Heart Disease Community
hair loss by beta blocker?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

hair loss by beta blocker?

I am on atenolol twice a day, alos 80mg;. lipitor,furosomide and lisinopril. Is there a substitue for the beta blockers that cause hair loss
80mg is a high dosage of beta blocker, and the max recommended for atenolol in 100mg. Maybe you could ask your gp to try a more powerful reacting beta blocker, one which requires much less dosage with the same effect. Bisoprolol fumrate is a powerful beta blocker and most people take 1.25mg - 20mg.
You have to start on a low dose and gradually increase it over a few weeks until you find the right level. If you suddenly jump in at 20mg, your heart could start to pump too slowly. They made this mistake with me and my heart rate went to 23 and was hospitalised until the drug came out of my system. So slowly is the key word. The usual starting dose is 5mg to monitor how you react.
Oh I forgot to mention. Bisoprolol does have hair loss as a side effect but is recorded as just 1 in every 10,000 people and usually those on highest doses.
I must start putting everything in one post, but thoughts come after ive submitted the reply lol.
Hair loss can obviously be caused by other things, maybe the beta blockers are a coincidence? Just a thought.
Stress can cause hair loss and a lack of three major ingredients in the body. You could ask your gp to do a blood test for.....
Iron, vitamin b12 and folic acid.  The three are associated with each other and if you are low in any of these, you could suffer hair loss over time.