of someone with MVP to have a child also with MVP or congenital heart disease?
Thank you for the information.
Dear Cathy 12,

Mitral valve prolapse is a common disorder found in approximately 2.5% of the population. It can be an inherited disorder or acquired. It is  is usually well tolerated during pregnancy, the increase in blood volume and decrease in peripheral vascular resistance associated with pregnancy both may help to improve mitral valve function.  You did not comment on the severity of your sister's mitral regurgitation. If the amount of regurgitation is signigicant the doctors are probably being cautious and watching her closely. If your sister has familial MVP there is a risk of it being transmitted to her child. However, because of variable penetrance the an exact numerical risk is difficult to predict. This means that every mother with familial MVP does not transmit it to her child. The overall risk of inheriting MVP is somewhat low, but higher than in a person born of a mother without MVP. MVP can also be acquired during life in people with no family history of MVP.
MVP is a relatively benign condition, I would ask her doctors about the severity of her mitral regurgitation and if the left ventricle is normal. Also, ask them if they are specifically concerned about anything, since they know her history very well.
Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
I also have mvp and have had 4 children.  Never once had I had
to be seen by a cardiologist.  My kids never have had any type
of echos done.  The only thing I was told is have antibodics after the births.  
I also have a question for the doctor.  I want to ask this but
I can never post the forum is always full.  I was diagnosised
with mvp l3 yrs ago thru a echo.  All my life my lips will turn
purple easily.  IF I get cold, eat anything cold they turn very purple or even if I get nervous they get a blue tinge to them.  I was told as a child that I have thin skin.  Is it have anything to do with mvp? I can not find too much info on purple lips. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?
More excerise?  I don't exercise enough and I am thinking maybe
there isn't enough oxygen in my blood?
As an OB nurse working in high risk centers for the past 23 years, I have never seen a fetal echo done for a diagnosis of maternal MVP.  
Never.  
?????? Good luck with it.  Let us know.
I just want to say that I think it is a great idea to be monitored during your pregnancy by a cardiologist.  No harm can come from it and possibly it could prevent complications.  I had MVP with slight regurgitation when I became pregnant with my first and only child.  I was not under the care of a cardiologist during the pregnancy.  After I had my child I went into heart failure and developed ventricular tachyacardia.  I am unable to have anymore children.  The regurgitation is now so bad that they are talking about replacing the valve.  I'm not telling you this to scare you but I think that I would not have gone into heart failure and would not have had all the damage done to my heart if I had been monitored by a cardiologist during my pregnancy.  They would have seen that something was going on and would have been able to treat it before it got out of hand.

Good luck!
Good advice, but I think it is likely you suffered peri-partum cardiomyopathy, rather than heart failure due to MVP. Anything is possible however. Ask your cardiologist if the heart failure was PPCM or from the MVP or something else.