Heart Disease Expert Forum
folic acid and restenosis ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

folic acid and restenosis ?

Should I be taking 400 ug of folic acid daily?   I have a stent in my RCA as of Sept 2012.      I just read a 2004 study in the New England Journal of Medicine which indicates a clear worsening trend for those stented patients undergoing folate therapy, which is a course of folic acid, B12, and B6 greater than I am taking - I just take the 400 ug of folic acid every day and occasionally a multivitamin with b12 and b6.  

Other studies indicate that the homocysteine lowering effect of these additional B vitamins decreases events after angioplasty, although I have not seen a positive study related to the specific issue of stents and restenosis.

so, should a patient like me, with a stent, be taking extra B vitamins?   are there other supplements which can increase restenosis?

thank you
1 Comment
It seems that you followed the same route of thinking that I did about 2 years ago.

I started with folic acid (5mg) and B vitamins to stop homocisteine and I stopped it when I read the article on restenosis.

Unfortunately we are left without answers... my Dr. does not believe that I need either of them and therefore do not answer any question on it.

My personal understanding is that the risk is due to the combination of both, so I stopped the folic acid and continue with the Vitamine B, otherwise I am extremely tired.

Happy to see that I am not the only "crazy one" that try to take control over his disease and keep informed.

Jesus