Heart Disease Expert Forum
flu shot for heart defect patient

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

flu shot for heart defect patient
I have a 11 month old born with tricuspid atresia and VSD, everyting is going well.  She has oxyegen sat levels between 77-80.  She doesn't have to see a CCF cardiologist until March. She is developmentally on target but is petite 15 pounds. It was suggested that she get a flu shot.  I was wondering if it was OK for her to have that.  What are the pros/cons of this shot?  Will the shot affect her heart condition?  Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thank you,
Janette
The presence of congenital heart disease does not make immunization unsafe; if anything, immunizations are more important in this group. It is fine to proceed with any immunizations your pediatrician feels she needs.