Heart Disease Expert Forum
folic acid and restenosis ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

folic acid and restenosis ?

Should I be taking 400 ug of folic acid daily?   I have a stent in my RCA as of Sept 2012.      I just read a 2004 study in the New England Journal of Medicine which indicates a clear worsening trend for those stented patients undergoing folate therapy, which is a course of folic acid, B12, and B6 greater than I am taking - I just take the 400 ug of folic acid every day and occasionally a multivitamin with b12 and b6.  

Other studies indicate that the homocysteine lowering effect of these additional B vitamins decreases events after angioplasty, although I have not seen a positive study related to the specific issue of stents and restenosis.

so, should a patient like me, with a stent, be taking extra B vitamins?   are there other supplements which can increase restenosis?

thank you
1 Comment
Blank
It seems that you followed the same route of thinking that I did about 2 years ago.

I started with folic acid (5mg) and B vitamins to stop homocisteine and I stopped it when I read the article on restenosis.

Unfortunately we are left without answers... my Dr. does not believe that I need either of them and therefore do not answer any question on it.

My personal understanding is that the risk is due to the combination of both, so I stopped the folic acid and continue with the Vitamine B, otherwise I am extremely tired.

Happy to see that I am not the only "crazy one" that try to take control over his disease and keep informed.

Jesus
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703