Heart Disease Community
groin pain after angiogram... what's normal?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I had an angiogram 5 days ago, the first two days I couldn't move my leg too much, the 3rd day I was much better, 4th and 5th day (today) I have quite a bit of pain in the groin area, all around the site of the angiogram, quite a bit of bruising which I was expecting, but I don't know if this is normal or if I should go see a Dr.?  

The pain is not there all the time only with movement, ie. walking or standing even, if I just lay down it is not painful.  I felt around the area and it hurts to touch, but I do not have a lump which I guess is good.  

Also my right leg muscle hurt right after the angio and it is still achy..

Any advice?

Thanks.
I'm guessing that you had some bleeding that drifted into the tissues are giving you some pain.  I had that during one of my angiograms.  Did they place a plug in the artery, or did they use pressure to close it up?  I've had a little discomfort when the pressure method is used.  If you have pain tomorrow, I'd contact your doctor to be sure.

Hopefully the angiogram showed no problems, or if a problem was found, it was fixed.  Best wishes.  
Thank you for your reply, yes they used the pressure method to close it up,  I do have an appointment tomorrow so we'll see what my Dr. says.  Thankfully it was found that I have no blockages, my heart is quite healthy, the Dr's do not know what is causing my blood pressure and heart rate to increase with little excertion.

Anyway thanks for your response.
I had a cerebral angio a while back and I remember my groin area hurting for quite a while.  It even knotted up.  Doctor said it was normal and it took weeks to get back to norm.
Question: If there are no blockages and your heart is healthy why was there a risky intervention without some prior knowledge regarding your heart's condition?.  You are fortunate there wasn't a stent implant in a vessel that was slightly occluded...more money.
I had the angiogram to rule out blockages as all my tests are coming back normal but I'm still experiencing chest pressure and very fast heart rate with little exertion, my blood pressure also goes quite high as soon as I get up.  

Luckily I live in Canada so all these treatments I do not have to pay anything for, it's all part of our health coverage.

So here I'm with a healthy heart but with a lot of symptoms that the cardiologist has no clue as to why I have them.

My family doctor is ordering an abdominal ct scan to rule out every other organ now.

I still think is a virus, as it all started right after I had 2 bad colds back in Sept/08.

At least the pain in my leg and groin is better today, hopefully it will be fine soon as I go on a trip on Jan 24th.
Its usually the insurance company (or other) that gets stuck with the expense for stent implant.  The patient gets an implant that may not have been necessary.

A fast heart rate and higher than normal blood pressure can be hperthyroidism.  Take care and good luck.
Thanks for your good wishes....

I've had my thyroid tested too and it is normal, that's the thing every test they are doing is coming back normal, and as much as I am thankful for this it still does not explain why I have all of these symptoms.

Anyway thank you for always taking the time to answer my questions.

Karin
not sure what you mean by your comments.

First comment you made: "If there are no blockages and your heart is healthy why was there a risky intervention without some prior knowledge regarding your heart's condition?"

You have an angiogram in order to find out or rule out blockages. The other test that is used to identify an issue would be a Stress test but they only reveal disease or issues 85% of the time and are not as accurate as angiograms. So you won't know that you have a blockage until you do an angiogram.

Second comment you made: "The patient gets an implant that may not have been necessary"

You only get a stent if the artery is blocked by 70% or more - in other words you only get it if it's needed or if there is a risk that the blockage could lead to a heart attack and death. Doctors avoid doing a procedure if it's not necessary because even a procedure like a stent has it's risks/benefits and this is one of those examples. Getting stents isn't like going to a mechanic and paying for a problem that you don't have or need fixed. This is people's health we're talking about and these procedures are used to reduce risk of death due to a heart attack.

Also, who cares about the money if the test will rule out the risk of blockage and potentially a heart attack and death.
I have the exact same symptoms. Have had many tests with no results or explanations as too what drives my BP up so high just by sitting up from a laying position and even worse when I stand. My BP dips as low as 100/66 during the night. I'm going crazy cause it's extremely hard to function and lead a normal life. I sincerely hope you find some relief soon.